You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dodge Tool Doesn't work

So before the update, I could use dodge and burn on a new pixel layer and it would allow me to shade or brighten any area I chose, like eyes, teeth etc.

Now I cannot use the dodge tool on anything but the already super bright areas of a pixel layer. It does not matter what the opacity is, the hardness or the flow. It does not matter if the mid tones, highlights or shadows are chosen in the tool bar at the top of the page. I used to be able to apply dodge to any dark area, now I cannot. Same goes for Adding Burn to highlight areas. 

I cannot use this tool with any type of drawing tablet and have to click a mouse to apply any type of burn or dodge, which only works selectively. I am not sure if there is a setting i have that is wrong, or if there is something i am missing but this is pretty frustrating as I know someone who has not installed the update and they have no problems using the dodge or burn tool.

• Staff

Hey MelissaB, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

The tool is working for me in both release and the beta. It sounds like you've checked the obvious (opacity, flow etc.) so I'm not entirely sure why this doesn't seem to work. Are you perhaps using a custom brush with no Accumulation or something? It's worth checking the brush settings of the selected brush.

I've been using an Intuos Pro w/ an Airbrush pen as reference.

Can you take a screenshot of your entire screen so we can see what settings are being used? We might spot something that you may have missed. 

Hi MelissaB,

I would like to suggest my workflow for dodge & burn:

1. make a new pixellayer, fill it with middle gray (50%)

2. set the blend mode to soft light

3. take the paintbrush-tool and set the opacity to 10 - 20% and the flow beyond 50% or to your like.

4. now paint with pure white  for dodging or pure black for burning .

you can also use the dodge and burn-tool with midtones selected, it works similar. By pressing and hold the alt-key you can alter between dodge and burn, this save you some time.

If you change the blend mode to normal you can easily correct parts that have gone to far.

I hope these instructions are understandable, my english is not the best. :-)

So you see the picture on the left is the orginal image, and allows only dodge to be applied to the already very bright areas. My brush is at 100% accumulation. 

It wont allow me to dodge on the new pixel layer on any spot except the very bright areas. I have tried midtones, highlights, shadows with no success. My drawing tablet only sometimes works, the mouse works but only if I click, not drag. 

20190702_210225.jpg

20190702_210244.jpg

• Staff
10 hours ago, MelissaB said:

It makes the pen unusable. So turning off windows Ink isnt much of a choice. 

Thanks for trying. I just wanted to see if it was interfering. Next step is to attach the file you're working on. Can you attach it so we can have a go? :)