Jump to content
henryb

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

Recommended Posts

EDIT: IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ so does the 1.8 version that is released now, finally solve the problem/bug that we've all been waiting to be fixed since June 2019?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ henryb

Well... not quite.

The extension "edith in Affinity Photo" works fine for as-well jpeg /tiff and RAW. Great !
One "pity" though. After saving a RAW back to Photo's, you cannot re-open to continue with the edits. It will always start with the original RAW.

The extension "Develop" works for jpeg, but still not for RAW. When I open a RAW and want to save the edits I still get the message "unable to edit with Affinity..."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK so the develop extension is not working.  I'd only want to use it for RAW files which I would have thought is the main use case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Andy,

To be honest, the develop extension does not do much more or even less then Photo's can do by its-self (that is at least my opinion). So If you like to do profound edits in RAW you are better off using the extension "edit in Affinity Photo" as you wil have much more possibilities, using the full power of Affinity. And that extension works great now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MacGB said:

@ henryb

Well... not quite.

The extension "edith in Affinity Photo" works fine for as-well jpeg /tiff and RAW. Great !
One "pity" though. After saving a RAW back to Photo's, you cannot re-open to continue with the edits. It will always start with the original RAW.

The extension "Develop" works for jpeg, but still not for RAW. When I open a RAW and want to save the edits I still get the message "unable to edit with Affinity..."

 

 

Well, I haven't check out everything yet. I just went to the app store, downloaded the 1.8 update, then opened Photos, right-clicked on a haphazard photo, clicked on edit with affinity photo, made a couple of eedits, cmd+s saved, and the edited photo had replaced the original photo in Photos. That was what it was supposed to be able to do, and was able to before the bug of June 2019 came into our lives, and now can do again!! I can't say that an 8-month wait for such a BASIC flaw in AP is something to say "kudos" to Serif for (actually it's INSANELY late), but at least it now works!! :) :) 

You are saying that something else (related to this topic) STILL doesn't work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I downloaded AP 1.8.1 today.  The Edit In method, Save did not work for me.  However, opening Photos, double click of photo to open, Edit, click Eclipse and click open in AP.  I made my edits, File, Share and Add to Photos.  All edits were saved to my Apple Photos App.  I don't know if this is the intended method AP designed, I do know it worked for me.  This is Ok if you want the edits to be final and stored in the Apple App.


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MacGB said:

Well Andy,

To be honest, the develop extension does not do much more or even less then Photo's can do by its-self (that is at least my opinion). So If you like to do profound edits in RAW you are better off using the extension "edit in Affinity Photo" as you wil have much more possibilities, using the full power of Affinity. And that extension works great now.

Hi MacGB

Agreed there's the "edit with" option as a workaround which provides more functionality and it's just a few more clicks, I can live with that although if I were the product owner it would annoy me having to explain why a feature (develop extension for RAW) does not work.

I'm still getting a "limit exceeded" error when I use "edit with", are you seeing that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Andy,

To make it perfectly clear: I do not mean the "edit with" function by using a right-click in Photos, but the Affinity extension "Edit in Affinity Photo", that one wil fire-up Affinity Photo using the RAW (or original jpeg for that matter). The right-click procedure in Photo's will, in case of a RAW-file, sent a tiff-file to Affinity, not the original RAW. 

So far I didn't see the "limit exceeded" but I will try some more examples next couple of days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MacGB said:

@Andy,

To make it perfectly clear: I do not mean the "edit with" function by using a right-click in Photos, but the Affinity extension "Edit in Affinity Photo", that one wil fire-up Affinity Photo using the RAW (or original jpeg for that matter). The right-click procedure in Photo's will, in case of a RAW-file, sent a tiff-file to Affinity, not the original RAW. 

So far I didn't see the "limit exceeded" but I will try some more examples next couple of days. 

@MacGB  Yes, I tried the right click and the behaviour is completely different.  "Edit with" is producing the "16MB change limit exceeded - document will be flattened" message.  I don't really know what this means or if it's an issue, I can see it's been raised on the forum many times going back at least to 2016 but couldn't find a definitive answer.  I'm guessing it's not a problem if the photo is finished...but I'm only guessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy,

You keep getting me confused by the words you are using 😀. “Edit with” means the right-click option. “Edit in Affinity” means using the extension.

the message “flatten” means that Affinity has created multiple layers during the edit. Photo’s cannot receive layered documents, so the document needs to be “flattened” , meaning al layers are combined to one layer and the edits are “baked in”. If you reopen the picture you cannot edit the different layers or remove one. So if your document is finished it is no problem, and in Photo’s you can always go back to the original. If you use the “save” command in Affinity you have the option to save with or without layers. If you “save with” you need to store your picture/document outside of Photo’s.

I am not sure what the message “exceed the 16 Mb limit message” means. Wasn’t able to figure out if it has to do with caching of Affinity or perhaps a limitation in Photo’s. As I am a curious person, I will try to figure this out in the coming days.

cheers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi MacGB

Thanks, sorry for not being clear, it's "Edit in Affinity Photo" which I've been using.  It would be nice if someone from Affinity answered the question about what the "16MB change limit exceeded - document will be flattened" message means, given it's been knocking around for a while.  I Googled it and all the results come from this forum.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 11:41 AM, AndyA said:

Hi MacGB

Agreed there's the "edit with" option as a workaround which provides more functionality and it's just a few more clicks, I can live with that although if I were the product owner it would annoy me having to explain why a feature (develop extension for RAW) does not work.

I'm still getting a "limit exceeded" error when I use "edit with", are you seeing that?

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment about the frustration we, as product owners, may justify feeI. I bought AP in good faith on the understanding that it was compatible with Catalina and by extension, Apple Photos. Sad to learn by experience that this is not the case. I am very disappointed that at least two of the AP extensions do not work as advertised, at least they don't work for me and apparently, some others. Affinity Develop does not work for RAW, and while it is possible to develop raw photos using the Edit in AP extension, if I subsequently open the developed image with Edit in AP it reverts to the original. Even though this is a pre-1.8 thread, I hope these two extensions are still being worked on by the developers and that the AP team has not assumed that all is well with Apple Photos and APl. It is not and these issues continue, at least for some of us, in 1.8.1. There is also a thread dealing with the long standing Apple Photo "Edit in AP" extension issue in the 1.8 bug forum.

I also use an extension for a different photo editing software product and it works without any problem with Apple Photos, as does the four year old $2 extension External Editor for Photos, so it would seem that the issue is with AP, not with Apple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rhmb said:

Even though this is a pre-1.8 thread, I hope these two extensions are still being worked on by the developers and that the AP team has not assumed that all is well with Apple Photos and APl.

I’m pretty sure Affinity does continue to work on their interface to Apple Photos, as they did not claim to have fixed in in their release notes for version 1.8.1.  Serif has also stated that Apple is not being overly helpful by not documenting changes that they made in Version 13. Although I haven’t tested them yet, they’ve also released at least a couple of beta versions of version 8.2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to others who have stated that AP 1.8.1 did not solve this bug:

For me, it does work with RAW-images now, but not with JPEGs. Using the "Edit in"-method, I get this error message (screenshot in German language, sorry for that) when saving back in Apple Photos: ["Editing with "Edit in Affinity Photos" failed. An unexpected error occurred."]

Bug Affinity.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 10:30 AM, MacGB said:

@ henryb

Well... not quite.

The extension "Develop" works for jpeg, but still not for RAW. When I open a RAW and want to save the edits I still get the message "unable to edit with Affinity..."

Does anyone know if AP have acknowledged that Affinity Develop does not work - for some of us at least - with RAW and identified this as a bug to be fixed? As far as I can see from perusing the various bug threads, several of us have mentioned this but there has been no feedback from AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2019 at 3:58 AM, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
Thank you for your report. As you pointed out we are already aware of this issue however we weren't yet able to fix it. The dev teams are working as fast as they can but as you may guess there's various issues to go through after major updates in various platforms and a new application release like we did. Please bear with use while we work to fix/stabilise the apps. I've bumped our report to bring this to devs attention again.

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

It is NOT working for me. When I go to System Preferences->Security and Privacy->Privacy->Photos, I do NOT see Affinity there, so I am not able to save back to Photos. How do I get the plugin to work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jcinaz said:

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

As many have posted, this is hit or miss, a miss for me.  I can export>share, not save.


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, once again, using the Catalina 10.15.5 Apple Photos extension to edit in Affinity Photo (AF) 1.8.3 (purchased through Apple App Store) is broken. This was broken in Catalina 10.15; fixed (for me) in 10.15.4; now broken again in 10.15.5. Doesn't matter if I right click and choose the "Edit In…" command, or enter Apple Photos' edit mode, and use the extension. Doesn't matter if the image is a JPG or HEIC (both worked in 10.15.4). Rebuilt Photos library; unchecked and re-checked all AF extension in System Preferences; AF does NOT show up in System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy > Photos. Once again, at a loss and frustrated.

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 10.01.51 PM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point in time I believe this thread should be closed by moderator with statement from Serif concerning current status of fix.  244+1 post, several updates, no mention of fix.  Beyond frustration for those that use iCloud.


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.