You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.1.25597)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Features, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: https://s3.amazonaws...stomer Beta.dmg

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Improvements, Features, Fixes

- Improved export options for vector formats with better control over output.

- Fix for file export not including metadata or colour profiles.

- Fix for setting blend options and ranges occasionally overwriting each other.

- Command+W now hides the application frame if there were no documents open, just like pressing the red cross in the top left of the window.

- Fix for incorrect line weight being applied when exporting objects inside a container which has been scaled. This applies to vector export types only.

- Pixel marquee tools can now automatically pan the view when you reach the edge of the view with your mouse.

- Tweaks to text tool logic - hopefully a more pleasing experience now.

- Fix for slice layers occasionally doubling in size!

- Enabled the Space+Command zoom modifier logic for all brush tools.

- Enabled Ctrl+Option drag modifier for resizing in the vector pencil and brush tools.

I just downloaded the new Beta, I cannot add a text layer to an image. If I select the "artistic text" the font size remains "0" regardless of trying to change it. Any thoughts? Mac OSX 10.9  Affinity Beta 1.2.1.25410 

MattP,

Thanks again to you and all of the Affinity team for all the hard work! I like that you added this "Command+W now hides the application frame if there were no documents open, just like pressing the red cross in the top left of the window." I'm still hoping that one day I will see "Hide/Show All" sometime when I first launch a new beta (but I know that you guys have a full plate but hopefully sometime down the road)! Thanks again!

Hokusai

Thank you very much for that update … apart from the other nice things (and fixes!), this is actually great:

Enabled the Space+Command zoom modifier logic for all brush tools  :D

The only thing I would like to ask regarding that feature: Would it be possible to allow "Cmd, then Space" as well? At the moment I can get it to work only by hitting Space first and then Cmd.

EDIT Seems to be a Lion issue … a quick test shows that it works on Yosemite …  :unsure:

Matt, are you playing with us.  The title of this topic is "Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.1.25598)" but the version I ended up getting when I downloaded is 1.2.1.25597.  Is ...597 the correct version or is there really a ...598 that should have been installed?  ;)

Now I'm hungry for 1.2.1.25598!

Great work team.  Thank you for all the toys.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Hi MBd,

actually Cmd + Space and Opt + Space (in that order) both seem to work for me on Yosemite, whereas on Lion only Opt + Space does work, while Cmd + Space fails to work (in that order).

Seems to be a Lion issue … but I would be happy if someone could confirm this …  :unsure:

• Staff

Matt, are you playing with us.  The title of this topic is "Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.1.25598)" but the version I ended up getting when I downloaded is 1.2.1.25597.  Is ...597 the correct version or is there really a ...598 that should have been installed?  ;)

Now I'm hungry for 1.2.1.25598!

Great work team.  Thank you for all the toys.

Haha, well I'm afraid to say that it's simply a problem with me writing this post to say what's included while it's still building and it chose a different source control revision to stamp it with than the one I expected... So sadly, there's no changes to be had right now! I've updated the title to match the actual build - thanks! :)

• Staff

Hi MBd,

actually Cmd + Space and Opt + Space (in that order) both seem to work for me on Yosemite, whereas on Lion only Opt + Space does work, while Cmd + Space fails to work (in that order).

Seems to be a Lion issue … but I would be happy if someone could confirm this …  :unsure:

Hmmm... I'll ask for this to be looked at on Lion just to make sure - sounds a bit odd, but then sometimes these things are! Sorry about this Alex :(

Thanks again for all your input - it's really valuable and always well received :)

Matt

• Staff

Very small update :)

Yes, sorry... and they'll remain quite incremental and small until Photo is launched: We've been running two branches for the last month or so - a branch for Photo which has a matching Designer (so the changes must be small and not introduce any problems so that we can concentrate on bringing Photo to release - this is the current branch that Designer Beta and Photo Beta are being built from) and an active development branch where larger changes are still being made to Designer. After Photo is released we will merge the branches together and then get back on course with the larger changes we're making for Designer.

So there's a reason they're small changes for now - the difference between what we're actually implementing and what you can see we're implementing is large because right now we can't afford for anything which needs significant testing to enter the public-facing codebase... For App Store deployment, we need to keep Designer and Photo at the same version so they need to be stable at exactly the same time.

Thanks,

Matt

After Photo is released we will merge the branches together and then get back on course with the larger changes we're making for Designer.

Yeah baby! ...and I'll have to come up with a kitty idea for you Matt...

Whohoo.. i almost wet my pants (ctrl+alt+drag = change brush size) for vector brush/pencil :)

One final request to perfect that one:

Add change opacity of the vector brush dragging up n down (like hardness in Pixel persona) :wub:

Thank you guys

@MattP: thanks for the explanation, I was a bit worried about the (apparent) slowdown in development. I picked AD up early and am still waiting for a few crucial features (keyboard remapping in particular) to be implemented  in order to be able to use it in production — in the current state the slowdown in operating speed compared to AI is just too big (this may not apply to all users, but just my workflow)

• Staff

Whohoo.. i almost wet my pants (ctrl+alt+drag = change brush size) for vector brush/pencil :)

One final request to perfect that one:

Add change opacity of the vector brush dragging up n down (like hardness in Pixel persona) :wub:

Thank you guys

Deal! - I'll add it when I get a moment :)

• Staff

@MattP: thanks for the explanation, I was a bit worried about the (apparent) slowdown in development. I picked AD up early and am still waiting for a few crucial features (keyboard remapping in particular) to be implemented  in order to be able to use it in production — in the current state the slowdown in operating speed compared to AI is just too big (this may not apply to all users, but just my workflow)

Andy Tang has added user-definable keyboard shortcuts complete with ability to load/save mapping files and this will be one of the first things to be included in the beta after we've released Photo and Designer to the App Store... The potential for this to go wrong in subtle ways is very high so we can't risk adding it to a release this close to the deadline - it needs testing thoroughly! :)

Thanks for the info — I prefer a stable release to an early one, so I'll be happy to wait. 

One more thing, I requested this some time ago, any chance it will be implemented? https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3211-pen-tool-%E2%80%94-moving-points-when-drawing/ 

This is quite a big one for me, as itdramatically increases drawing speed (so crucial with tight deadlines these days)

• Staff

Yes, it was requested a while ago by a number of others too - I didn't know about it at the time because it's just not how I work, but we'll definitely add it - just have a few other things to do first... :)

Hi Matt,

thanks again for the quick response. As I said, I'm not in a hurry. :) You guys have been making a lot of right choices (that's why I bought into AD in the first place), so I feel pretty confident AD will replace AI in my workflow in the long run.

cheers & thanks again,

Sven

Yes, sorry... and they'll remain quite incremental and small until Photo is launched: We've been running two branches for the last month or so - a branch for Photo which has a matching Designer (so the changes must be small and not introduce any problems so that we can concentrate on bringing Photo to release - this is the current branch that Designer Beta and Photo Beta are being built from) and an active development branch where larger changes are still being made to Designer. After Photo is released we will merge the branches together and then get back on course with the larger changes we're making for Designer.

So there's a reason they're small changes for now - the difference between what we're actually implementing and what you can see we're implementing is large because right now we can't afford for anything which needs significant testing to enter the public-facing codebase... For App Store deployment, we need to keep Designer and Photo at the same version so they need to be stable at exactly the same time.

Thanks,

Matt

Knew it...

Anything you can tease us with?

• Staff

Ben is currently working solely on the Designer changes that will allow lots of little niggles with a number of our core tools (move, node, etc) to be easily resolved (it looks like a small change, but he's basically ripped everything apart and is putting it back together again with new functionality!), Dave is busily writing our PDF exporter and AndyT has implemented a really cool customisable keyboard accelerator window :)  I've been doing some Photo-related stuff to try to help out where I can and will soon be back on with looking at boolean ops, expand stroke and a nice idea we have for artboards - then I might see what state symbols are in... There is a lot of good stuff already hanging around our codebase that just needs pulling together to make the features we know we want - and a lot of it is achievable in the not-too-distant future... but that's after Photo goes live - it has to be our priority right now to make sure it goes out strong and stable :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.