You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question: Image after chapter heading - best way?

What I want:

After each chapter heading, I want an image between the heading and the story text.

Ideal solution:

As part of the style, have it followed by an object, in this case, a predefined picture frame with contents.

As far as I know, this can't be done.

The way I do it now:

Each chapter starts on an odd page, and my heading style has Spacing -> Space After set to an appropriate figure.

I have made a copy of the main master with the image I want placed in the appropriate location, and with other frames delete, i.e. page numbers and other text frames.

I then manually apply the second master in addition to the main master in pages that start a new chapter.

This works, but since it's done manually, it takes a bit of work for a full novel AND is prone to human error.

Is there a better way?

I also need this effect done. Here what I do:

- I put put the first text frame on page 1 and autoflow the text. It's not part of the master page.

- I set the chapter title/heading to start on new/odd page with space after/before.

- I create a new master page with the appropriate image placement.

- I format the whole book first, usually at the last step before exporting, I apply the master page to the chapters so I don't have any problems if pages change order.

- To select them faster, I open the find/replace panel and the pages panel next to each other. In the find/replace panel I search for chapter paragraph style, I select the results one by one and each time the corresponding page is shown the bottom of the page panel, I Ctrl+left mouse click to select them all, the on one of them, right mouse click => apply master page...

If done correctly, this can take like 1 minute for 10 chapters. This is the fastest method I can think of that'll allow you to change the object or it's size.

I have made a request to automatically apply a certain master page when a certain paragraph style is present on a page.

7 hours ago, adreamer said:

I have made a copy of the main master with the image I want placed in the appropriate location, and with other frames delete, i.e. page numbers and other text frames.

I then manually apply the second master in addition to the main master in pages that start a new chapter.

I doubt my method is any faster than toutou123 (actually probably slower) but what I would do is place the image frame on the same Master Page but hide it on the Master Page and then go through and reveal it on the pages, this involves doing the Right Click select Edit Detached and then clicking the tick box. 

So yeah it would be a hell of a lot slower than @toutou123's suggestion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, toutou123 said:

I also need this effect done. Here what I do:

- I put the first text frame on page 1 and autoflow the text. It's not part of the master page.

I'm probably misreading, but are you making a master page with ONLY the image that goes with the chapter heading?

If so, what about other elements you want to go with a master page, e.g. page numbers, etc?

You can have more than one Master Page applied to a single Page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, adreamer said:

Each chapter starts on an odd page, and my heading style has Spacing -> Space After set to an appropriate figure.

An alternative to using Space after would be to give the image Text Wrap style of Jump. Text will wrap around objects on the master page. Admittedly, this doesn't help much, and using the text style probably makes it easier to spot mistakes when proof-reading, because there'd be an empty gap.

You can also pin the image to the header text. This would take a few clicks to set up, but once done, if changes to the document mean the heading flows onto the next page, the image will go with it. So it might work best with Old Bruce's approach of having the image on the master page hidden. The steps would be:

• Right-click on master page and Edit Detached.
  • Select the image on the Master page and tick the visible box.
  • Click the Float with Text button in the top toolbar.

So even more clicks, but you can now do it as you go along rather than it having to be a final step.

There isn't currently any way to do this entirely with a text style. Pinned objects were a late addition to the program. At some point we should consider how to integrate them with other features. It would be nice if bullets could be arbitrary objects, and if they could be included as Decorations somehow. If your image is a character in some font (perhaps a custom character in a custom font), then you could probably make it work using Next Style and a bullet style.

@adreamer In the chapter master page, I have page numbers (copied from body master page), and the image below the chapter title.

18 hours ago, Dave Harris said:

An alternative to using Space after would be to give the image Text Wrap style of Jump.

This can change the pages' order, so you can't just select all of them then "apply master page", by adding a space after, you make sure the image will fall on an empty space and it won't push any text further.

There are many ways to do it. I just find that detaches the original master page, or consists adding the image to 1 page each time, is not practical in the case where you'll need to replace the image, transform it, or changes the pages' order, can ruin everything and you'll need to correct it on all pages again and again. So I prefer to apply the chapter master page to chapter 1 to see how it'll look like, then apply it to the other pages at the last step to avoid any problems.