You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page Break --- Need one, where is it?

I'm in the process of compiling notes for a talk, and really needed to add a hard page break in Publisher (you know, <CTRL>+<ENTER>). Been trying to accomplish this, but it isn't working and there are no references to it in the help files.

Then I notice that while doing a search, there is a "Line Break" where you press <SHIFT>+<ENTER> ... that appears to do exactly what just pressing <ENTER> does. It's a hard line return.

How do I create a page break in Publisher? One of those "text in this frame ends, cursor moves to next text frame, author writes" type of page breaks that I haven't found yet.

Sorry if it doesn't make much sense, but I find it hilarious that I can't insert a page break, but I have two different ways to insert a hard return.

Text > Insert > Breaks > Page Break

There's no keyboard shortcut by default, but you can set one if you want using Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Text > Insert > Breaks > Page Break.

A line break is a different thing to a paragraph break. For example, you won't get Space after a line break.

Our other apps use <CTRL> + <ENTER> for Convert to Curves. That caused huge problems for Publisher. We like having consistency between the apps - that's part of the point of the suite - but that was intolerable. People kept pressing it to end their text-editing session, even though Publisher doesn't really have text editing sessions and you don't have to end them. So currently that short-cut does nothing in Publisher. We'll consider making it do a page break, but I suspect that will again confuse people who think they need to end their editing session. Regardless, you can add it yourself, through Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts.

Edit: ninja'd by Walt. Spent too long typing :68_sleeping:

On 6/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, Smee Again said:

Then I notice that while doing a search, there is a "Line Break" where you press <SHIFT>+<ENTER> ... that appears to do exactly what just pressing <ENTER> does. It's a hard line return.

No, it is not. ENTER does paragraph, which is different from hard line return (SHIFT-ENTER). (Now, I suppose ENTER is here same as RETURN. I do not have extended keyboard so I do not really have ENTER key but RETURN instead).

Edited by Fixx
Corrected stupid error.

4 hours ago, Fixx said:

No, it is not. SHIFT-ENTER does paragraph, which is different from hard line return. (Now, I suppose ENTER is here same as RETURN. I do not have extended keyboard so I do not really have ENTER key but RETURN instead).

Sorry, Fixx, but Enter gives you a new paragraph. Shift+Enter is a line-break. It terminates the current line, moves you to the next, but keeps you within the same paragraph.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...

It is disappointing to realize there is no way to conveniently add a hard break in a text box to jump to the next box.  The type of work I do requires multiple "page breaks" in each chapter.  I cannot create a shortcut key in the Preference box to accomplish this.  I guess this is why ID cost so much and Affinity Publisher is affordable.  The missing perks are costing me hours of work.  I may have to go back to ID.

Wait, are we all overlooking the Text Flow options in the Paragraph properties panel?  You can certainly set a "start in next X", where X is frame or colume or page or ...

It's not exactly the same as inserting a special mark in the text flow, but you can certainly force text to jump to the top of the next page.

3 hours ago, Disappointed said:

It is disappointing to realize there is no way to conveniently add a hard break in a text box to jump to the next box. 

If the boxes are linked, just insert a Frame Break:

Text > Insert > Breaks > Frame Break will do it. There is no keyboard shortcut by default, but you can create one:
image.png.bb9ee4c10b86fc17ada4b739bf25bd48.png

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 2:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

Text > Insert > Breaks > Page Break

There's no keyboard shortcut by default, but you can set one if you want using Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts.

When I go to Keyboard Shortcuts I don't see anywhere to add one (but I just started using the software today). Help? 

6 hours ago, SheilaL said:

When I go to Keyboard Shortcuts I don't see anywhere to add one (but I just started using the software today). Help? 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

What release of Affinity Publisher, and what OS, are you using? It should be in Keyboard Shortcuts right where I showed it in my post above: Publisher Persona, Text menu, then the list is alphabetical from there.

-- Walt
PC:

6 hours ago, SheilaL said:

I don't see anywhere to add one

Click into the box (highlighted blue below) and type the shortcut that you want to use:

259911276_Screenshot2020-10-20at12_11_56.png.31aae4a0d267f8cf958ab281d193486c.png

You'll get a yellow triangle as a warning if your chosen shortcut is already in use.

(This function is only available in Affinity Publisher, as it's the only Affinity app that allows text to flow from one frame to another.)

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

On 10/20/2020 at 4:08 AM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

What release of Affinity Publisher, and what OS, are you using? It should be in Keyboard Shortcuts right where I showed it in my post above: Publisher Persona, Text menu, then the list is alphabetical from there.

Got it, thanks (1.8.5.703 with the dreaded Win10)