You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-destructive develop

Hi there, I love Affinity Photo and there's only two things missing for me to give up Lightroom (I've already given up Photoshop). First of all, I need a Develop persona that is non-destructive. In other words, I need to be able to tweak exposure/white balance / etc etc after I click "develop." The next thing is previewing RAW files. I don't need a complete photo catalog feature, but something that goes through my camera's RAW files and generates a quick little thumbnail so I can browse the card easier would make a big difference for me. Using Finder to browse through RAW photos is unfortunately pretty slow.

Thanks again!

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

There are Darktable and RawTherapee.   Two open source  free raw processing software .  Perfectly non destructive.

So why invent bicycle one more time.    Lightroom does work a bit quicker and it's less complex,  more easy probably  still both of those programs could do a few things Lightroom couldn't.  

Like exporting 32-bit floating point  un-clipped    exr image  from RAW  file   which you could edit/tonemap  in APhoto directly and non destructively  with all same un-clipped exposure range  RAW may have. No develop persona necessary.

I would benefit from a DAM but non-destructive is such low hanging fruit and so necessary. I don't even care if additional layers aren't linked to it at all. I just need to be able to tweak the RAW develop after I've clicked "yes". It's so necessary it's the only thing keeping me on things like Lightroom / Capture One etc. I know there are people who need everything those developers offer but I personally do not. And now that Affinity Photo has gradient masks for the develop persona, it's really just this one step away from being what I need.

Totally appreciate your point, @lukepighetti

I was worried that if everyone gave a +1 to your vote, Affinity might think everyone is also opposed to a separate DAM product, squashing something which has been in the planning pipe for some time. I just wanted to separate the ideas, that non-destructive RAW editing fully incorporated into the AP editing process is not excluding a separate DAM product. I want both, and yes, to prioritize resources, building it into AP would be more urgent.

Thanks for the clarification.