You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

49 minutes ago, SteveB523 said:

Thanks for sharing that, Cecil.  It will take me some time to process that info in order to figure out how much it could help me in my mixed PC, Mac, iPad, and iPhone environment. Obviously, Apple is making the Photos app better every year.

I’m guessing the next OS upgrade will add to the features as well as photo editing.  Catalina took a lot of bashing; however, software developers had sufficient time to build their product.  Some did, some didn’t and some are still swimming against the rip current.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 hour ago, SteveB523 said:

Thanks for sharing that, Cecil.  It will take me some time to process that info in order to figure out how much it could help me in my mixed PC, Mac, iPad, and iPhone environment. Obviously, Apple is making the Photos app better every year.

I don’t think most, hard fact to prove, are stamping their feet, concerning Apple Photos, Catalina, and AP.  As I cannot provide a date Serif was provide Catalina build before release, I suggest the time frame is approaching 12+ months.  Catalina was released in October, yet takes the blame for all problems.  Refunding $50 and cutting out macOS users, Serif IMHO, would take substantial social marketing and economic backlash. It’s not the end of the world for me, frustrating that if they do have a fix, release macOS patch.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Regarding Apple's Photos, my personal opinion is that while there is a lot of like about it, there are still many ways in which it's inferior to iPhoto and there are some basic features it still doesn't have that iPhoto had for years. I finally had to give up iPhoto a little over a year ago and still miss it. For instance, I have to use a third-party script to auto name and number photos, something iPhoto did from day one. Apple is not interested it adding that back in, and I've reported on it many times.

I see very little new features added from year to year. iPhoto seemed to get a lot more attention back when it was not bundled with the OS. It seems like every year they change or add more ways to view/browse photos while ignoring other areas that need improving. I still think the interface is lacking and less streamlined than iPhoto. I hate the "back" button.

P.S. I don't use the editing extension but can understand the frustration. However I agree that some people keep stomping their feet and throwing digital hissy fits claiming Serif is not listening blah blah blah when clearly they are, and have stated the fix will arrive in version 1.8. Just be patient. Or find something else.

42 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Or find something else.

Companies fail if their customers take that approach.  Companies respond to each individual that purchases their product with open ears.  No product was acceptable for Steve Jobs.

Cecil 

Guys, with all due respect, I can’t believe we are still discussing this. I bought this product because it’s advertising note stated among the other key points in plain English that it seamlessly integrates with Apple Photos. It’s my way of storing my memories and I’m free to choose it. Serif said they got me covered with this one and then let it all break loose. Refunding our 50$? Sounds good, why not? The product doesn’t work as marketed, so would be a nice move. 

42 minutes ago, alexanderre said:

Guys, with all due respect, I can’t believe we are still discussing this. I bought this product because it’s advertising note stated among the other key points in plain English that it seamlessly integrates with Apple Photos. It’s my way of storing my memories and I’m free to choose it. Serif said they got me covered with this one and then let it all break loose. Refunding our 50$? Sounds good, why not? The product doesn’t work as marketed, so would be a nice move. 

My workaround for edits that will not be saved in AP format:  Make my edits, File, share via iMessage to myself, open iMessage and Save to Apple Photos.  

The tread will continue or new one started until a fix is applied.  I really don’t know if anyone has requested and Serif refused their refund request.  

Cecil 

Cecil mentioned something that bears a little more attention: the iPad version of Affinity integrates perfectly well with Apple Photos. One can open images from Photos into Affinity and can export jpgs and png files directly back into Photos from the export page.  Files in Affinity format can be saved easily to iCloud, as can exported files in any format.

For that matter, iCloud on my PC permits me to upload and download jpgs and pngs to Apple Photos.

The new Files app on the iPad provided by Apple permits one to move files among multiple cloud services, including Google Drive, iCloud, Box, DropBox, and OneDrive. It also connects to my PC and can share files with it over an SMB connection as long as I’m connected to my home wireless router. But you know what Files can’t do? It can’t allow you access to the Apple Photos library.

My points are these: Affinity clearly wants all of its software to integrate with Apple Photos; otherwise, they wouldn’t have included that’d feature in the iOS version of,their software and I’m earlier versions of the Mac version.

Apple, by contrast, clearly does not intend for the file structure of Apple Photos to be accessible to users. One has to dig pretty deeply to find where in the Library the Photos files are stored on a Mac, and finding an individual photo (or its real file name) is next to impossible.

Apple’s approach leaves developers like Affinity completely at the mercy of the APIs they publish, which we’re causing Affinity some issues even before Catalina was released. Catalina’s release caused even more issues, and not just for Serif.  For example, Catalina completely broke my virus checker, and it took them weeks to release a version that works under Catalina. Cecil’s assumption that all developers had a solid version of Catalina for a year to test against runs counter to everything I’ve ever heard about Apple releases. Affinity intends to fix this problem in Version 1.8. There is already a beta version of 1.8 for the Windows environment.  Obviously, it’s in Serif’s interest to use the same code base between operating systems to the maximum extent possible so that all versions provide the same feature set.

The fact that Apple’s own Files application doesn’t integrate with Photos indicates to me that such an integration isn’t easy or trivial, so it doesn’t surprise me that Affinity May take a while to fix it properly. When they do get it fixed and release a non-beta version of 1.8, will it stay fixed? Seems to me that’s as much or more up to Apple as it is Serif. Photos changes significantly with every release of Apple’s operating systems, so its APIs change as well, and those changes may or may not turn out to be easily accommodated in Serif’s products. 

My original point is that this problem only affects a subset of Affinity Photo users - that is, those who are attempting to use Apple Photos as their primary DAM (which it clearly isn’t, at least yet) and who only use the Mac version and who don’t have access to either a PC or an iOS device. Serif is working on an iOS version of Publisher and is also working on version 1.8 of its products for all platforms, which involves fixing other bugs and adding new features.

It seems selfish and unrealistic to expect Serif to drop everything else its developers are working on to fix one issue that a small subset of users is finding at worst inconvenient..

And some seem to be misinterpreting my comment about refunds.  It’s not that I think anyone is entitled to a refund because one function of hundreds quits working temporarily while Serif deals with issues cussed by Apple migrating to a new OS (ask Adobe how much fun they’re having with that). My point was that some individuals are acting so unreasonably on this forum that It wouldn’t surprise me if Serif didn’t just pay to get rid of them by permanently revoking their licenses. Come to think of it, other forum members might consider taking up a collection for this very purpose.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:23 AM, MEB said:

Hi andyandy3,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Both issues - the Edit with command and the Edit in Affinity Photo extension - should be fixed in the next Photo 1.8 Beta which will be out as soon as it's ready.

Regarding your issue with the extension and assuming you are working with macOS Mojave or older (we know the extension doesn't work in macOS Catalina), have you moved or renamed the Affinity Photo app file from the root of the Applications folder to somewhere else? If so please undo these changes and try the extension again.

Hi, thanks for your followup. I didn't get an email notification, so I apologize for the delay. I'm actually on Catalina...I didn't notice the bug when using Mojave over the last year. And no, I have never moved the photo app out of the root/applications folder or anywhere. 

12 minutes ago, Andy Duffy said:

Does anyone know how long Serif give their betas before their main release?

There is no set period of time. They are released when they're ready: all features implemented, the bugs fixed that they want to fix.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, mille19 said:

Beta 1.8 just released and no mention of this being fixed :-(

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Herbjul said:

No more Problems with RAW or JPG. And even shorter loading and saving times 

@Herbjul have you successfully, macOS Catalina, opened, edited Apple Photo and saved changes back to Apple Photos?

Cecil 

• Staff

Hi Cecil,
If you don't feel comfortable installing the Beta (and that's totally OK) don't do it (or at least not yet). Although there was improvements and it may be working for some users, there's still a few issues we are looking into which we hope to solve/fix during the Beta. Give it some more time until things get stabilized.

@fatihayoglu and Cecil.

Be aware that when you use the "Right-click edit with" option in Photos it will always sent a 8bit jpeg to the editor. So for RAW-edits this is not an ideal route to go. That is not a fault of Affinity, but a limitation in Apple Photos.

When I have some extra time next few days I will instal the Beta 1.8 and see what I can find using the extensions from Affinity.

Hello Andy,
You don’t need a product key to run the beta versions but you will need to have a purchased copy of AP,  whether from Serif or from Apple's App store, in the top level of your Applications folder.
If you have AP in any sub folder in Applications or in another location on your system entirely this will trigger the window asking for a product key when trying to launch the beta.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

38 minutes ago, markw said:

Hello Andy,
You don’t need a product key to run the beta versions but you will need to have a purchased copy of AP,  whether from Serif or from Apple's App store, in the top level of your Applications folder.
If you have AP in any sub folder in Applications or in another location on your system entirely this will trigger the window asking for a product key when trying to launch the beta.

Hi Mark

I have both in the top level applications folder and as you can see from the screenshot you can see both applications and the product key request.image.thumb.png.b8d8589acc01847e02228e8f1acbc829.png

Any ideas?

Andy

I installed the Beta on my Mac and tested the integration with Photos.  Here's what I found:

PS: I have a MacBook Air:

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 1.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

I was, in fact, able to open files from Apple Photos.

I'm no Mac expert, but it seems kind of strange to me where Photos shows up:  In the File/Open dialog box, it's at the Bottom, under the heading Media.  Photos is the only item in that category.

When one clicks on Photos, it opens another dialog box with 2 items at the top: Photos and PhotoBooth.

It takes awhile to populate the Photos portion (that may be because I have thousands of photos stored), but it seems to work.  Once it is populated, it shows all photos under the Photos header, plus the usual groups and albums underneath.

I also have a copy of Pixelmator; the behavior of the open dialog box in both is exactly the same. In the File/Open dialog box, Photos is at the Bottom, under the heading Media.  Photos is the only item in that category.

Both programs are a little flaky in that sometimes the Photos portion fails to populate.  Maybe I'm just impatient, but if you close the open dialog and File/Open again, it then usually works.  Again, both programs work in exactly the same way.

I was able to open multiple photos, combine them, adjust them, save the result to iCloud - and then export the result to photos.  Unlike the iPad version, there isn't a Share button on the export screen - rather, there is a new Share category at the bottom of the File menu. File/Share has 5 options: Mail, Airdrop, Messages, Add to Photos, and Set Background Image.

Again, it seems odd to open images from Photos under File/Media/Photos but save them back to Photos under File/Share/Add to Photos.  Again, however, Pixelmator implements it pretty much the same way.

I tried Add to Photos and Message - and got error messages both times (see attached). However, after clicking OK, Both worked as expected.

So, still some rough edges, as one would expect from a beta, but clearly on the right track.

Thanks, guys!