You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this as I am new to this forum. I've managed to get a few affinity designer/photo files recovered off of a hard drive but some of them wont open in affinity designer because they are "corrupted" I've read around the forum and realize that if the file is truncated it can't be recovered, but only 1 or 2 of the files give a truncated prompt when I open them in affinity designer. since I have quite a few files (some of which are quite large) I want to know if there is a method or program that I can use to repair any of the corrupted files that may still be useable.

Are these Jpegs or Affinity files .afphoto .afdesign ?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Samuelm9,

Welcome to the forums :)

On 7/1/2019 at 8:02 PM, samuelm9 said:

I want to know if there is a method or program that I can use to repair any of the corrupted files that may still be useable.

If the files you're referring to are Affinity native format, such as .afdesign then there's no way of repairing the file within app, nor can we repair the file here, my apologies.

If you wish, you can upload a copy of one of the corrupted files to the following links for our devs to investigate, then I can pass these through, however we will likely only be able to provide a possible reason for the corruption as we cannot repair truncated files in the majority of cases, my sincerest apologies.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/JPflFSN8dHbammN7aLGy 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

5 minutes ago, Dan C said:

we cannot repair truncated files in the majority of cases

What about files which aren’t truncated, Dan? The OP stated that only one or two of the files give a ‘truncated’ prompt.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

I can't offer any guarantees here as repairing files is assessed on a file-by-file basis, so without a file to test (or apparent reason for corruption) it is up to our devs to investigate and attempt to repair - if possible.

Usually any corruption issue in an Affinity file leads to truncation, but if this is not the case we can look further into the files history etc and possibly recover them, but without more information or a specific file/corruption error then this is mostly a generic response, apologies for not being clearer.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I'll attached one of the files to the link. The file is large and doesn't give me the truncated error (which as I stated, I do get for two files ) but it does say its corrupted. it is an .afphoto file and some of the others are .afdesign, I understand in the case of truncated files its not possible to recover. hopefully these aren't truncated (since I don't get that warning) and maybe also don't have the same issue. Thanks for the help! hopefully there's something I can do.

New side note. if you are unable to repair it I may still have one way of getting it off of thew hard drive but the program wants information like the file signature, offset and max file size or something like that in order to properly discover the files. I'm not sure if that means anything to you but if I can't fix the files I have maybe I can recover them from the drive.

Edited by samuelm9

• Staff

This has been investigated by our developers and unfortunately your files cannot be recovered.

It appears as though you may have had a system panic, because the file is full of random bits of memory from other software. I noticed you're recovering these files from a hard-drive. Is the HDD itself dying/dead, or was this taken from a machine that has recently given up the ghost?

On 7/4/2019 at 9:58 AM, samuelm9 said:

the program wants information like the file signature, offset and max file size or something like that in order to properly discover the files.

Unfortunately this isn't information I can provide, my apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 7/3/2019 at 2:38 AM, Dan C said:

I can't offer any guarantees here as repairing files is assessed on a file-by-file basis, so without a file to test (or apparent reason for corruption) it is up to our devs to investigate and attempt to repair - if possible.

Usually any corruption issue in an Affinity file leads to truncation, but if this is not the case we can look further into the files history etc and possibly recover them, but without more information or a specific file/corruption error then this is mostly a generic response, apologies for not being clearer.

Yeah its a dying drive that had a few issues in an update (like an idiot I forgot to back everything up). No worries thanks for your time. I'll see if I can hire someone to recover whatever is left on the drive. I was afraid that it was getting mixed with other data, since the files seemed so large, looks like my fears were confirmed. Again thanks for taking the time to respond.

Edited by samuelm9