You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Text Frame padding

Hi All,

New to Affinity range.

Struggling with Publisher (as well as Designer) a bit, as new GUI, workflow, and in my opinion not as intuitive to use. Ok, legacy range is in version 8 and Affinity is version 1.

Anyways, I am on a Publisher document - spent 2 hours (would have taken 5-10 minutes in PagePlus), and I cannot figure out why when I add a Text frame there is padding at the top. I thought it was because something weird caused by linked frame. I create a new frame. Still several lines, meaning if I place text frame on page (top to bottom of page), the text starts half way down on the page. I spent time looking through settings for frame, but cannot find out why this behaviour happens. Any ideas? All new text frames I create now are like this. Text starts half way down in the frame. Means unusable. Is there a way to reset? Is there a "format painter" to take style etc. applied to Frame1 to Frame2?

What is the way to create a text frame with bullets and numbers - have some line spacing e.g. 1.5 between bullets or numbers, but then normal space on following text after list?

Thanks in advance

There are a variety of settings that could cause that, @mnh.

Can you prepare a simple sample document that shows the issue, and attach the .afpub file here?

For resetting, there are more complete ones, but one of these might work:

1. Edit > Defaults > Revert or
  2. Edit > Defaults > Factory Reset

Does it happen in new documents, too?

18 hours ago, mnh said:

Is there a "format painter" to take style etc. applied to Frame1 to Frame2?

Not really, but you can create a Style (note: not a Text Style, just a Style) from a Text Frame and drag that onto other Text Frames to style them. This will override all settings, though, including Font, Font Size, etc. so it's best done to an empty Text Frame, I think.

18 hours ago, mnh said:

What is the way to create a text frame with bullets and numbers - have some line spacing e.g. 1.5 between bullets or numbers, but then normal space on following text after list?

Using paragraph styles, such as Body, Bullet 1, and Numbered 1, possibly with adjustments for spacing via the Character or Paragraph panels or possibly by defining your own styles based on those styles with the spacing you want specified for them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walter,

your first option (File Menu | Edit | Defaults | Revert) did the trick - I had the text frame selected. Before that I did try on a new document and there the behaviour was normal.