You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when clicking on any arbitrary object in the document

Suddenly Publisher quit when clicking on a text frame after working on the table of contents. After restarting the first click inside the document resulted in a crash. Resaving was possible but did not solve the problem. Same when trying to open the document in Affinity Designer. 9-page document is 195 MB despite not containing any photo.L&S Publisher.afpub

System: MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6, further information attached.

Thank you in advance for your efforts.

073CB3AB-2956-46BC-BE39-035628723566.jpg

L&S_Publisher_Kopie.afpub

Edited by Zaglbauer
Added corrupt file after realizing that its size was no problem to upload. :-)

• Staff

I'm afraid it sounds like the file has become slightly corrupt. You don't specify but I assume when you resaved it the attached file is what was saved?

Do you have a version of the file that was loading but crashing when interacting with objects? There might be more of an indication as to what happened there.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Zaglbauer

The last file you uploaded is truncated (shorter than expected)

You may be having trouble uploading large files to this forum (as do I)

Can you upload that file to Dropbox or somewhere else and supply a link to it back here in the forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks, the document loads alright for me now, and I've been clicking around it and have yet to have it crash, do you get a crash when selecting any object in the document or is it some objects specifically?

Regarding the document size, it will mostly be coming from the pdf and afdesigner file you have linked, linking pdfs/affinity files will currently lead to a similar file size as embedding them, which is something we are looking to improve.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I've been playing around with a test file, checking out Studio Link, etc. Publisher has crashed on me twice. This latest time I was using the in-painting tool in the Photo Persona. My test document has one master page, three pages, one image, and three text boxes of filler. So sad. I want this baby to work like I know it can and will someday...

I was flirting with the idea of designing my company's next magazine issue solely with Affinity products, but I'm scared. If files are going to get corrupted and the apps are going to crash so often, I don't feel I can rely on them for a big project. :/ I would literally throw up if I lost an entire magazine issue. 

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Hi Jon, Publisher even crashes when clicking on no objects at all. I can safely click on the menu bar and the tools panels but anywhere else results in a crash.

I am able to import the corrupted file into a new document without problems. But, as mentioned above, any new document crashes Publisher when trying to import the text styles of the corrupted file..

• 1 month later...