You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You would need to have a Character Style to apply to the words/characters you want in italics.

I assume you want italics to be in italics while the rest is in normal.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Sorry, I wasn't clear it concerns a Publisher issue.

When I place a Word text, which contains plain text with some italics, it shows up correct in Publisher. But the moment I assign a paragraph style to the text, the italics change in regular. Is there a way to prevent this?

Make your paragraph style and then make a Character Style with only the Italic check box ticked leave everything else as No Change. Call it Italic This will make the Italic form 'stick' in the next step.

1707491862_ScreenShot2019-07-02at2_15_38PM.thumb.png.afe0e48e53abd0b55b5358520b4e9dd3.png

Use the find and replace to find the italic in the new text from Word, use the format section of the find and replace. It is in the Gear Icon in the top right.  Again just use the italic In the Format section that will pop up. In the Replace section use the Character Style and choose the Italic Character Style you just made.

816263002_ScreenShot2019-07-02at2_17_55PM.png.6e1e5ce9eb01c2ef5ff577790bce2de8.png

Now you have the ability to apply your Paragraph Style and retain the imported italics.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

That behaviour (replacing italics and bolds) is a problem. Styles should honour local formatting and remove it only as forced. The Trait option [no change] in Text style/Font options indicates that it should be honoured.

If you just want a quick and dirty job then 'place' text with local character formatting, eg some words in italics, or underlined, or bold, then go to the text styles panel, right click on the style you want (which you may have created previously) and then pick "apply [text style name] to paragraphs and preserve local formatting". It does precisely that - applies the paragraph style but does not affect local character formating. Quick and dirty as although the character formating is retained, it is not a character style. If you want character traits to be character styles then it seems to me you will need to follow Old Bruce's advice.

2 hours ago, Max Beinema said:

Thank you Old Bruce. It works fine!

For me this method has one advantage: i will have to perform the procedure of 'find & replace' for every new imported piece of text?

<Nit Pick> one disadvantage </Nit Pick>

If you have twelve text files to place you can work carefully and place all twelve then perform the Find and Replace once. 

Yes, of course, that's important. It's just that i often work with clients that come with small changes more than once ....
I'm investigating Publisher as a possible alternative for Indesign. So this feature is a disadvantage. But there could be others that are in favour of Indesign ....

Thank you for your advice!

1 hour ago, Wasp11b said:

If you just want a quick and dirty job then 'place' text with local character formatting, eg some words in italics, or underlined, or bold, then go to the text styles panel, right click on the style you want (which you may have created previously) and then pick "apply [text style name] to paragraphs and preserve local formatting". It does precisely that - applies the paragraph style but does not affect local character formating. Quick and dirty as although the character formating is retained, it is not a character style. If you want character traits to be character styles then it seems to me you will need to follow Old Bruce's advice.

Thank you for your reaction. I think i would stick to Old Bruce's method, which – so it seems to me – is more solid and flexible.

1 hour ago, Wasp11b said:

pick "apply [text style name] to paragraphs and preserve local formatting".

ah, true. In InDesign that is the default behaviour. Not a problem for my work flow as I tend to select all text, apply body style (and here in Publisher with preserve local formatting) at one go, them apply other styles one by one (which rarely need italics).

I just found out that there is one other issue which will keep me away from Publisher: it doesn't recognize and can't deal with footnotes!

I think the designers of this progamm made some wrong choices here. What a pity! At first Publisher seemed to be very promising.