You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SandBox Error

When I am editing a photo within publisher, I am getting a sandbox error in the resource manager when I re-save the image after making changes. I am clicking the "Edit Image" button to bring the placed image in its own window to edit.  I would expect the resource manage to show that is modified, but not missing that I have to relink. The image I am editing contains a vector mask that I am adjusting. The image is being saved out as an Affinity Tiff file with layers. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

What causes this? How can I avoid this happening when editing images? 

What do you mean by a "sandbox error"?

For me (on Windows) when I save the modified file from the Publisher's Photo Person I get a popup saying something was modified, and if I click on the Resource Manager link in the popup the Resource Manager opens and shows the file as modified. (So, that's different from what you saw.)

I then tried to close the tab I had been editing in with the Photo Persona, and Publisher crashed. This seems reproduceable, as I've done it twice now. Perhaps that's what you're seeing as a sandbox error?

Mine was also a TIFF file with layers. I wonder if that's relevant.

When using the Photo Persona to edit the linked image, I would not have expected the Resource Manager to say it is modified. I would have expected all that to be adjusted automatically. But I see that is not how it works. Maybe the Personas will be improved later in this area.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I too get a the message that the image has been modified outside publisher and that I need to update the image. When I go to the resource manager the update button is not available with the sandbox error in the status. 

2021009273_ScreenShot2019-07-01at2_57_29PM.thumb.png.7beb185a8ebdbb0d4aa5020eee9fd578.png

Interesting. Thanks for the added info.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

@ Walt, "sandbox" is a security software in macOS, simpel spoken a kind of firewall for processes of system or apps and their files. In macs Activity Monitor.app you can see which process runs in a sandbox. Not all processes or apps use a sandbox. But sandbox is mandatory for apps sold in the App Store.

about_sandboxing.png.e7b4dbdbfbeb9ec6c5adf7ec7477bbe4.png

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/Security/Conceptual/AppSandboxDesignGuide/AboutAppSandbox/AboutAppSandbox.html

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Thomaso

So....my problems lies within the Mac OS itself not giving publisher permission to access the file through the sandbox?

Would it be fair to say that publisher would not have this error if I had bought it direct from the affinity store?

jbartley, unfortunately i do not know the right answer to either of both questions. Possibly the problem is a mix of different things. The sandbox message may also be due to another problem starting somewhere else in the workflow but not issuing a message. However, I assume that enabling to switch personas (apps) may be tricky, for example, if those app sandboxes need to merge or intersect. Concerning fairness you might want to read what an appearently disappointed developer wrote in 2014: https://blog.helftone.com/mac-app-store-the-subtle-exodus/

What I would try to limit the issue in your .afpub:
– Use a workflow without switching personas: Edit and save a linked resource not in Publisher but in its initial app.
– If a linked resource refuses an update or replace: delete it and place it as a new object.
– Don't save Affinity files on your Desktop but rather in your Documents folder.

• 4 weeks later...

I also get the sandbox error on all my image after the app crashes. I have ran into a bug that crashes the app when applying vector masks (I have already reported). Once the app crashes, all the images come back blurry and unlinked with sandbox error. I have to manually replace all the image after a crash. Not good.:38_worried:

11 hours ago, jbartley said:

sandbox error on all my image after the app crashes.

That's even more strange because it would mean, the crash is causing the sandbox errors – or, the error message is an error. What if you, in case of a sudden sandbox error for all images, do not re-link the resources but reboot your mac only? Or if you switch to a different user on your mac and open the file there?

Lol. I think I am getting my thread confused with my crash issue... But somehow I think they are somehow related. The sandbox issue is not always related to the app crashing. 

But to keep things straight I will post this here too.

Restarting the app after getting the a sandbox error looks to fix the issue after clicking the "Globally Authorize" the permissions. Ill do more testing on this al well. 

1408173754_ScreenShot2019-07-25at9_26_54AM.thumb.png.bcf19062191b8d39cac63e9e205fa2e2.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

@jbartley Are you alright with this now? I would expect to see the dialog shown in your last post if you have sandbox errors, as it is correct that if you are running a Mac App Store version the app needs permission, but if you now clicked Authorise global I would hope you've not seen this issue since?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 1 year later...

Hi! 

I keep getting the same pop up as above (authorising global) every time I open my document. It contains about 50 links and every time I open the document, I have to re-link every one of them. When I open the resources manager, I get the sandbox errors noted above. I use Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 with Mac OS Mojave.

I have stored the document in my documents folder (not the desktop). 

Could you please let me know what I have to do to fix this? It is driving me a bit mad ;-)

Thanks, Annefloor