Jump to content
henryb

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Andy Duffy said:

!!!!!! UPDATE.!!!!!!

I just thought I should reboot and try again and it works!!!

Just for info, before I rebooted, I set photos to NOT use the retail version of the extensions (leaving only the beta ones) and tested again which did fail. So am not sure if it was just the reboot or the change to extensions and the reboot that fixed it

After I installed the Beta, both sets of extensions showed up when I clicked on the ... button in Photos. The Beta extensions weren’t identified as such, but they were the second set, which makes sense since I installed the Beta after the production version.  So it is possible to keep both sets of extensions, which might come in handy if there are other problems in the beta.

Did you try the place command once you had a picture open, and did it work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is related to this problem but I've been unable to edit photos with Affinity from the MacOS Photos app. I consistently get the "Unable to Save Changes" error as noted in the below screenshot. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.51.44 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

I don't know if this is related to this problem but I've been unable to edit photos with Affinity from the MacOS Photos app. I consistently get the "Unable to Save Changes" error as noted in the below screenshot. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 11.51.44 AM.png

Dave just make your edits, File>Share>iMsg yourself and save from iMessage.  This is my workaround unless I export to file to a folder on SSD.  It may take time, but they will get it fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Dave just make your edits, File>Share>iMsg yourself and save from iMessage.  This is my workaround unless I export to file to a folder on SSD.  It may take time, but they will get it fixed.

On my Mac running Catalina, it is still possible to save to Apple Photos directly on the File/Share menu item - the same way you would send it to yourself with iMessage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dave123,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm assuming you are using Affinity Photo 1.7.3. If so, this is a known issue that's being looked at in Affinity Photo 1.8 Customer Beta. If you are working exclusively with RAW files it may work fine for you already (1.8 Customer Beta). If using other files types there's still a few known issues we are looking into.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, SteveB523 said:

On my Mac running Catalina, it is still possible to save to Apple Photos directly on the File/Share menu item - the same way you would send it to yourself with iMessage.

Hi Steve

I'll check when I get home. My workflow is to use Photos to acquire the images from my camera, that way I have a copy of them on my laptop and let them sync to iCloud so I have a backup copy. I then use the extensions in photos to "Edit in Affinity Photo", make my edits and then save and close the file in Affinity and then it drops me back to photos where I can commit the save back to photos. This was the bit that broke for me, but after installing the beta and disabling the older extensions (and a reboot) it all came good. I do then also take a copy of my photos library as an additional backup but that is getting off topic.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Andy Duffy said:

disabling the older extensions

What extensions did you have to delete and may I inquire as to why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Cecil,
Andy was referring to the "older" Affinity Photo 1.7.3 extensions. If you install the Customer Beta, a new set of extensions is installed as well. To prevent them from conflicting with the ones from 1.7.3 while testing is advisable to disable them. This can be done in the macOS System Preferences, Extensions section: uncheck all regular Affinity Photo extensions (that belong to the 1.7.3 version) and enable the Affinity Photo Beta ones. See screenshot below for reference:

preferences_extensions.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, using the latest beta, I've disabled the extensions for the retail version and restarted.  The Edit in Affinity option works as a round trip (after clicking Develop, saving the changes and closing the file) albeit it gives me a warning about exceeding file size and flattening the file.  However the Affinity Develop option still gives the familar "Unable to edit with Affinity Develop" "An unexpected error occurred" error.  I haven't tried other extensions yet.  This is on a MacBook Pro and iMac.  Is the Affinity Develop roundtrip working for others?

 

PS the right click on thumbnail "edit with" is also not working for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AndyA said:

Hi, using the latest beta, I've disabled the extensions for the retail version and restarted.  The Edit in Affinity option works as a round trip (after clicking Develop, saving the changes and closing the file) albeit it gives me a warning about exceeding file size and flattening the file.  However the Affinity Develop option still gives the familar "Unable to edit with Affinity Develop" "An unexpected error occurred" error.  I haven't tried other extensions yet.  This is on a MacBook Pro and iMac.  Is the Affinity Develop roundtrip working for others?

 

PS the right click on thumbnail "edit with" is also not working for me

Andy - try Document/Flatten before you a save and Quit in the Extension approach (“the Affinity Develop option). If I don’t do that, it gives me the error message; if I flatten it first, it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SteveB523 said:

Andy - try Document/Flatten before you a save and Quit in the Extension approach (“the Affinity Develop option). If I don’t do that, it gives me the error message; if I flatten it first, it works.

Steve, thanks for the suggestion but I don't have document/flatten when I open in the Affinity Develop extension.  The Affinity app is opened within Photos and I only have the Photos menus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Cecil,
Andy was referring to the "older" Affinity Photo 1.7.3 extensions. If you install the Customer Beta, a new set of extensions is installed as well. To prevent them from conflicting with the ones from 1.7.3 is advisable to disable them. This can be done in the macOS System Preferences, Extensions section: uncheck all regular Affinity Photo extensions (that belong to the 1.7.3 version) and enable the Affinity Photo Beta ones. See screenshot below for reference:

preferences_extensions.jpg

Thanks, as I never seen it discussed to disable the retail version extension.  I guess if One uses both, it’s back and forth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cecil - since the Beta installs along side the production version, I assumed you could keep both sets of extensions, and I have, at least so far. I've been able to switch back and forth, although admittedly, I've only done it a few times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disabling the extensions helps to prevents mistakes/conflicts while testing. They should work correctly if both are enabled but it's advisable not doing so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After installing the 1.8.0.163 beta I can report following:

Extension "Develop" works for jpeg, but not for RAW to  save changes to Apple Photos

Extension "Edit in Affinity Photo" works for RAW but not for jpeg to save changes back to Apple Photo's.

I didn't test the other extensions as they where fine in version 1.7.3. (Will try those perhaps another time). 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MacGB said:

After installing the 1.8.0.163 beta I can report following:

Extension "Develop" works for jpeg, but not for RAW to  save changes to Apple Photos

Extension "Edit in Affinity Photo" works for RAW but not for jpeg to save changes back to Apple Photo's.

I didn't test the other extensions as they where fine in version 1.7.3. (Will try those perhaps another time). 

Cheers

Try Document/Flatten after using the “Edit in Affinity Photo” extension before saving; that works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SteveB523

Thanks for your response.

Well I did try that to no avail, However I took another jpeg made one adjustment, and that went fine after Flatten.

So I experimented a little more, making more than one adjustment to that same jpeg , resulting in being not able to save back.

Took a different jpeg (from another camera) did the same: multiple edits, not able to save back.

So I did another experiment. Open a RAW make multiple adjustments in Develop mode. Followed by multiple adjustments in the Photo Persona that went ok.

So still in beta and some work to do for the team I guess ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveB523 said:

Try Document/Flatten after using the “Edit in Affinity Photo” extension before saving; that works for me.

Using "Edit in Affinity Photo" extension with a RAW file I still get the warning even if I flatten the file before closing it (edit the RAW, develop, flatten - close - save).  Its a 50MB Fuji RAF file.  Not sure if I'm losing anything by just clicking Save?

 

177144381_Screenshot2020-01-14at19_38_28.png.33e24e985abc347faf32f6a2b3a29698.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MacGB said:

Extension "Develop" works for jpeg, but not for RAW to  save changes to Apple Photos

I agree, Develop is not working for RAW, which presumably is its main purpose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AndyA said:

I agree, Develop is not working for RAW, which presumably is its main purpose

I also agree; getting the same error message.

What is supposed to happen? Should the RAW file get replaced with a new Raw file? Or should it replace the Raw file with a JPEG with the changes made? I'm confused now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

What is supposed to happen? Should the RAW file get replaced with a new Raw file? Or should it replace the Raw file with a JPEG with the changes made? I'm confused now.

 

As far as I understand from the API from Photo's The RAW wil be replaced as a jpeg with the changes. I am not sure about the history though. When I re-open with Affinity extension, it always opens the original RAW, without adjustments. There are extensions that keep the history (depends though, it's a rather complex story).So they start with the adjusted photo.

This might be of interest to understand how Apple Photo's can interact. 

https://tidbits.com/2019/06/14/the-ins-and-outs-of-non-destructive-editing-in-photos-for-mac-and-ios/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 5:54 PM, MacGB said:

After installing the 1.8.0.163 beta I can report following:

 

...

Extension "Edit in Affinity Photo" works for RAW but not for jpeg to save changes back to Apple Photo's....

so this problem STILL has not been fixed??? Are we serious now??..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well on the positive side:

It works for RAW, which it didn’t, the extension develop works for jpeg. That’s an improvement also.

It’s still a beta release for which Affinity indicates they are still working on a solution because it hasn’t been fixed in this beta.

so I keep my hopes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

any news on the release of the official AP version that will fix the saving back into Mac OS Photos problem that has been known for EIGHT MONTHS now??...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.