You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

On 11/11/2019 at 6:49 PM, Hugo Habicht said:

Dear all,

My work around for raw files is as follows:

- Export the raw files from Photos as unmodified originals to a folder on desktop

- Edit them in AP,  export as jpeg in another folder on the desktop

- Back in Photos, choose edit with "External Editors for Photos" (from the App Store)

- Choose "Replace with File" (bottom right in window), choose the appropriate jpeg and click "Save changes"

Works quite well an fast if you first edit a bunch of pictures in AP and then "import" it back to Photos one after the other. I hope, this procedure will be of use for the one or the other

Thanks for the suggestion, but none of us want to be trying "workarounds", nor any other alchemies. We shouldn't have to. Affinity Photo should JUST WORK FLAWLESSLY WITH PHOTOS. That's why we bought it. 

The bug in Affinity Photo appeared in June 2019, and we are now approaching the next decade and no feedback from Serif / Afiinity other than a vague "we're working on it" (which could mean anything really).... Dear Serif please tell us what AP version we can revert to so that we can work as we did, and how we can do this. It's NOT "Catalina" that's at fault - I'm using Mojave and since June it hasn't been working there either - it's Affinity Photo's bug. So tell us how to install an older version of AP that WILL work until your developers decide to fix your bug (in their own good time - as it seems).

Please excuse my last comment, but it's been nearly HALF A YEAR that we've all been waiting for you to fix your own bug and deliver a working AP version, and so far ZILCH. (And we don't want to be trying "workarounds", nor any other alchemies. We shouldn't have to.)

8 hours ago, henryb said:

The bug in Affinity Photo appeared in June 2019, and we are now approaching the next decade and no feedback from Serif / Afiinity other than a vague "we're working on it" (which could mean anything really).... 

Dude, have you even read this whole thread? Look a couple of posts higher up and you're given more than a "vague response."

Please hold tight. We hope to have some news regarding this issue soon.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Dude, have you even read this whole thread? Look a couple of posts higher up and you're given more than a "vague response."

“Dude”, I’m the one who started this thread… And yes, I have been following it throughout. And, again, all we have been getting so far are - exactly – “vague responses”. A vague response is “we are working on it“. This response, essentially, has been recycled over the last 5 months (!!) since June.
A clear response, on the other hand, would have been, for example, “Our developers have been working on it feverishly since June, and we hereby inform you that the bug in our software to be fixed by ?/?/19”. Or, another example of a clear response would be “our developers have been working on our bug since June, but regrettably, they are still unable to fix it because the problem lies in the issues x y z which have been the reason for the delay“.
A vague ”We are working on it“ says absolutely nothing with regards to the ETA of the functional release (especially when we are approaching December - and in six weeks we will be in a different decade of when the problem first occurred and has yet to be fixed). And all us customers of serif who have purchased the affinity photo app so that we can directly edit from our Mac photos app – because that’s the reason most of us purchased it since it is meant to work flawlessly with the Mac photos app - have been on hold since June. Maybe you are a casual user of this app, or maybe your photos are not stored in your Mac’s photos app, but if you did you would understand that your entire workflow has been put on hold for five months! So, no, that’s not good enough. And, no, experimenting with “workarounds“ would just not be acceptable for such an insanely long time, and you would expect something more than just “we are working on it“ by now.

I am also having this same problem.  It's a real bummer because I just bought AP last month and then last week I downloaded the Catalina OS update.  If I would have known about this problem I either wouldn't have bought AP or I wouldn't have downloaded Catalina.  I imagine this is more Apple's fault than AP but still, this functionality is the main selling point of their product (at least for me).  

@ mille 19

Does LR save directly to Photo’s ? Or can you even fire up LR directly from with in Photo’s (and I mean without the right-click feature in Photo’s but opening RAW directly from Photo's to Affinity). If not you might still be better off with Affinity. 

4 hours ago, MacGB said:

@ mille 19

Does LR save directly to Photo’s ? Or can you even fire up LR directly from with in Photo’s (and I mean without the right-click feature in Photo’s but opening RAW directly from Photo's to Affinity). If not you might still be better off with Affinity. 

MacGB
I just wanted to get away from the Adobe monthly subscription and was thinking of using Apple Photos for DAM and AP for editing.
So basically I'm trying to find a new workflow that is similar to what I do in LR, if Affinity could release the DAM they keep promising I'd be sorted ! :-)

On 11/19/2019 at 5:18 PM, brantC said:

I am also having this same problem.  It's a real bummer because I just bought AP last month and then last week I downloaded the Catalina OS update.  If I would have known about this problem I either wouldn't have bought AP or I wouldn't have downloaded Catalina.  I imagine this is more Apple's fault than AP but still, this functionality is the main selling point of their product (at least for me).  

Same problem in Mojave - so Catalina is not the problem - AP is. As for not having bought AP because of this - I guess that depends on WHEN you bought it. Meaning, if you have bought AP over the last 5 months that this bug has COMPLETELY DESTROYED OUR WORKFLOW, then yes, I would be thinking the same right now so you are right to regretting you bought this app that was meant to work hand-in-hand with Mac OS & its base photos' app, Photos (except that it DOESN'T, anymore). But, if you have had it for longer, you would have had time to have appreciated the app (BECAUSE IT IS AN AMAZING APP!!) and it's flawless collaboration with Mac * Photos (as was the case until June 2019). I guess that's the downside of PURCHASING a software (which is the MAIN reason many of us chose AP over PS) as opposed to renting it... If people were renting AP and AP failed to deliver on their promises then people would rightfully unsubscribe and that would push a "knife" on AP's developers' "throats" to fix it because the company will go bust because of unsubscriptions. But right now all they have to deal with is "nagging" customers who are no longer getting what they were promised. The only "knife" right now is bad publicity that will steer potential newcomers away from AP... And that is a great pity for ALL of us. I repeat, AP is JUST AMAZING. But they have just got to get it together and fix this NOW. 

@ Brantc

It’s definitely not Apples fault. I am running at least 4 other apps with extensions that didn’t and don’t have this problem. 

@ Mille 19,

I understand what you are after. It has worked in the past, so I still hope Affinity will sort this out. And there are other Apps that you could use as DAM, the way lightroom does. I am not going to mention them in this thread, but I am sure you will find them, but with some patience Affinity might solve the issue.

10 hours ago, MacGB said:

@ Brantc

It’s definitely not Apples fault. I am running at least 4 other apps with extensions that didn’t and don’t have this problem. 

That makes no sense at all. If you are running at least 4 other apps ON APPLE'S MAC OS, and they DON'T have this problem, then - logically speaking - it's NOT Apple's fault, but AFFINITY'S (since, according to your findings, it's ONLY AFFINITY THAT HAS THE PROBLEM...). If it was Apple's fault, then you wouldn't be able to run the other apps either... 

As there are a lot of threads about Photo v Photos now maybe some have missed this post by Patrick C yesterday offering perhaps a glimmer of hope:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/99897-unable-to-edit-in-affinity-photo-from-apple-photos/&do=findComment&comment=549783

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I've just been having a play with the Affinity Retouch plug-in that still works with Apple Photos and must say that if Affinity can get the other plug-ins fixed it's just what I've been looking for, so I can break from the Adobe subscription...........happy days ( I hope !! )  :D

Edited by mille19

Can affinity keep us informed as to when this problem will be fixed. I have mentioned this problem in the Affinity group on Face Book and it appears we're not alone but it also appears others are not having any problems. 

we've paid for Affinity photo but would have thought how as the magazine IMAC FORMAT plugged Affinity a lot that such a site as Affinity would try and keep up. All were asking is simple really " give us an update and possibly a time frame as to when this will be resolved.

On 7/1/2019 at 3:58 AM, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
Thank you for your report. As you pointed out we are already aware of this issue however we weren't yet able to fix it. The dev teams are working as fast as they can but as you may guess there's various issues to go through after major updates in various platforms and a new application release like we did. Please bear with use while we work to fix/stabilise the apps. I've bumped our report to bring this to devs attention again.

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

This is the workflow I tried many times but it does not save back to Photos for me. I also tried de-selecting the Affinity extensions, closing photos then re-selecting them...still can't save. Is there a timeline for the fix?