You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher: Is there some kind of automatic consecutive numbering for graphic texts?

When creating menus I always end up numbering the food and drinks by hand, which is especially cumbersome if the client adds or removes food while I'm working on it or wants to switch the order. Because I have to renumber everything from hand again.

I googled around if there is some way but all I found was list numbering in Textfields. I'm using graphics text though and would like to have the numbering continue across pages based on their order.

Is there, for example, a way to include some numbering or counting variable into a graphics text field? If not I think this is a feature that would be very useful, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this use case.

Might you be looking for the paragraph style option "Bullets and Numbering"?
It has quite a few settings for its auto-numbering, you even can define, with what number a numbering should start.

1369326734_bulletsandnumberingoptions.jpg.ae6b64a404034939e4b3045c5bf43f6b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, Dave Harris said:

Use Bullets and Numbering, and give the list a Name, and set Restart numbering to Manual Only.

Thank you so much, the Global Naming was what takes the cake! I found this Numbering option too but wasn't able to make it work for graphic texts, only for a single text paragraph

@thomaso thank you very much as well, having the numbering start at a certain number is definitely a handy feature, I have one graphic text per item though so this doesn't make it much better than manually entering the number in my case. Appreciate the help though.

Edit: However one question remains: what does it base the numbering on? At first I thought it was the order of the layers in the layers panel but it's not that. The numbers are totally mixed up and I have no idea how to get them in order.

Edit 2: okay it is the ordering of the layers, just in reverse order than I expected.

Thank you all for the quick help and sorry for my late reply.

1 hour ago, JanHol said:

Edit: However one question remains: what does it base the numbering on? At first I thought it was the order of the layers in the layers panel but it's not that. The numbers are totally mixed up and I have no idea how to get them in order.

Within a text frame it should be top to bottom.

Within a set of linked text frames it should still be top to bottom within each frame, and first frame to last based on the linking.

With unlinked text frames on a page it might depend on the order the text was written, or the order in the Layers panel (bottom to top), or something else.

Without seeing screen shots or (better) the actual document it's hard to say.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Within a text frame it should be top to bottom.

Within a set of linked text frames it should still be top to bottom within each frame, and first frame to last based on the linking.

With unlinked text frames on a page it might depend on the order the text was written, or the order in the Layers panel (bottom to top), or something else.

Without seeing screen shots or (better) the actual document it's hard to say.

As stated in my edit I figured it out :) it's bottom to top as you can see on the screenshot, the layers on the right and the produced numbering on the page itself in the center.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-03 um 19.28.44.png