You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Possible Publisher issue with guides vs facing pages

When I had my Publisher document in facing pages, I could see on every page the guides I placed on the Master page. When I de-selected facing pages, these same guides can not be seen though they are still right where I placed them on the Master Page.

I hope this is useful. 

• Staff

Hi VectorCat,

On 6/30/2019 at 4:19 PM, VectorCat said:

I could see on every page the guides I placed on the Master page. When I de-selected facing pages, these same guides can not be seen though they are still right where I placed them on the Master Page.

I can't seem to replicate this.  Can you give me the exact steps you are following?

Yes. Set up a document with facing pages. Apply a guide on the master page - in my case I have one master page.

see the guide with guides set to display. In Document setup, un-check ”facing pages.”

in my document I can’t see the guide I set on any of the child pages. Re-select facing pages and the guides reappear. 

16 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

In Document setup, un-check ”facing pages.”

This doesn't sound healthy to do it in Document Setup. To me it splits a facing 2-page master, terminates its margins to 0, but keeps margins on some document pages, on others the margins are gone, too.

Instead you may set facing or single with for masters only with right-click on a master "Spread Properties..." or via tool bar > "Spread Setup..." and optionally adjust the margins. But even there, toggling for a specific master between facing to single might result in unexpected behavior.

25063796_masterspreadproperties.jpg.956bad3ce0e0128ff558aa0a6223fb89.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1