You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

Extremely bad news :61_sob:  :61_sob: OS X BETA 10.15.2 has the same bug. Apparently the bug is on the software side in Affinity Photo

standard    21:53:30.661813+0100    runningboardd    Invalidating assertion 580-268-271 (target:executable<Affinity Photo(503)>) from originator 268
standard    21:53:30.812032+0100    runningboardd    [executable<Affinity Photo(503)>:2298] Ignoring jetsam update because this process is not memory-managed
standard    21:53:30.812105+0100    runningboardd    [executable<Affinity Photo(503)>:2298] Set darwin role to: UserInteractiveNonFocal
standard    21:53:30.812155+0100    runningboardd    [executable<Affinity Photo(503)>:2298] Ignoring GPU update because this process is not GPU managed

Failed to save content editing output <PHContentEditingOutput: 0x600001a1d220> adjustmentData=<PHAdjustmentData: 0x60000262db30> identifier=com.seriflabs.affinityphoto version=1.0 data=0x6000029cb460 (0), renderedContentURL=file:///var/folders/my/r72_4p2x53j2c171rt68_t_00000gq/T/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.AffinityExtension/RenderedContent-F5F25481-788F-430B-96F5-50772627FCEE.JPG, renderedPreviewContentURL=(null) with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=-1 "(null)"

17 hours ago, ghozx said:

I downloaded the free app "Open In - External editor support for Photos.app" by Alexander Kent. This works for me. https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/open-in-external-editor-support-for-photos-app/id1054519713?mt=12

Not with RAW files.

And btw, Affinity....there is developer beta's for a reason. Got some new progress on the bug? Still no idea why its not working? Apple contacted? Someone doing anything? How is it prioritised? Some dude spending 2 minutes per day on it? Your competitors have this fixed by now, they did it last week.

• Staff

Hi all,
The macOS Catalina update has brought up a few more issues than we initially expected. Some, as the Apple Photos integration/extension(s), are being a bit more difficult to sort out than others but we are actively working to fix them. Please bear with us. I will update this thread as soon as i have some news. Thanks for your support and understanding.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi all,
The macOS Catalina update has brought up a few more issues than we initially expected. Some, as the Apple Photos integration/extension(s), are being a bit more difficult to sort out than others but we are actively working to fix them. Please bear with us. I will update this thread as soon as i have some news. Thanks for your support and understanding.

Do you think a warning should be issued for MacOS 10.15.1 and iPadOS that the program should not be purchased if you rely on App Photos and iCloud storage for your work?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• Staff

Hi Cecil,
I think it's a little bit too soon for that. There was a known issue with Mojave, but the extension was working correctly and allowed the workflow between the two apps until macOS Catalina's release last month. It's not unusual to find out some broken things/functionality after major OS updates - Apple is still fixing some issues themselves -. I'm confident the dev team just needs a little bit more time to have this fixed for once.

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Cecil,
I think it's a little bit too soon for that. There was a known issue with Mojave, but the extension was working correctly and allowed the workflow between the two apps until macOS Catalina's release last month. It's not unusual to find out some broken things/functionality after major OS updates - Apple is still fixing some issues themselves -. I'm confident the dev team just needs a little bit more time to have this fixed for once.

MEB I respect your reply; however, I could not save AP changes to Apple’s Photos, Mojave.  My suggestion was based on users purchasing a program with known Mojave and Catalina issues.  Not all, but I expect high percentage of Mac users, use Apple’s Photos as their DAM. I would not purchase a new car unless I was confident If came with a steering wheel, the main photo application.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

4 hours ago, Dizzypole said:

I don't understand all the grief on here, it's not a showstopper, not the end of the world, I think a liitle perspective is needed here, there is a perfectly suitable work around using a free app. We get free upgrades. I for one am happy to wait, not pay Adobe's subscription. These things happen.

Depends on your personal workflow with Apple’s Photos.  Showstopper no, nor is any bug unless if affects you or totally makes program unusable.  My only point to MEB, whom I have total respect, this issue should either be made known to potential Mac buyers upfront.  Show stopper for many, not all.

Cecil 

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi all,

I'm still on Mojave where the problem still exists - so the Catalina problem is not the only thing that need addressing.

Cecil, my post wasn’t directed at yours, but others. I have 20,000+ photos in Photo and am editing frequently again now I have the workaround, it’s probably only one extra click than normal. Did have the issue on Mojave, but after removing the Affinity extension, restarting Photo and readding the issue went away.

30 minutes ago, Dizzypole said:

Cecil, my post wasn’t directed at yours, but others. I have 20,000+ photos in Photo and am editing frequently again now I have the workaround, it’s probably only one extra click than normal. Did have the issue on Mojave, but after removing the Affinity extension, restarting Photo and readding the issue went away.

May I ask what extension you deleted, application.  Maybe pass that info to Affinity as they been trying to fix for months.  I can open Apple’s Photos, just cannot save any changes.  Maybe a short video for many that would greatly appreciate.

Cecil 

There are so many different threads now about AP and Apple Photos on the forums it’s hard to keep track of what workarounds some have found that can help.

Regarding what Dizzypole found to be effective for getting the Edit In… extension working again in Mojave, I had the same problem and fixed it in a similar, if not more “all out”, fashion.
But this fix may well only work in Mojave and lower. (I won’t be upgrading to Catalina until AP and Photos play nicely together again).
You can see my post about it in one of the many other threads about AP v Photos here: (But do note the post immediately after mine. There are no guarantees!)

not

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

1 hour ago, Dizzypole said:

So... the miracle workaround with one (!) extra click after editing RAW files is how? And actually it is a showstopper, whatever that is, I can't work on my photos and are currently waiting a fix or a move elsewhere. Crazy comments dude.

2 hours ago, Dizzypole said:

HenkeJ, I thought you would have read the post I’d put earlier about the work around, as yours was the very next post, I downloaded the free app ‘Open In’ which works well for me. I don’t store RAW files in Photo, so can’t comment.

So.....hrrm...what was the point with your not understanding the "grief" post on here then? You don't store RAW files. Your workaround don't work if you do. Happy days for you.

Something for those who seem to think that making beta versions of macOS available absolves Apple of all guilt when a program stumbles over a change in a new release.  Several purveyors of display calibration programs regularly wait for the new release before adapting their products.  This they justify with their experience that Apple makes changes even after Gold Masters.  It might therefore be a better strategy for Affinity to release beta versions of their products in response to Apple's macOS releases until incompatibilities can be resolved to users' general satisfaction.  That would also leave users with a version to fall back upon.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

@Richard, (and others)

I can partly agree, however this problem was introduced with the release of Affinity Photo 1.7. ... even with Mojave. I reported that already with the Beta of 1.7, but the problem got never solved so far.

I am not complaining in every post or thread in this forum. But to me Affinity for sure isn't handling this adequately. It's a great app, however for those who rely on Photo's as a DAM, like me,  it's not that suited.

The only way present to use, is to change your workflow. So yes you can edit from Apple Photos to Affinity, and then need to export your Pictures elsewhere. Not working for me though. presently this is the only way I can think off, as well for RAW as jpeg edits.

Using the app. "external editors" sents of a jpeg or a tiff (depending on the settings within that app.) and saves back a jpeg to photo's. Not happy with that either.

There are some app's, that handle that in a perfect way. ( so keeping RAW's including their editing history). I'll stick to those for the time being. Luckily I was able to buy the Affinity app's with a lot of rebates at the time, so I take my losses :10_wink:, and wait for more to come.

By the way bug reports would help I guess.

Dear all,

My work around for raw files is as follows:

- Export the raw files from Photos as unmodified originals to a folder on desktop

- Edit them in AP,  export as jpeg in another folder on the desktop

- Back in Photos, choose edit with "External Editors for Photos" (from the App Store)

- Choose "Replace with File" (bottom right in window), choose the appropriate jpeg and click "Save changes"

Works quite well an fast if you first edit a bunch of pictures in AP and then "import" it back to Photos one after the other. I hope, this procedure will be of use for the one or the other

OK so it seems like we are not getting anywhere with this.. Your bug appeared in June 2019, and we are now approaching the next decade and no feedback from you other than a vague "we're working on it" (which could mean anything really).... Dear Serif please tell us what AP version we can revert to so that we can work as we did, and how we can do this. It's NOT "Catalina" that's at fault - I'm using Mojave and since June it hasn;t been working there either - it's Affinity Photo's bug. So tell us how to install an older version of AP that WILL work until your developers decide to fix your bug (in their own good time - as it seems).

Please excuse my last comment, but it's been nearly HALF A YEAR that we've all been waiting for you to fix your own bug and deliver a working AP version, and so far ZILCH. (And we don't want to be trying "workarounds", nor any other alchemies. We shouldn't have to.)

Thank you. 

I would also be glad if this problem would disappear. I talk a lot of people into Affinity Photo and got a lot of complains now...

I have no clue what goes wrong but I am sure it could not be rocket science to fix the bug. It is an official API for Photos and I pretty sure you would even get some help from Apple if you can not find the cause on yourself.

So please fix it soon.