You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import designer files as pages in publisher

Try OS macro, like https://www.autohotkey.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, TineB said:

A Graphic Novel. I want to use the Designer files as pages.

If you had a single Designer file with 1 Artboard per page it would be easiest. You could simply Open the file, and let Publisher convert the Artboards to pages.

With multiple files, I think you can only copy/paste them one at a time onto Publisher pages if you want to get the content directly into Publisher, or Place them one at a time. But there is a way to make the Placing simpler.

1. For 160 Designer files, create a Publisher document with 160 pages and a Master Page.
  2. On the Master Page, create a Picture Frame with the size and placement that you want. That Picture Frame will then be on all your document pages.
  3. Select the Place Image Tool. On the file selection dialog, select (for example) the first 10 Designer files. They will appear in the Place Image studio panel, wth the first image selected.
  4. Click the tool in the Picture Frame on page 1. The first image will be applied to that Picture Frame, and the second image will be selected in the Place Image panel.
  5. Move to page 2 (click the page navigator in the lower left of the window).
  6. Click the tool in the Picture Frame on page 2.
  7. Repeat until you've used all those images. Then go back to step 3, and choose the next set of images. I would do them in small groups, 5-10.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Johnny Chin said:

What if you don’t have artboard and just 1 Designer file but with groups as pages in it?

That's not a kind of structure that Publisher can convert to pages automatically. If you Open that file in not sure isn't what options Publisher will give you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That's not a kind of structure that Publisher can convert to pages automatically. If you Open that file in not sure isn't what options Publisher will give you.

I see, is there a way to add artboard to AD files that doesn’t have art board initially? And can I make artboard for left and right pages with left and right bleed&margin respectively?

23 minutes ago, Johnny Chin said:

I see, is there a way to add artboard to AD files that doesn’t have art board initially? And can I make artboard for left and right pages with left and right bleed&margin respectively?

You can make a section in Designer, then use the Artboard Tool to turn it into an Artboard.

No, you can't work with left and right pages, out left and right in general, as those aren't a Designer concept.

But once you have the document with Artboards, and Open it in Publisher, and let Publisher convert them to Pages, you could use Spread Setup to make them a consistent size, and Document Setup to convert to Facing Pages and specify the bleed.

-- Walt
PC: