You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please make the current page easier to spot and have focus

In Publisher it's almost inpossible to spot the currently active page. There is some gray border around the page-thumbnail/preview but it's almost impossible to spot. Especially when having a lot of (master-)pages.

Next to this there is also a very visible selection color (blue) showing which page is SELECTED, but that is not always the same page as we are currently editing.

Also, why add so much focus (even on the name label) on a selected page(s) and so little on showing the current page?
In my opinion it's much more important to be able to quickly see what page we are currently editing than to see which page happens to be selected.

This is how it looks now:
blue for a selection and that hard to spot gray for the current page we are editing. The current page, which is the most important thing to know, is almost impossible to spot:

image.png.99418d7c4163475387901ed197445f05.png

This is how I would like to see it:
the main focus on the current page we are editing (here page 2) and keep the blue border for a selection, but don't highlight the page-name-label because that's too much focus to a selection making it difficult to spot the most important thing: which page we are currently at. So highlight the CURRENT page's label instead:

as-we-could-actually-see-it.JPG.48391964ee3f722ef1767aa3a72cbb6b.JPG

I currently see the blue highlight/border only on Master Pages. On document pages I only see the gray border.

I agree that the gray border could stand out better.

Edit: Now I can see blue borders on document pages, too. Perhaps I was accidentally double-clicking earlies, rather than single-clicking.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I currently see the blue highlight/border only on Master Pages. On document pages I only see the gray border.

I agree that the gray border could stand out better.

That 'gray' border is the current page you are working on. That could be a document page or a master page. The gray border could therefore be around both a document page and a master page, but not at the same time, because you can only have one page open a time to edit.

The same counts for selecting pages (the blue border). You can select document pages and master pages. But when you start selecting document pages, the master pages selection is gone and visa versa. That makes sense, because you cannot select both master pages and document pages at the same time because of obvious reasons.

It's probably just the way I work, but I don't really understand why you need to be able to select a page that you're not working on anyway!

I'd be quite happy just to highlight the page I'm working on.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

9 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It's probably just the way I work, but I don't really understand why you need to be able to select a page that you're not working on anyway!

I'd be quite happy just to highlight the page I'm working on.

The gray-bordered page is the current page you're editing, and the page that will be printed or exported if you choose "current page".

The blue-bordered page would be affected by right-click operations (in the Pages panel) such as Apply Master, Duplicate, etc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I don't really understand why you need to be able to select a page that you're not working on anyway! 

Sounds funny. The page I work on I do see in the main window. I need the pages panel mainly to show all other pages, all those, I am currently NOT working on. Just to be able, to simply select one of them to make it become a page I am working on ;)

Also, be aware, you can select more than 1 page, for instance to move them to a different position in the document. Besides the 7 things mentioned by Walt already.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1