You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

not responding

1.7.1 AFPUB, Mac OS X 10.13.6.

Long delays in actions/clicks. Activity Monitor also reports "not responding" for long stretches of time (minutes). Was just opening a previously created (large) file with many photos. Waited for file to load (about 2.5 minutes total). I clicked one picture frame with photo on the first page of a spread and waited 2.5 minutes for the frame to actually be selected. Finally got a response - then went to replace photo, and waited over a minute for the response to select the new photo in the Finder. Then photo went into frame enlarged so had to drag the size smaller and fit the frame to the photo. All is good, except slow. Then I clicked the next photo frame on that same page. Waited about 2 minutes for that frame to be selected. Then tried to create a picture frame on the next page of the spread - tried to size it, then a separate blue box was formed over top of the picture frame - somehow - by accident? Could not click that frame and could not click the new blue box. tried to select the created picture frame and could not select it. Could not delete either the picture frame or extra blue box. No photo added at this point. So I checked the Activity Monitor and again, "not responding". Eventually I hit Ctrl-W to close without saving (at least I could try to reload the large file again).

Have seen this lag and v-e-r-y slow response also a week earlier after the final release.

And - is there another forum for the final release to report more bugs or is the correct place?

Thanks for help - not a good situation at present.

Open it

Save as a copy with no saved history and try again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, thetasig said:

How do I first delete the saved history - or save the copy with no saved history?

File > Save As... Whatever Copy.afpub

Make sure the item File > Save History With Document is not ticked. Close the copy, reopen the copy, Does that make a difference?

You say the file is large, how much memory do you have and how much free space do you have on your System Hard Drive? 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Thanks, Bruce. OK - figured it out. It was not the history that caused the delays (since I have never saved history). However, it is the Resource Manager that goes quietly into action just after the file is fully loaded. Takes another 2 minutes or so and then the Resource Manager pops up with details. It has 746 unique entries (jpg) with some repeated as background/graphics, etc. The document file itself is 3.46GB and the photos are embedded. 235 pages at 2 pages per spread. Activity Monitor shows AFPUB using 25.48GB. Computer memory is 48GB and  system SSD is 1TB  with 555GB used. I think it is not wise to attempt to "do" anything until the Resource Manager has completed its tasks upon loading. No glitches so far during additional editing.

3 hours ago, thetasig said:

I think it is not wise to attempt to "do" anything until the Resource Manager has completed its tasks upon loading.

I will try to remember this.

Opening this topic again since the not responding situation is quite real and repeatable. It is the Resource Manager that silently prevents the user from full access to the document until the Resource Manager has gone through all of the resources. I would suggest, then, that a "loading" window/message be placed up on the screen to inform the user of the delay while Resource Manager is "doing its thing." See screen shots of AFPUB not responding properly during those few minutes.

Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 3.13.32 PM.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. The answer is 'no' - the behaviour is the same in the final version(s) - using 1.7.2 currently. It takes about 8-10 minutes after opening it before I have full (active) use of the document. Example, I can double-click a spread near the end of the page list and it takes about 4 minutes to display that spread; click a picture frame to replace the photo - takes 3 minutes to highlight the frame, then another 2 minutes after clicking 'replace photo' to display the list of photos. Times vary. After the "waiting period" everything works quickly and normally.