You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: end of pasted text somewhere below?

Hello,

I couldn't force justifying text to the top of the page... So I tried to apply my "Justifie TOP" master to the last page of the chapter. But that part of text becomes invisible.
How do I have to manage this to get the right result?

Still would have lots of chapters to arrange that way...

Thanks for any hint.

Capture d'écran 2019-06-30 16.20.47.png

15 minutes ago, Castle Al said:

I couldn't force justifying text to the top of the page...

Sorry, but I don't think I understand what you're trying to accomplish there. Can you provide an example or more of an explanation?

Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you for your prompt reaction.
A. Copy-past of the text into Master pages "Numbered", which text zones having already a vertical alignment to "Justify".
B. The last page of the text should be vertical alignment "Top". But when trying to click on "Top", the alignment doesn't change (seems Master Page is ruling over).
C. Therefore, I applied the Master Page "JustifyTop" I created for that purpose to force having the top alignment on this page.
D. Text disappears, since the Master Page swapping naturally does so.
E. I click and pull (from the triangle to the new formated page).
F. The text becomes invisible and I can't find out how to get this end of chapter visible on the page.

By now, I will have a look at what happens to the next chapter's end page, to see if the same phenomenon can be redone.

Thanks. I'm still not sure I understand, but that gives me more to experiment with.

One question: why are you pasting your text into your Master Page? You should be pasting the text into document pages, which inherit their empty Text Frames from an applied Master Page. When the text overflows the Text Frame, you would Shift+Click on the red linking icon on the lower right side of the Text Frame, to have Publisher create more document pages based on the applied Master Page.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

OK,

I made another try:

• The overlapping text to the last page will not align to the top when asked (in fact the submenu says it already is).

• I cut the text stream at the for-last page, applied my justify top master to the next.

• Copy pasted the end of text separately to the top aligned page...

It looks like I shouldn't create Master Pages with the already formated text frames to avoid this problem...

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. I'm still not sure I understand, but that gives me more to experiment with.

One question: why are you pasting your text into your Master Page? You should be pasting the text into document pages, which inherit their empty Text Frames from an applied Master Page. When the text overflows the Text Frame, you would Shift+Click on the red linking icon on the lower right side of the Text Frame, to have Publisher create more document pages based on the applied Master Page.

I do not past into Master pages... but on applied Master pages in the book construction on the right side.
Then, I do the same operations I used to do with the Beta (already done 3 books with the beta, without encountering this issue).

12 minutes ago, Castle Al said:

I do not past into Master pages... but on applied Master pages

Thanks for the clarification. I would phrase that as you are pasting onto document pages. It may be relevant that the text frames you're pasting into were inherited from a Master Page.

-- Walt
PC:

Yes, right.
I just made by hand (as I used to): create a text frame upon the one already existing from Master Page. Onto the document, I duplicated that new drawn frame and linked those in order to place my text.
Doing it this way, any frame can have any alignment.
That shows me that creating "active" text formats directly within Master Pages is no time gain at all, even if hundreds of pages have the same format used.
Is there another way to get more automation done through specializing Master Pages?

31 minutes ago, Castle Al said:

Doing it this way, any frame can have any alignment.

A lot of what (I think) you are trying to achieve with text frames for the alignment is probably being overridden by the Paragraph Styles.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

56 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

A lot of what (I think) you are trying to achieve with text frames for the alignment is probably being overridden by the Paragraph Styles.

Ho! Of course... this is a domain I haven't drive through yet!
I'll have to, for sure!
Thanks a lot.

I yet do wonder if it is possible to change the attribution of a Master page on a document on the fly, when text (or any content) already has been placed on the pages.
By now, whatever exist on the page's document will disappear when trying to modify by changing its Master.

2 hours ago, Castle Al said:

By now, whatever exist on the page's document will disappear when trying to modify by changing its Master.

That should not happen, in general, though of course there are some changes you could make that would require that.

For example, if you were to delete the Text Frame from the Master, then it seems reasonable that that action would also delete the text from the related document pages. Or if you removed a Master Page from a document page, and that Master supplied the Text Frame, then again removing the text seems reasonable.

But other than those obvious cases, if you have things disappearing on document pages due to Master Page changes, please describe exactly what you were doing and provide a sample if possible.

-- Walt
PC:

High Walt,

Yes: Master can't be swapped on existing documents. The turnaround is to unlink the next page, change Master, then link on the new one. This means to work (for a multiple-page book) taking care of not doing things too much in advance. :)

Thanks for your help.