You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

where are crash reports for publisher kept please?

Hi,  Question is in the title.  Publisher crashing a little too often over the last week.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

What OS do you use?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What OS do you use?

From a previous post of Chris26: "I am on windows with publisher.  Try to keep everything else on a Mac though"

On Mac look in the Console app under User Reports. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks, @firstdefence.

On Windows, %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Firstdefence and Walt thanks.  Apple I know, so easy.  But Windows maccheeseburger - I have no idea what the asterixes mean Walt, sorry.  But I typed in the word appdata into the search and got 35 files none of them associated with Affinity,am I  not looking in the right place?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

18 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Firstdefence and Walt thanks.  Apple I know, so easy.  But Windows maccheeseburger - I have no idea what the asterixes mean Walt, sorry.  But I typed in the word appdata into the search and got 35 files none of them associated with Affinity,am I  not looking in the right place?

Them is percents not asterisks these are Asterisks * aka furry balls. 

%appdata% is how cmd.exe (and Windows in general) does variables. So %AppData% is the variable name for the application data directory, it's kind of like an abbreviation/shorthand. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

%appdata% is how cmd.exe (and Windows in general) does variables. So %AppData% is the variable name for the application data directory, it's kind of like a abbreviation/shorthand. 

Ok, nice to know, not that I understand computer valuables:), but where on earth is it?

4 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Ok, nice to know, not that I understand computer valuables:), but where on earth is it?

This will probably help more than I can type: https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/cant-see-the-appdata-folder/

Basically appdata is hidden so crazy people can't mess their computers up, but basically when unhidden it resides: C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData

This will probably help more than I can type: https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/cant-see-the-appdata-folder/

Basically appdata is hidden so crazy people can't mess their computers up, but basically when unhidden it's resides: C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData

Ok it is not there, that actually was the first place I looked before posting.  Sorry, but trying to find a file in windows is like asking my wife where the marmite is and being given the longitde and latitude co-ordinates of my house where the marmite is labelled MarM1T3, hidden behid the fridge and sealed with a padlock.

EDIT - FOUND THEM

5 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Ok it is not there, that actually was the first place I looked before posting.  Sorry, but trying to find a file in windows is like asking my wife where the marmite is and being given the longitde and latitude co-ordinates of my house where the marmite is labelled MarM1T3, hidden behid the fridge and sealed with a padlock.

I knew it, I looked behind the fridge and found a secret safe, all I have to do is crack the code...

did you unhide the folder, it should show as a faded folder?

Go to Your folder C:\Users\Your name: and click View on the ribbon menu then tick the box hidden items.

I knew it, I looked behind the fridge and found a secret safe, all I have to do is crack the code...

did you unhide the folder, it should show as a faded folder?

Go to Your folder C:\Users\Your name: and click View on the ribbon menu then tick the box hidden items.

Yes sorry you must have missed my edit.  Found it, with about 15 dump files, though none of them are dated for the last two days oddly when affinity pub crashed a number of times.  Just wanted to see if there was anything there.  

14 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Basically appdata is hidden so crazy people can't mess their computers up, but basically when unhidden it resides: C:\Users\[user_name]\AppData

Just to confuse us all, the environment variable %AppData% actually points to the Roaming subfolder of the current user’s AppData folder. (You need to unhide the AppData folder to make it show up when you’re viewing its parent folder, but you don’t actually need to unhide it in order to see what’s in the AppData folder itself, or to see the contents of its subfolders.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Just to confuse us all, the environment variable %AppData% actually points to the Roaming subfolder of the current user’s AppData folder. (You need to unhide the AppData folder to make it show up when you’re viewing its parent folder, but you don’t actually need to unhide it in order to see what’s in the AppData folder itself, or to see the contents of its subfolders.)

Ah perfect timing Alfred  3999 + 1 = ?

How long can he stay at 4000 lol!

your not going to reply to this are you hehehe!

• Staff

4000 wont last long. If I typ enuf mistakes im shure he wont be able to ressist repliing to tell me...

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

4000 wont last long. If I typ enuf mistakes im shure he wont be able to ressist repliing to tell me...

Yep I have been one of his victims recently, stood myself in the corner for a full 5 minutes.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I bet its killing him lol still its not like its worth owt ;-)

Some years ago this text circulated on the Internet:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Some years ago this text circulated on the Internet:

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Ncie to raed taht pceie aagin. :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

Ncie to raed taht pceie aagin. :D

lol, fascinates me every time I see it.

Can we have a minutes silence for the 4000 please. 

• Staff

The 4000 is not a post count, it's reputation. We can change it in his absence by liking anything Alfred has posted.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Chris26 said:

Sorry. Easiest way: Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press R. Copy/paste that directory name into the Run box.

-- Walt
PC:

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry. Easiest way: Press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press R. Copy/paste that directory name into the Run box.

Now you tell me....thanks walt......9_9  but thankyou, that's useful to know, I use that often but did not know I could type in such a string.

1 minute ago, Chris26 said:

Now you tell me....thanks walt......9_9  but thankyou, that's useful to know, I use that often but did not know I could type in such a string.

I'm sure I knew it, too, but didn't really appreciate its usefulness until one of the Serif staff mentioned it here awhile ago. :)

-- Walt
PC: