You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.7.1 won't start

r8n

Since my wife updated to the latest version of designer (1.7.1) it's unable to start. I thought that it could be that we didn't have the latest MacOS-version, but now when I updated to Mojave 10.14.5 it still won't start. I clicked on "restart" (reicinar) twice and it produced two more error notifications. There's a lot of more content in the screens but maybe this is enough to start with.

Thankful for help!

crash2.png

crash1.png

crash3.png

• Staff

Hi r8n,

Ideally we need to see the entire contents of that screen as it doesn't display Thread 2 which is what has crashed. You can get a copy of that file by dragging the icon in the title bar! Alternatively just copy and paste the entire contents of that text field into a text file and attach that.

Did you purchase the application from the Mac App Store? If so could you try the following please:

• Navigate to \Users\username\Library\Containers\ and then rename the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder to com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old. Once you've done that could you see if that runs up? If it does could you attach a copy of the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old file please? Note this will reset the app, but keep a backup of all your data.

If you purchased from the Affinity Store follow these steps:

• Navigate to \Users\username\Library\Application Support\ and then rename the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder to com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old. Once you've done that could you see if that runs up? If it does could you attach a copy of the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old file please? Note this will reset the app, but keep a backup of all your data.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2019 at 10:09 AM, Sean P said:

Hi r8n,

Ideally we need to see the entire contents of that screen as it doesn't display Thread 2 which is what has crashed. You can get a copy of that file by dragging the icon in the title bar! Alternatively just copy and paste the entire contents of that text field into a text file and attach that.

Did you purchase the application from the Mac App Store? If so could you try the following please:

• Navigate to \Users\username\Library\Containers\ and then rename the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder to com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old. Once you've done that could you see if that runs up? If it does could you attach a copy of the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old file please? Note this will reset the app, but keep a backup of all your data.

If you purchased from the Affinity Store follow these steps:

• Navigate to \Users\username\Library\Application Support\ and then rename the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner folder to com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old. Once you've done that could you see if that runs up? If it does could you attach a copy of the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.old file please? Note this will reset the app, but keep a backup of all your data.

Thanks

I've been unable to find any of those folders. The only thing that appears when I search for "com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner" in Finder is a file named "com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.appinfo". 

What doesn't help is that the system language on the computer is in Spanish, since my wife is a native Spanish-speaker, but I'm not. I will attach the crash report in full.

Affinity Designer_2019-08-12-083712_MacBook-Pro-de-Kathya.crash

• Staff

Hi r8n,

That's strange, those folders might have Spanish equivalent names, but i'm not entirely sure. Do you have any brushes, styles or assets that you would miss if you were to lose them?

If not then you can do a full reset by holding Ctrl when running the application up. This will present you with a series of tick boxes allowing you to reset certain things. If you tick all of these and click 'Clear' it will reset the application to its default (therefore removing any added brushes, styles or assets). However it should allow you to go get back into the software!

Hi Sean P,

Maybe it's some setting in Finder that doesn't allow seeing all files? Or it's me who is incompatible with Mac? ;) (PC/Windows user since the beginning)

Well, the Ctrl-thing did the trick, It works now! And I got to be the hero of the day thanks to you Sean P.

Many Thanks!

• Staff
9 hours ago, r8n said:

Hi Sean P,

Maybe it's some setting in Finder that doesn't allow seeing all files? Or it's me who is incompatible with Mac? ;) (PC/Windows user since the beginning)

Well, the Ctrl-thing did the trick, It works now! And I got to be the hero of the day thanks to you Sean P.

Many Thanks!

Haha not a problem! Glad you got it sorted - enjoy being the hero! :)