You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo hanging and crashing

I was working on processing photos last night. Worked for about three hours, and in that time AP "hung" several times, and crashed three times. This has happened since the latest update (which I got from the App Store).

v. 1.7.1 on Mac OS Mavericks (No, I won't upgrade to the newest version of Mac, yet. I have legacy software that won't work with any OS newer than Mavericks. :( )

I just started working on processing photos, and it hung once so far, within a half hour's time. :( HELP! I need to get these photos processed!

Hi @TanBrae Have you shut down any non essential apps , including apps that run in the background?

Do you have any crash reports in the Console app, might see some crash reports under User reports.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the quick reply!

I had gotten on here to update my post, and saw your response. However, my browser decided to get stuck, also.

Not sure what is going on, but...

Things are slow on my computer. Firefox is slow, and/or hanging. A game I was playing was jumpy/slow/hanging, and AP is getting stuck on Haze Removal. The Haze Removal seems to be the trigger today. I've forced closed AP several times now, and all after I clicked on Haze Removal.

I have no crash reports, but did send two to Apple.

Next time I get one, I'll keep it and post it here.

All that said, I have run MalwareBytes, and it did find two instances of threats, which I removed, then scanned again. I then dumped my trash, and did a restart. Nothing has changed in the way of AP, but Firefox is running normally again.

And, of course, I spoke too soon. Just got done editing one photo, things went well. Opened another, got it developed, and changed size. Clicked on Haze Removal, things seemed to be going well, but when I clicked on Split View, it is now hanging. WHY?

I hope I get an answer and resolution soon. I need to get these done!

Haze Removal.

(From 6/30/19 post):  I was working on processing photos last night. Worked for about three hours, and in that time AP "hung" several times, and crashed three times. This has happened since the latest update (which I got from the App Store).
v. 1.7.1 on Mac OS Mavericks (No, I won't upgrade to the newest version of Mac, yet. I have legacy software that won't work with any OS newer than Mavericks.  )
I just started working on processing photos, and it hung once so far, within a half hour's time.  HELP! I need to get these photos processed!

Today while I was using AP, the first photo I edited AP worked as usual, with Haze Removal working fine. The next photo, when I clicked on Split View in Haze Removal, AP just hung. I did a force quit, then tried again, without using Split View. It hung, then crashed on a force quit. Attached is the report.

crash_report.pdf

• Staff

Hey TanBrae,

First of all, I'm very sorry you've been having these difficulties. 

Secondly, have you considered installed the beta? It has had a number of stability improvements as well as fixes. We currently recommend that you install this and use it over the store version. It will install alongside the store version so you can keep both if you just wanted to check it out.

• Staff

Hi TanBrae :)

Apologies for the delayed response, I have passed your log through to our QA/Dev team for investigation, as this isn't a crash we're aware of globally.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:29 PM, TanBrae said:

Things are slow on my computer. Firefox is slow, and/or hanging. A game I was playing was jumpy/slow/hanging, and AP is getting stuck on Haze Removal

Have you tried cleaning up your Mac - such as running a First Aid check through Disk Utility - and performing a Diagnostics startup? (https://support.apple.com/HT202731)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi TanBrae :)

Apologies for the delayed response, I have passed your log through to our QA/Dev team for investigation, as this isn't a crash we're aware of globally.

Have you tried cleaning up your Mac - such as running a First Aid check through Disk Utility - and performing a Diagnostics startup? (https://support.apple.com/HT202731)

No worries! I did post in the correct section, also, finally! LOL New here, so I wasn't aware that I should post in the Bugs section.

Yes, I ran Malwarebytes (see the fifth post above this one), and found two instances of threats. Did the clean up, etc. Still getting the AP issues, and things are slow only when I have AP open. Otherwise, computer is running as normal.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey TanBrae,

First of all, I'm very sorry you've been having these difficulties. 

Secondly, have you considered installed the beta? It has had a number of stability improvements as well as fixes. We currently recommend that you install this and use it over the store version. It will install alongside the store version so you can keep both if you just wanted to check it out.

No, I didn't know there was a Beta. I'll have to give it a try, I guess. I wasn't having any issues with the version I have until the update, and didn't realize there is a new Beta version.

• Staff

Apologies for the delayed response.

Could you please confirm, do you have the Info Studio open in Photo? Do you have any placed points on your document through this?

If so, please remove these points and close the Info Studio from your workspace. Do you still experiencing crashing here? If so please provided an updated copy of your crash report so I can keep investigating :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Got Beta installed and opened. First photo I'm trying to edit, again, it hangs on Haze Removal when clicking on Split View.

ODD! And, I'm assuming it's AP that is making my whole system hang. Opening Firefox so I could post here was an issue. Something isn't compatible.

On 7/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, Dan C said:

Apologies for the delayed response.

Could you please confirm, do you have the Info Studio open in Photo? Do you have any placed points on your document through this?

If so, please remove these points and close the Info Studio from your workspace. Do you still experiencing crashing here? If so please provided an updated copy of your crash report so I can keep investigating :)

What is the Info Studio, please? And, what are placed points?

All I've had open in AP are the photos, and then the Haze Removal tool.

This is also happening to me in the newly downloaded Beta version. For some reason, opening the Haze Removal tool slows my computer down. So far, the slow downs have not happened using any other tools.

I got discouraged, went past my deadline for editing these photos, and haven't used AP since. I'll try again, though, and see if I can get repeats in either version, then post any crash reports I get.

I'll also add that I have posted this issue in the bugs section so you may want to check my post there.

Thanks for the reply! I know you all are busy!

• Staff
On 7/5/2019 at 4:09 PM, TanBrae said:

And, I'm assuming it's AP that is making my whole system hang

Did you check the Activity Monitor?

I haven't been able to reproduce the Split View hang and believe me I've been trying! I get a delay of about 10 seconds or so whilst it says 'Analysing Scene'.

• Staff
16 hours ago, TanBrae said:

What is the Info Studio, please? And, what are placed points?

It certainly sounds as though you don't have these active, through View>Studio>Info you can turn on this panel which allows you to view certain information, either where your cursor is in the document or where you have placed a point.

Could you please check if the Info option is ticked in the beta? If it is, please disable this and let me know if it helps.

16 hours ago, TanBrae said:

So, I just opened AP, opened a photo, got it developed, then clicked on Haze Removal, and BINGO! Crash! With a report!

Thanks for the most recent report and I'm sorry to see the same is happening for you in the beta. Could you please confirm the camera your RAW images originate from?

Could you also please open Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of these settings?

19 hours ago, Chris B said:

I haven't been able to reproduce the Split View hang and believe me I've been trying! I get a delay of about 10 seconds or so whilst it says 'Analysing Scene'.

No, I haven't done that, yet. Guess I should give it a try.

13 hours ago, Dan C said:

It certainly sounds as though you don't have these active, through View>Studio>Info you can turn on this panel which allows you to view certain information, either where your cursor is in the document or where you have placed a point.

Could you please check if the Info option is ticked in the beta? If it is, please disable this and let me know if it helps.

Thanks for the most recent report and I'm sorry to see the same is happening for you in the beta. Could you please confirm the camera your RAW images originate from?

Could you also please open Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of these settings?

Thanks! I unchecked Info. I've attached a screenshot of the items in Studio. I haven't changed anything in my preferences for the Beta version, if that helps.

I'm also attaching the screenshot of the Performance, as per your request.

My camera RAW images are from my Canon 80D. I've made no updates for the camera, and none for AP, other than the most recent update. Why it is happening in the Beta version, also, is beyond me. Of course! ;) Any way, I get my images directly from the camera card, move them to a folder, and open them from the folder, directly to AP.

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 9.37.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 9.38.33 PM.png

I was about to post that turning off Info worked. I was able to complete a full retouching with no hanging. Last night. But,,, today, hanging once again. :(

I checked the activity monitor. Nothing extraneous running, but I did do screen captures of AP's activity when it was hanging on the Haze Removal.
1420123157_ScreenShot2019-07-09at11_05_58AM.png.b1ce379fb1a1c83e0d06ee7e9b61de5e.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.06.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.06.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.06.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.06.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 11.06.57 AM.png

On 7/8/2019 at 2:21 AM, Chris B said:

I don't get it! LOL I've had one good edit, then the next photo I tried, it hung when I clicked on Haze Removal. I didn't even have to click on Split View. Not getting any crash reports, but having to do a lot of force quits. And, it's slowing everything else down big time. :(

As I posted in the bug forum, AP has been hanging all day. Now I don't even have to click on Split View, but it's hanging when I click on Haze Removal. I'd ask if it would work to do a completely new install, but that doesn't really make sense as AP is hanging in both the 1.7.1 and Beta. And, as I said, I wasn't having an issue before the most recent update.

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey TanBrae,

I've been trying to reproduce this on different operating systems for the most part of the morning but it just will not crash. 

I'm just going to submit the crash reports to dev and see what they can do.

Thank you! I do appreciate it!