mayo

Opening Illustrator files removes all objects outside of canvas

I have a lot of Illustrator files that have elements (assets) outside of the main canvas. When I try to open these in Affinity Designer, everything outside of the canvas gets permanently clipped and removed, leaving me with only objects that are visible (or partially visible) on canvas (they can't be made visible with View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas). I need to import/open these files preserving all data, is there any way?

You would need to expand the artboard in Illustrator to encompass the assets. 

iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo, Publisher Beta 1.7.0.140, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials Instagram & Flickr - Affinity Live 19th June 2019

@mayo

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums,

Affinity Designer does not actually open the AI stream, but instead it interprets the PDF file that is included inside most AI files. That PDF file only shows the visible part of the AI file so the work around that firstdefence has suggested is the correct one to get the PDF to include more objects

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform