You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Styles > Numbering: Reproducible Crash

I didn’t use any special document. It was just a test file, like the attached one. You will have to make sure to exactly follow my operations, otherwise Publisher won’t crash.

• Select the string in the text frame
  • Click New Paragraph Style
  • Select Bullets and Numbering > 1, 2, 3, 4, …
  • Click into the input field right before the first variable
  • Click and drag the caret cursor to highlight the first variable only
  • Use Backspace to delete it
  • Click the Variable Selector Icon
  • Should immediately crash. Sometimes even before

Test.afpub

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Perhaps related to this I've just experienced some very strange behavior when trying to edit the format of numbered list items on macOS in version 1.7.3. While I haven't seen a crash like the report above, it definitely seems like editing this often causes some sort of internal exception state, causing the Text style dialogue to go unresponsive, no letting you make any further changes, Save or Cancel the changes using the buttons in the dialogue. Weirdly, if you just click outside the style panel in the document background behind it closes the panel no problem and you can go on working, even opening up the style again and try to make the same changes to the numbering again.

The field/input controls are also quite unusual with a drop down arrow at the start with a menu that isn't options but actually inserts custom symbols at the cursor location, and a mysterious "..." button that always seems to be disabled? This could probably be made easier to use and understand.

I'm not sure if this is also a bug, or if it's also just hard to understand (for me at least). But if you're going to look at this area, you might also want to take a look at the Tabstop setting. In some cases changing this had no effect for me even though there was a tab in the format, and instead I had to change the tab position in the "Tab stops" panel. In other cases changing them in "Tab stops" did nothing and I had to change it here. Very confusing.

1543454065_Screenshot2019-10-25at14_39_46.jpg.86486dab1ae3ae51f276f7f2fb57573a.jpg