You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distort equations presets like the produral texture ones

I think it would be nice to be able to store distort equations in a similar way to the procedural texture equations preset panel. At the moment it seems the only way to store distort equations is to either jot them down in another app somehwere, or store them in a macro. When you store them in a macro you lose the equation, so you can't go back to it, which is kind of annoying. I've currently got my equations building up a text document, but working like that doesn't fit the nice workflow that the other features have. Also, with the procedural textures panel if you accidentally apply before storing the preset you lose the equation, would it be possible to have a persistent edit buffer that populates the dialogue with the last equation you used, rather than it opening with a blank panel each time? It's really easy to spent time messing about to get an interesting pattern and then pressing apply to see the pattern properly (with the anti-aliasing in place), before saving it as a preset ... then it's gone, you've lost all that effort!

• 9 months later...

I agree, it would be a wonderful addition to the equations filter. It definitely does need presets. It would be great if more custom inputs were available in the same way as procedural texture.   Also, it would be useful on restarting the equations / procedural that the last used equations are still there as you may create an amazing set of equations to find that they are gone next time you fire up the filters menu equations etc (unless you jot it down or store it to a notepad on your computer)

Procedural texture ... perhaps have an extend mode as well such as mirror if that is possible ?

Created 100s of equations effects, sadly, at the moment I just have to keep a note of them and bring them back in each time via the pasteboard

I would support this. After losing many equations, I now try to create a sidecar text file of the pair of equation. Unfortunately, I do not always remember! (Neither do I always remember to update the textfile when I update the macro.)

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 10 months later...

I agree with the OP that the option to store distort equations is essential to make this excellent option workable. Either as presets or, maybe better, as user functions.

I have other issues with equations though. The OP suggests to store equations as macros. This does not allow access to the equation parameters and, worse, it does not produce the expected results on all images. I noticed images of different size are transformed differently. 

So for now my only option is to cut and paste the equations for each application. Please Serif, help us out here; this thread has been going for months and I have not seen a reply from the company!

(my experience is with Affinity Photo 1.9.0)

Joost

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 3 months later...

If you've saved them as a macro you are able access the a, b and c sliders. Right-click on the macro, select edit and you'll have control of the sliders.It's not the same as full control, but it does mean that you can assign a number to a slider by using * or / and putting that inside brackets.

eg. y+(500*a)*sin((25*b)*pi*x/w)*c

This will create a sine wave distortion where you can control the amplitude, frequency and overal amount of the waves.

The A slider controls the amplitude 500 down to zero.

The B slider controls the frequency of the waves from 25 down to zero

The C slider controls the overall amount of the effect (probably unneccessary here, but it an example.

Saved as a macro you'll have a "fully" controllable wave filter limited opnly by the intergers you assign.

image.png