You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sony A7lll raw files not opening

This is my situation.....

iPad 12.9” on iPad OS public beta.

Affinity Photo up to date.

Sony A7lll Raw files.

RAW files air drop from MacBook Pro.

the images show as full size raw in iPad photos. When brought into Affinity Photo, they open in photo persona as 360x540 jpeg.

I can open them in iPad photo as raw and make adjustments to them, so iPad os can recognise and adjust them. I have iPad set to download and keep originals and ‘optimise iPad storage is not active. Am I missing something that will not let me use my Sony RAW files. 

Also, when connecting SSD to iPad, I cannot import directly from there either. It seems AP cannot recognise the Sony A7lll raw files.

On my desktop version, the files also open in Photo Persona.

Any help would be appreciated as I have just upgraded my iPad in order to take advantage of AP on the move.

You mention that Affinity Photo is up-to-date. But please let us know which version you're using.

I'm using the release version 1.7.1.143, and I also have the 1.7.1.146 beta. I'm not seeing any issue in either app for recognizing and opening Sony A7R III raw files. My 9.7" iPad Pro is running iOS 12.3.1. 

Maybe this is an iPadOS issue, which is still in early beta. Try going back to an official iOS release, and see if you're still having trouble with your camera's raw images.

Apple iPad Pro Space Gray.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I am on 1.7.1.143     I converted the same two images to dng and tried to open them:- unsucessfully. Now have 2 each of 2 raw images in photos on iPad. Unfortunately, I don't know which are sony raw and which are dng's. Anyhow, I tried opening them again and managed to open one file out of the three, it opened in develop persona and I was able to play about with it. I am not ruling out glitches in the apple beta os, or my method of transferring the images to the iPad. I will need to get my Apple photos on my mac book  sorted and buy some cloud space to see if it helps by syncing the library. I do not want to have to rely on internet to get my images though, which is why I am playing about with SSD and this beta OS. Here's hoping.

IMG_1024.JPG

• Staff

Hi djmcd0 :)

As the iPadOS is currently in beta we don't officially support this in Affinity yet, my apologies. iPadOS 13 brings many Files changes to the OS and these are yet to be implemented in Affinity Photo, so I must say I'm not 100% surprised we're not importing the correct image here. Once we have official support for iOS13 I am certain this will have been addressed.

In the meantime, if you open a RAW image from a Cloud library, rather than your Camera Roll does this open correctly?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

To avoid buying cloud space and relying on internet or having another computer handy try using a wireless hub. I use the Kingston MLG3 it will read most files and allows a USB device and has a slot for an SD card. It is limited to 2TB hardrives and new drives have to be formatted to MBR partion

I import from the Kingston app directly into Affinity and save and export to the Kingston app then the SSD in the USB slot.

$25-30 for the device.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, we haven't yet tested the new USB storage system that iPad OS allows, however once the build is public I'm certain we'll have these ironed out :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!