You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Global colors as System Palette

Please think about your request. What happens when you change one of the Global Colours, from a red to a green? All objects change their colour, everywhere, in all documents, as soon as you open them again. If I send a document to a colleague who has the Old global colours on her machine then when she opens the document the colours change to match her system global colours.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@RenWaller, I was just thinking the same! But, @Old Bruce, you are probably right about the consequences. This could create problems for some users.

But I also think that the way global colors work could be better. Thinking of Indesign, all color swatches act as document global colors. If I change a color swatch, all the items that use this are changed. This does only happen with "global colors" in AD and AP. But what is the use of the "non-global" document color swatches? Aren't these pretty much useless? 

I would love to have every color swatch work as a "document global color". 

Alternatively, I'd be okay with a way of importing a saved palette to a document and turning all the swatches into "global colors" at once. This is only possible one by one at the moment.

Edited by k_au

39 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

If I send a document to a colleague who has the Old global colours on her machine then when she opens the document the colours change to match her system global colours.

Even more to the point, what happens when that colleague doesn't have those global colors at all?

Also, system palettes are provided by the underlying operating system, and I seriously doubt it has a facility to track the concept of "global colors" - at best this might be a possibility for application palettes, but you would still have the other above-mentioned issues...

17 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Even more to the point, what happens when that colleague doesn't have those global colors at all?

That wouldn't be a problem, would it? I guess these colors would just be "imported" for the colleague.

19 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Also, system palettes are provided by the underlying operating system, and I seriously doubt it has a facility to track the concept of "global colors" - at best this might be a possibility for application palettes, but you would still have the other above-mentioned issues...

I believe @RenWaller may have meant "program palettes" or "application palettes" since I don't see the term "system palette" anywhere in AD/AP.