You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

• Staff

Hi andyandy3,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Both issues - the Edit with command and the Edit in Affinity Photo extension - should be fixed in the next Photo 1.8 Beta which will be out as soon as it's ready.

Regarding your issue with the extension and assuming you are working with macOS Mojave or older (we know the extension doesn't work in macOS Catalina), have you moved or renamed the Affinity Photo app file from the root of the Applications folder to somewhere else? If so please undo these changes and try the extension again.

Change and Rename Photo

-doesnt help

-Affinty exetsnion load no picture from OS X Photo 

Move Photo to somewhere else 

-doesent work

What is the latest status when the hoped-for beta will finally be released?

I suspect the Feler in the memory process of Affinty Photo. A file can be loaded and edited, but saving and overwriting the retrieved file doesn't seem to work properly.

In the folder where Affinity stores the files for caching, the old and edited versions are stored. The same goes for the Affinty document file. So far so good...
Saving and closing the tab 
Thumbnail is updated 
error message 

Slowly it gets really embarrassing. The massive bug has been around for almost 6 months and will work in beta or workarounds. 
Older versions from Timemaschine show the same problems (version 1.7.2)
Offebar has been added in the newer version 1.7.2 to 1.7.3, which causes these bugs and they still exists

Interesting that I just talked to Creative Media at Apple Support and they state this is a third party (Serif) issue.  I'm not getting into who is correct, Apple or Serif; however, as all my work is Photos App based, I do hope the problem is resolved.  Apple was connected to my iMac as I walked through the process and stated they would research and email any information on the subject.  I have the survey held in file, pending their reply.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:58 PM, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
Thank you for your report. As you pointed out we are already aware of this issue however we weren't yet able to fix it. The dev teams are working as fast as they can but as you may guess there's various issues to go through after major updates in various platforms and a new application release like we did. Please bear with use while we work to fix/stabilise the apps. I've bumped our report to bring this to devs attention again.

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

I'm having the same problem as henryb. I tried your workaround but it does not work. An error box pops up saying Unable to Save Changes for "Edit in Affinity Photo"

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.47.31 pm.png

• Staff

Hi Peter Pickering, mille19,
After the latest macOS update (Catalina) both methods stopped working. The extension method still works for most users in Mojave and older macOS versions.
Both issues/bugs should be fixed in the upcoming Affinity Photo 1.8.

20 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Peter Pickering, mille19,
After the latest macOS update (Catalina) both methods stopped working. The extension method still works for most users in Mojave and older macOS versions.
Both issues/bugs should be fixed in the upcoming Affinity Photo 1.8.

Excuse me but when will that happen in a week, months?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi alexanderre, mille19,
As said previously this should be fixed in the upcoming v1.8 Beta. Unfortunately it's not ready for release yet - it contains new features and improvements that are still being worked on as well, sorry.

Hi MEB

It really would have been good to release a hot fix just to fix this issue. I have spent literally years deciding which photo editing program to stick with and I chose AP for editing and Photos for organising. But this issue has been around for a REALLY long time and it still hasn't been fixed. I have worked in I.T. management for over 16 years and have never been won over on a "it's fixed in the upcoming Beta". If you've fixed it, RELEASE IT! You have 6 pages of people asking for help with this bug going back 6 months you must have a schedule for production release of 1.8, can you share it as I think your loyal customers and AP evangelists deserve better?

12 hours ago, Andy Duffy said:

...release a hot fix just to fix this issue. ... If you've fixed it, RELEASE IT! You have 6 pages of people asking for help with this bug going back 6 months you must have a schedule for production release of 1.8, can you share it as I think your loyal customers and AP evangelists deserve better?

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.!!! It's CRAZY that we've been unable to work properly on AP since JUNE 2019 (!!!!) and all we are getting is hints on a beta release, that "should" (not "WILL"...) fix AP's bug, at an unknown future date, and we will get new features with it... Like, seriously?? Release any new features you want, when you can, in order to remain competitive in the market. That's great. But we have been SERIOUSLY put back by this bug of yours for HALF A YEAR (in 10 days it will be a new DECADE for crying out loud) and still no fix!! If you have fixed it release it NOW. Please. Please. Please. Give us the new features LATER - that's not what's URGENT....

• Staff

Hi Andy Duffy, henryb,
I understand your frustration and i wish i could do better to help but i can only pass the information i have, and as of now, the only thing i know is that this bug was marked as fixed for v1.8. I don't have an internal Beta yet to check if there's still issues or not and despite being repeating myself quite a few times in this thread i struggle when i see people bringing this up and no replies given - even a not very satisfying one as mine. All developers, support and QA teams follow/read this thread and are all well aware of the complaints/issues brought up by you and other users - if they didn't provide any additional information it's because there isn't much to add to what was already said at this point. It's not up to me to decide what/when or how the patch/fix will be released. I've bought up the issue quite a few times and keep bumping it (as well as my other colleagues) in the hope things get solved as quick as possible and that is all i can do. I'm sorry for the delay and inconvenience this is causing you all. I hope to have better/concise news in a couple weeks.

Not sure if anyone is still at the office or if you have all gone home for the holidays?  I was hoping that we may have found a solution to this problem under the Christmas tree but it appears we need to wait for the next update :-(.  Big picture, Affinity is still a wonderful suite of apps that are incredibly well priced and powerful.Hats off to everyone who made them possible!  Wishing you all a wonderful holiday and wishing you all the best for 2020.

3 hours ago, Designer123 said:

Not sure if anyone is still at the office or if you have all gone home for the holidays?  I was hoping that we may have found a solution to this problem under the Christmas tree but it appears we need to wait for the next update :-(.  Big picture, Affinity is still a wonderful suite of apps that are incredibly well priced and powerful.Hats off to everyone who made them possible!  Wishing you all a wonderful holiday and wishing you all the best for 2020.

Designer123

I have just emailed affinity@serif.com letting them know how I feel in a way that is less public. I really don't want to move to another product as AF sits just in the right position for my requirements and price, but I feel tempted to join the bandwagon and look at something else. Lets hope we get a resolution soon.

I have been working in IT for 45 years and have learned that one of the most important rule for successful keeping satisfied customers is: If you have problems that cause serious customer problems, solve them as soon as possible. It's a really bad idea to keep them waiting for several months.

Why don't they release version 1.7.4 as soon as possible, which fixes the bug only? Why must everyone wait for version 1.8? Serif has a good product and a good reputation, I don't understand why they are putting it at risk.

I worked 36 years in the IT industry.  I'm now retired, but one thing I did learn when dealing with software developers and companies.  There are always 3 versions of the software they talk about, the last version, the current version and the next version.  The next version will always fix all of you problems.

2 hours ago, PeWo said:

It's a really bad idea to keep them waiting for several months.

Yep, better for years: The problems with Expand Stroke exist since … years … and … no fix for Mac users before the holiday closure.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how I got around this problem huge issue for me as I use my Mac almost only for photo editing 

click to edit photo once in editing I chose external editor in the three dotted icon save in external editor I will take you back to photos chose external editor again photo should go to affinity edit photo close to save it will ask if you want flatted pic choose  that your  photo will appear back in external editor as you edited it save changes your photo should go back into Mac photos as u edited it in affinity this process is a bit of a pain in a......s not good for work flow but at lease in I can edit my photos and save to my library hope this help somebody I think it has to do with the flattening of the photos but not sure

Edited by mark golding

On 6/30/2019 at 2:42 AM, henryb said:

You used to be able to right-click on a photo in Mac OS's Photos app, select "edit with... Affinity Photo", make your edits in AP, press Save and FINITO, the edited/fixed file was directly saved into its original location in Mac OS Photos. Seamlessly, simply and FAST. Now this is no longer possible!! 

I know this is a bug you have been aware of for over a month, but as we still have no feedback, I thought that writing it in the appropriate section would help AP's developers speed this CRUCIAL fix up ASAP (by reminding them)!

Dear Developers please hurry! One of the main reasons we love Affinity is because of its ability to work flawlessly & seamlessly with Mac OS. 

Ok... In June, OF THE PREVIOUS DECADE (!!), Affinity knew about this a month before and they were not able to fix this bug of theirs which, essentially, ZEROES THEIR APP'S MAIN ADVANTAGE/SELLING POINT WHICH WAS COMPATIBILITY + FLAWLESS COLLABORATION WITH MAC OS'S PHOTOS APP. So this has not been able to be fixed since MAY 2019??? Seriously??

I wish I was happy about my original post being the most viewed, and most commented on, post on the ENTIRE AFFINITY FORUM.. Yeeehhhhyyy popularity!! :( :( :( I mean, if I owned Affinity I wouldn't let anyone in my company sleep until they had fixed this with SOO many people in trouble with it!!. I am now beginning to think that Affinity either just doesn't care about the most "popular" bug topic they have, or they actually DON'T WANT TO FIX IT (maybe are in some kind of contretemps with Apple and they are using this issue as a "reason" to walk out on the collaboration through the back door...). Or maybe it's the other way 'round and Apple is the culprit. But one thing is for CERTAIN: Your customers are SIMPLY not getting what they've purchased. We, the customers DON'T CARE whose fault it is. We just want what we bought to work as it promised, and as it initially did. 

I am still using Mojave - just as I was during the last May of the previous decade - so it's the same os... So why don't we just revert to whatever version of AP we were using before your software started skrewing everything up, and we can work on that now, and if you decide to release a fix to your bugs you can then let us know to download it. Hopefully by the year 2050. 

Excuse the sarcasm, but I prefer it to rudeness. This is just NOT FUNNY ANYMORE. 

I’ve been generally aware of the issue with Apple Photos and Affinity on the Mac for awhile now, but I just today got curious about the status of the fix that’s obviously coming and ran across this thread.

i say that the fix is obviously coming because I also have Affinity Photo running on my iPad, and it can easily export jpegs to Apple Photos - so it seems that Serif is aware that that ability is a desirable feature.

Mostly, however, I am appalled at the entitled attitude some users are demonstrating in this forum about this issue. More than a few of you have stomped your feet and threatened to abandon Affinity altogether if this issue isn’t given top priority and addressed immediately.  You should understand that threats are only effective if they’re actually carried out. After making the same threat theee of four times and you’re still here, everyone knows you’re just blowing smoke.  MEB has FAR more patience than I would under these circumstances. Personally, I’d have revoked your license, refunded your $50, and deleted your login to this forum.

Moreover, those of you who report that you have decided to use Apple Photos as your DAM - well, I’ll just say you certainly don’t have high expectations for the functionality of your DAM. At a minimum, I would expect a DAM to permit me to define my own folder structure and my own keyword tag hierarchy. I would prefer the keyword tags be written to the individual picture’s metadata (EXIF data), but I might live with an external database. Apple Photos, for all of its pluses, meet none of those requirements.  For that matter, one can’t even generally determine either the name that the photo is stored under or where it is stored.

So in my mind what a few of you are saying is that you’ve decided to use Apple Photos as something that it’s not really designed to be and you’re upset that Affinity Photos has a temporary issue that’s preventing you from doing what you want to do - and you’re unsatisfied with the speed at which Affinity is addressing the issue -,although what you want to do seems unlikely to be satisfactory in the long run.

Nevertheless, sometime in the not too distant future, there’s going to be a new version of Affinity, and Serif has apparently committed to fixing the issue in that version. When will is arrive? When they think it’s ready. Do they no yet when that will be? No.

you can either accept that in good humor OR you can find a different product. But please, do everyone else a favor and pick one of those two options. Stop with the constant bellyaching and idle threats.

Happy new year, everyone!

7 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

At a minimum, I would expect a DAM to permit me to define my own folder structure and my own keyword tag hierarchy. I would prefer the keyword tags be written to the individual picture’s metadata (EXIF data), but I might live with an external database. Apple Photos, for all of its pluses, meet none of those requirements.  For that matter, one can’t even generally determine either the name that the photo is stored under or where it is stored.

So in my mind what a few of you are saying is that you’ve decided to use Apple Photos as something that it’s not really designed to be..

you can either accept that in good humor OR you can find a different product. But please, do everyone else a favor and pick one of those two options. Stop with the constant bellyaching and idle threats.

Happy new year, everyone!

@ SteveB523

In general I can agree your observations, except for your opinion about Apple Photo's. You can define an own folder structure, you can ad Keywords to your own like, The metadata is exported as exif- and iptc-data (which is rather as it should be).But I guess you figured that out already.  I can see though that Apple photo's is not designed for or targeted at professional photography or for everybody depending on their needs or likes. Apple Photo's is designed to work with external extensions..(with some limitations). Even Affinity proves that , next to a number of other professional editors, as 5 of their 7 extension work fine today, and certainly the retouch extension has a wealth of possibilities. All 7 worked in previous versions.

So yes, I believe strongly that they will solve the issue (as other vendors already did). In the mean time I can use the majority of their extensions, and when I change my workflow a bit, also the "edit in Affinity Photo" and use that to its full extend. (At the same time a bit more speed to solve the issue would have been nice -;)).

My 2 cents, and yes: Happy new year to you too (and all the others of course).

10 hours ago, SteveB523 said:

At a minimum, I would expect a DAM to permit me to define my own folder structure and my own keyword tag hierarchy. I would prefer the keyword tags be written to the individual picture’s metadata (EXIF data), but I might live with an external database. Apple Photos, for all of its pluses, meet none of those requirements.  For that matter, one can’t even generally determine either the name that the photo is stored under or where it is stored.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection