You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.1.25597)

May I ask the question how long it might take to finish off Affinity Photo Beta?

I´m just constantly reading that everything is going to happen after this release and that´s totally ok and reasonable but I`m just getting curious about how long it might take..?

Peace (y) 

Ok thank you very much for this info! 

PS: It´s so awesome to have this Forums where we can talk to you, the devs, directly!

If only every software was developed this way!

And I also strongly believe that this is the very best strategy to enhance the functionality of software, fit the customers needs and keep everything clean and straight. Thus it is also the best solution for your software and it will really get all your effort refined! 

Thx for post #25 Matt – great to have even the slightest detail on the priorities for the AD roadmap.

By all means feel free to skip past Boolean operators/expand stroke and go straight to Artboards - Loads of us are waiting for these!

Cheers and keep up the great work,

Christian

This is all music to these ears...  ;)

Yes I imagine there are a few watching and waiting for some of these features to come "on board" before making their move to replace or adopt to a new workflow.

Oooh it sounds very exciting!!

• Staff

Glitch in PNG export - never seen it in other versions. Also PNG export seems to be slower/more resource demanding (CPU).

EDIT: The same glitch appears when zooming in/out.

Are you able to share this file with us at support@seriflabs.com so we can see what's happening? :)  We'll obviously delete it again after we find the problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3019777/gidolesquare.afdesign it's also ridiculously huge 

EDIT:

And the colors are all sorts of wrong when I try to open it in the normal version.

So currently I have to save as psd, open in photoshop, export png to get usable files.

Affinity is really testing my patience as of late - glad to see #25 and hope you get things sorted soon so we can have a more stable and reliable product.

Dave is busily writing our PDF exporter

Actually some of the requirements for PDF are also useful in other vector export formats, and I've been working on them first and many have been included in this beta. That's what the "Improved export options for vector formats" was about. It includes things like downsampling of images, control of JPEG quality, and rasterisation DPI. There have been behind-the-scenes changes to make these work. For example, previously SVG export always used PNG for rasterise portions, but now it can use JPEG as well.

These options are currently available directly in the Export Persona, and via presets in File > Export. In the next build, they'll be available directly from File > Export too, so you won't need to use the Export Persona to get at them.

The upshot should be better quality and smaller sized files, and more control over the trade-off between quality and size. It could all do with testing, though.

I'm also open to suggestions as to what default export presets we should ship with. My plan is to have three for each vector format, called "web", "print" and "export". Currently "web" means 72dpi, "print" means 300dpi, and "export" means preserving as much of the original document as possible regardless of size. Do you actually use 72dpi for web now, or should it be a higher value?

• Staff

Hi Matt,

Noticed that Pages and Artboards are in the Affinity Designer Feature Roadmap.

Will these be two different things?

Just wanted to get a clear picture on this.

Thanks.

Pages and Artboards are two different things - I think we're likely to add Artboards first :)

I usually use the pixel measurements for web tather thsn a fixed dpi value.

The context here is a vector file, such as SVG or PDF, having potentially several elements that need to be rasterised. Those elements could be different sizes, so it's not practical to set their size in pixels.

Glitch in PNG export - never seen it in other versions. Also PNG export seems to be slower/more resource demanding (CPU).

EDIT: The same glitch appears when zooming in/out.

Yikes. The text repositioning with zoom will be fixed in the next beta. The document is saved with it in the wrong position, but if you load it into the next beta, nudge it and then undo it should come right.

Hi

I know I bring this up EVERY beta (Sorry!), but I still get a crash every single time I try and export over an existing file:

• New file, put something on it (even just one shape)
  • CMD-OPTION-SHIFT-S to export (select any file type)
  • Save it
  • CMD-OPTION-SHIFT-S to export again
  • Select the file created earlier
  • It asks for overwrite confirmation
  • Accept it and
  • CRASH :(

The crash logs aren't always identical but it often mentions "/System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver" (see "Crash on Export Overwrite 2").

I even changed the settings to reset "Use  hardware OpenGL" and to set "Use only integrated GPU" but it still crashes every time.

I know this seems very isolated (as otherwise the forums would be inundated with it as it is a rather often used use case) as it only seems to affect me (although there was someone else a while back who mentioned something similar) and you haven't been able to replicate it. I don't get similar errors with any other apps so I doubt its a hardware issue on my MacBook Pro but AD really doesn't seem to like it when I export over something.

Is it possible to give me a version to run with the export code inundated with logs or something to at least be able to narrow it down a bit more?

Crash on Export Overwrite.txt

Crash on Export Overwrite 2.txt

Yikes. The text repositioning with zoom will be fixed in the next beta. The document is saved with it in the wrong position, but if you load it into the next beta, nudge it and then undo it should come right.

Great, what about the file size - looks huge to me. The image used was originally 4-5mb and that combined with some text and layer effects shouldn't result in a +100mb file?

Not sure if this is beta only but: Open/create file -> make some edits -> "forget" to save -> cmd + w -> ask if you want to save the changes -> "yes" -> file is saved but window is still open.

If it's intentional then I'd highly suggest you change it - all other programs I've tried does "save + close window" when you click "yes".

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.