You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing book length text to APub

I design books. I know that APub 1.7.1 has the facility to import text: we lobbied for a long time to get it included. With Page Plus, I could import a Word text of any length and Autofill would create new pages with text boxes for the entire text. I cannot work out how to get this from APub. The Help page says that I should use the Place command. I've tried every which way, including  first saving docx as rtf, but all all I get is the first page of the imported text. 

Am I wrong to expect that I can use APub to create books? I'm still using PPx9, but would dearly like to/will soon have to move on to APub. I'm prepared to wrestle with the software but maybe it is only intended for small projects such as short brochures?

All my books start with the authors' manuscript in Word. Editing follows, again in Word. Once I have a final text (and images to be later inserted either throughout the text or in separate plate sections) I need to import it to APub for layout, formatting etc. and exporting as PDF.  How can I get APub to do this?

In Publisher it is a two-step process. The first step is to get it into a single frame, as you have done. Second step is to shift-click on the triangle bottom-right of the text frame. That autoflows, which will create as many pages and frames as it needs, similar to PagePlus. (But better, because it uses master pages as the template for the new frames, which (from memory) I don't think PagePlus did.)

You can also control-click to make one new page/frame at a time. Or just click, to control text flow in more detail.

It works the same way regardless of what format the text was in.

Many thanks Dave. Those steps must be described somewhere in Help, but I did not find it. I'll try again. As a long-standing user of PP,  maybe I'm not looking hard enough in the new APub places for answers. Thanks for your patience.

6 hours ago, Tom Blyth said:

Many thanks Dave. Those steps must be described somewhere in Help, but I did not find it. I'll try again. As a long-standing user of PP,  maybe I'm not looking hard enough in the new APub places for answers. Thanks for your patience.

Probably the best place to start is not with the Help but with the video Tutorials, which are linked from the Help pulldown (at least on Windows) or can be found here: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, Tom Blyth said:

If you will look at Publisher HELP>Affinity Publisher Help and click on the hamburger menu at the top left, it will open the contents.  Then look for Text>Flowing text through frames.   It explains in detail what Dave Harris posted above.  That should augment the tutorials and get you up and running with your books!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9