You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quality/image preview when Exporting

I have been using PS for years, and when you in PS perform the Save for Web action with "cmd+alt+shift+s" you see a preview of the image that will be saved. When you in Affinity Photo use the same command for Export you DO NOT see any preview of the image that will be exported. So why its this so important to have?!:

Im saving images to used online 99,9% of the time. That means i want to have the best quality possible, with the smallest file size possible. In PS and JPEG export you can lower the quality, to reduce the file size, until the image quality is no longer acceptable. Then save. In Affinity Photo you can do the same, but with the big difference that you can not see how the image will turn out until you have completed the export! 

• 2 weeks later...

Exporting images is one of the most crucial parts of using this software, but I cannot for the life of me work out how to get good (let alone great) results. Even "Best Quality" jpg images are mushy and pixelated (and about 10x the file size they should be!). 

An image preview panel during export is almost essential for anyone who wants to fine-tune their exports accurately. Photoshop has had this for decades... 

Its annoying and frustrating every single time you are up for an export... which is for almost every single picture you are working on. Its like: What should we do today? 75, 85 or maybe 62% quality. And the only feedback you get is the file size. But this is not about zipping down a file as small as possible to be able to send it over a dial up modem from 1993. This is about the ability to get the optimal trade off between file size and image quality. But when it comes to Affinity Photo you only have one 1 leg of the 2 that is necessary... The image preview is not there so you are working in the blind.

• 8 months later...

Hi. New Affinity convert from Photoshop here. Lack of image preview has me totally stumped though. Seems bizarre that it doesn't exist. Feel like I'm working completely in the dark when exporting images for web. Surely this should be on the roadmap otherwise how else are you supposed to know what your final image actually looks like? 

• 1 month later...

Same here! I'm dumbfounded as to why that feature ( export preview in Affinity photo and designer ) doesn't exist??? IT'S A NEEDED FUNCTION!  Makes no sense and it looks to me like the Affinity people don't care. This has been something devs/pros have been asking for since 2015. I am seeing articles online about pros going back to Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator because of this. Why doesn't the Affinity team come clean to let us know what's going on with it? I just paid for two of the apps and now I'm regretting it.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:28 AM, K.m said:

Its annoying and frustrating every single time you are up for an export... which is for almost every single picture you are working on. Its like: What should we do today? 75, 85 or maybe 62% quality. And the only feedback you get is the file size. But this is not about zipping down a file as small as possible to be able to send it over a dial up modem from 1993. This is about the ability to get the optimal trade off between file size and image quality. But when it comes to Affinity Photo you only have one 1 leg of the 2 that is necessary... The image preview is not there so you are working in the blind.

I feel your pain! Just got the app and its not fun!

• 10 months later...

hi there,

that was for me the biggest feature missing so far. 

once in while i check if they maybe listened to the users and added this feature. and just now i found out they did.

but... it is very slow and shows me a preview in 24% of the original size with no option to go to 100% which is crucial for checking the quality. its a small image as it is and 24% is like a poststamp on my display.

any advise how to make the preview 100%?

thanks a million! best regards, kai  

hi meb ;)

thanks a million! and cmd+2 etc. also work. great! maybe you could make that clear in this preview window with a small hint? ;)

since when is this feature available? i read the changes in every update but never came across the preview when saving. 

i bought the app years ago but when i found out that there is no preview i was stuck with ps – until now that is 🎉

Thank you so so SO much for adding the Preview. But to be honest. I completely missed that button! Why not display that as default? I would love to see a comparison between original image, and the one im about to save.. so I easier can see if im loosing details or not compared to the original.

8 minutes ago, K.m said:

Thank you so so SO much for adding the Preview. But to be honest. I completely missed that button! Why not display that as default? I would love to see a comparison between original image, and the one im about to save.. so I easier can see if im loosing details or not compared to the original.

+1

hi meb,

thanks for listening! :)
why do you say it has been withdrawn for now? do you refer to the preview window? i can see it...
it just needs some polishing. like K.m writes above. and maybe make the default preview 100% and not a fraction of that.

thanks again, kai

• Staff

Hi @Kai, @K.m,
I'm sorry for the confusion. My original post was edited by someone - I'm trying to find out why. The preview button is indeed included in the current Retail and Betas (both on macOS and Windows). My apologies.
Regarding your question, the Beta is identified as such though the application icons (it should say Beta over the regular icon), in the application menu on macOS (should say Affinity Photo Beta rather than just Affinity Photo or whatever app you are using without the Beta at the end) and application menu icon on Windows (on the left of the File) and Help > About dialog (should say Beta after the build number between parenthesis).

As far as i know this is intended to be a preview for single exports, not a full blown preview/comparison as in Photoshop (save for web) or Fireworks. That would be more appropriate for the Export Persona eventually.

• Staff

@MEBAbsolute mistake, sorry everyone for the confusion. I saw Export Preview, but read "export timeline as animation" and edited MEB's post. I have just realised my error and came back to edit the post back to it's original state, but I can see it is too late and I have already caused confusion. Many apologies to all especially MEB

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

"export timeline as animation"

Hm… now that sounds interesting! A hint at an upcoming feature perhaps…? ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 years later...

I'm very interested in using Affinity Designer, but I'm confused by the Export Image function. It seems odd that a program as intuitive and easy-to-use as Affinity Designer would lack a fundamental feature like a robust image export and preview function.

Can someone please help me understand what I'm missing here???

Hi @ortonom and welcome to the forums,

See the reply to your other post on the same topic here...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse