You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inkscape .svg file opening - Colours wrong or missing

I have a largish (178MB) but not particularly complex .svg file created from scratch in Inkscape. When I open it in the current version of Designer 1.7.1.404 - the colours don't come across well and need editing. A lot seem to be not showing a colour at all. Otherwise all the layers and paths seem good.

It opens cleanly (albeit quite a bit slower in Chrome). Tried with Illustrator CS2 which tried to open it for half an hour then gave up saying the file was invalid.
Windows 10 Professional with 1903 update applied. Intel Core i5 3470, 16GB RAM, SSD hard drives.

File is too big to post here, so here's a link to it on Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8YVa1u3sMvuVEE2TlNKbFEtT2c

This is a .pdf of what it should look like:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8YVa1u3sMvuNnFNbnpzU19wdDg

Very impressed with the speed of Designer - switching from old version of Indesign coupled with GIMP and Inkscape. Now have purchased all three Affinity programs having used Publisher beta a bit.
This import issue is an irritation - thought I'd raise it here as it may help others. Understand the situation with .idml and .xcf import and can live with those - however .idml import will be very useful when it comes.

• Staff

Hi OldClicker,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums
From what I can see the SVG uses several elements that are not currently supported in Affinity, so this is why some colours are open wrong or missing (notably the fairways and driving range distances). Unfortunately I'm unable to compare every element of this SVG for correctness, but the two main issues I spotted (that are already with development to be implemented) are as follow:

• Inkscape's swatches feature uses 'fill:url to link to different fills and these do not open correctly
  • SVG Pattern fills are not supported.

I will update the known issues with development linking to this post.

Thanks for letting us know!

Hi Sean

Thanks for looking at this and feeding it into development.

Is there a list available showing Inkscape svg features currently not supported by Designer?
I must admit, I'm surprised Inkscape import isn't better. A closed-source program like Illustrator I'd understand, but for a popular open-source program like Inkscape I can't see much excuse.

• Staff
9 hours ago, OldClicker said:

Hi Sean

Thanks for looking at this and feeding it into development.

Is there a list available showing Inkscape svg features currently not supported by Designer?
I must admit, I'm surprised Inkscape import isn't better. A closed-source program like Illustrator I'd understand, but for a popular open-source program like Inkscape I can't see much excuse.

Unfortunately there isn't I'm afraid! :( 

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Some SVG files do not open correctly) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon