You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with text-flow in Affinity Publisher

Putting blind text into the sides layout ends with a missing line in the first place.- There is nothing there, no blank(s), no return, nothing (screenshot 1).

Inserting an image at the first place of the text "box" loks fine - at the first sight (screenshot 2).

Sliding the image right to the next column does not look so fine (screenshot 3).

Moving the image in the right column down looks as known (missing first line) (screenshot 4).

Removing the image leaves me at the state I begun (first line missing) (screenshot 5).

afpub-001.jpg

afpub-002.jpg

afpub-003.jpg

afpub-004.jpg

afpub-005.jpg

In the meanwhile i had same behaviour in other cases too. I happens that under certain circumstances the first libne is missing. BUT i cannot get out a system that i could work around.

Okay, AfPub is very fresh. And, okay, it is not very expensive. Faults can happen. But would be fine to get an answer.

1 hour ago, ernst.w said:

In the meanwhile i had same behaviour in other cases too. I happens that under certain circumstances the first libne is missing. BUT i cannot get out a system that i could work around.

Okay, AfPub is very fresh. And, okay, it is not very expensive. Faults can happen. But would be fine to get an answer.

Did you by any chance import the text from another software programme?  Also have you clicked on TEXT - SHOW SPECIAL CHARACTERS in the menu bar to see if there is anything there?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

29 minutes ago, ernst.w said:

Have you looked at the Text Frame panel, Vertical Alignment, to see if the first icon on the left is highlighted?  That is "Top Align."   Also under the section "Baseline Grid" is the box "use baseline grid" unchecked?   That might help.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

32 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Did you by any chance import the text from another software programme? 

No, as you can see, it is real blind text.

33 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

Also have you clicked on TEXT - SHOW SPECIAL CHARACTERS in the menu bar to see if there is anything there?

No, not yet. But BACKSPACE didn‘t change anything. Will have a closer look tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, ernst.w said:

it is real blind text.

I am not familiar with the term "blind text". Can you explain what you mean, Ernst?

Thanks.

Also, can you attach the .afpub file that demonstrates the problem, so we can look for odd settings rather than having to guess and ask questions. That would be helpful.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I believe Filler text is being used. It does NOT behave like other text and should be deleted by clicking the checked menu Text - Insert flller text.

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

26 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I am not familiar with the term "blind text". Can you explain what you mean, Ernst?

Fill text, random text, dummy text. In my case it’s coming from AfPub directly. Does this help?

i cannot tell the correct english menu item, working with German version. 

Thanks. Filler Text is the English Publisher term.

When you're having the problems, is it still in Filler Text form, or have you expanded it into real text?
(Right-click on it, choose Expand Field. Or click in it, choose Text > Expand > Expand Field.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Very strange. I cannot reproduce it. It cannot be a frame setting as this would affect both columns. Does the same thing happen if you use real text instead of Filler text?

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

2 hours ago, ernst.w said:

Herz is night now, will test and answer tomorrow. Thanks to all for today.

Please see Below Ernst

Ernst I notice that you did not respond to jmwelborn's questions.  Just in case you were too tired and might have missed it, here was his comment

4 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Have you looked at the Text Frame panel, Vertical Alignment, to see if the first icon on the left is highlighted?  That is "Top Align."   Also under the section "Baseline Grid" is the box "use baseline grid" unchecked?   That might help.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

The filler text had me confused at first as it could not be formatted or changed, but there is a very useful option in Edit - Preferences - General - Insert filler text as text. Then filler text can be formatted, reduced or treated like any other ordinary text.

11 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Ernst I notice that you did not respond to jmwelborn's questions. 

Chris, please see below...

First a add a text document as suggested by walt.farrell. The two sample images are embedded so you can handle (move, resize etc.) them.

15 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Have you looked at the Text Frame panel, Vertical Alignment, to see if the first icon on the left is highlighted?  That is "Top Align."   Also under the section "Baseline Grid" is the box "use baseline grid" unchecked?

I couldn't answer you questions yesterday because I did not know by heart, sorry. But now i am on the PC:

Astonishing: I actually cannot change vertical alignment of the text. But I remenber I have set vertical alignment to "Bottom". You can see this on the screenshots if you have a look at the baseline grid too.

I cannot check baseline grid too at the moment. Baseline grid was (manually) set to use baseline grid when i begun the text document.

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

is it still in Filler Text form, or have you expanded it into real text?
(Right-click on it, choose Expand Field. Or click in it, choose Text > Expand > Expand Field.)

Do you mean "In Textrahmen umwandeln" as screenshot 6 shows? Semms to be expanded because its greyed out.

-----------------------

I am an advanced InDesign user but this seems not to be good enough. I support any serious alternative of Adobe product, so I did purchase Affinity Photo and now Affinity Publisher. And I will try hard to change from InDesign to AfPub. But as I am working most of the year on my books with InDesign to get printable PDF to the printer it must work in every cased. I can change my workflow a bit but I cannot work double time. Therefore I ask after trying all things that - in my mind - could have taken effect.

And I am working with a German version - this is a problem for explainations too. Thank you for your support till now!

On_the_Hot_Pott.afpub

afpub-006.jpg