AP is great, but for pixel art it's lacking a very basic feature: a nearest neighbor/hard pixel scale mode option when scaling layers, objects and text. 

Right now AP is not suitable for retaining the look of pixel art when working with layers and text, and would make a great addition since it's already so good at everything else!

Hi machineboy and welcome to the forum,

Does turning on Nearest Neighbour in Preferences > Performance > View Quality achieve what you are after?

And when exporting, ensure you choose Nearest Neighbour in your output format too.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

I think he is looking for something more like Document -> Resize Document, but for only the selected layer.

@machineboy, consider also Filters -> Distort -> Pixelate...  and welcome to the forums!

But turning on nearest neighbour allows manipulation of layers using a nearest neighbour algorithm - is that not what is required?

If not, then I guess I need an example.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Setting the view quality to Nearest Neigbour does not affect layer scaling. Also, it's impossible to create non-aliased text with AP without a proper nearest neighbour mode. Raserizing a pixelart image layer smooths it to oblivion, so unfortunately in its current state it's not possible to work with pixel art layers and text in Affinity (Pixelate filter is not viable since it doesn't remove the aliased pixels which ruins pixel art).

An example included, with

1. Original sprite

2. Scaled up with yucky aliasing

3. Horrible mush when rasterizing layer

scaled_test.png

6 hours ago, machineboy said:

Also, it's impossible to create non-aliased text with AP without a proper nearest neighbour mode. Raserizing a pixelart image layer smooths it to oblivion, so unfortunately in its current state it's not possible to work with pixel art layers and text in Affinity

It is my belief (possibly wrong, of course) that text in Photo is a vector format. As such, it would not become pixels in the document until you export to a raster format (PNG, etc.). At the time you export I would think that the nearest-neighbor resampling option would help you.

(Note: Unlike Designer, Photo always displays in pixel mode, as it is intended for working with raster images. That can make text appear pixelated when you zoom in Photo, because the display is pixel mode. Until it is exported I don't think you'd really know how it will look, and again, the resampling you choose during export may be a determining factor. Again, my understanding may be flawed :))

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.514 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.523 Beta