You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

• Staff
22 hours ago, fatihayoglu said:

Edit in Affinity on the right corner works but it is a longer process when the right click edit with is there already...

BTW, I have deleted AP, full clean, then reinstalled, same story. Right click a photo in Apple Photos, choose edit with. The edits you do in AP does not transfer back to Apple photos.

However if you double click on a photo, choose edit on top right and from extensions choose Edit in Affinity Photo, that works but again this is a long way to do...

Hi fatihayoglu,
This is a known issue that's already logged to be looked at (Edit with). The use of the extension as an alternative was just a workaround until we get the issue fixed.

I am able to use the extension "edit in Affinity Photo", I can make changes, they are saved back into Photos. However when I reopen with "edit in Affinity" to continue editing, It opens up the original RAW file without the previous edits. So the history isn't saved. (I did not make any changes with Apple Photos or any other extension on the same picture). In the Beta it still has the same bug.

I reported this behaviour already in the Beta's. I was assured that it would be solved as from the first release of the official 1.7. Still no change. Very disappointed and quite useless in this way (for my workflow that is). I am running Mojave 10.4.6 and Affinity 1.7.3

Well that is helpful knowledge. I was today doing just that open in Photos transform some vertical and save. Expecting to see the change in Affinity.

At least I know what I need to do now and also be patient and wait till fixed

This error message is REAL PAIN and will force me to abandon Affinity Photo unless it is fixed soon

"Unable to Save Changes for “Edit in Affinity Photo”"

I'm on the public release of Catalina and have done a completely fresh install of Affinity Photo V1.73

It used to be so simple to switch back and forth between macOS Photos and Affinity Photo in v1.67. Since the release of v1.7 it as never worked.

PLEASE SORT THIS OUT AFTER SO MANY MONTHS !!!!

On 6/30/2019 at 2:42 AM, henryb said:

You used to be able to right-click on a photo in Mac OS's Photos app, select "edit with... Affinity Photo", make your edits in AP, press Save and FINITO, the edited/fixed file was directly saved into its original location in Mac OS Photos. Seamlessly, simply and FAST. Now this is no longer possible!! 

I know this is a bug you have been aware of for over a month, but as we still have no feedback, I thought that writing it in the appropriate section would help AP's developers speed this CRUCIAL fix up ASAP (by reminding them)!

Dear Developers please hurry! One of the main reasons we love Affinity is because of its ability to work flawlessly & seamlessly with Mac OS. 

Dear Affinity, this bug has been around since JUNE 2019 (and maybe even earlier - but that's when I noticed it!)... See date of first post about your bug: 

When EXACTLY are you going to release a fix?? We are now in October 2019 - and slowly approaching the year 2020 - and still no feedback (or update on you "working feverishly" to fix this)... We bought the Affinity software exactly because it promised to work flawlessly, and hand-in-hand, with Mac OS and it's base photos application (Photos) where everything is stored before editing with your software, and will continue to  be, after the edit/s with your software... Please be so kind as to reply to all of us waiting for this fix! 

On 10/3/2019 at 8:46 PM, MacGB said:

I am able to use the extension "edit in Affinity Photo", I can make changes, they are saved back into Photos. However when I reopen with "edit in Affinity" to continue editing, It opens up the original RAW file without the previous edits. So the history isn't saved. (I did not make any changes with Apple Photos or any other extension on the same picture). In the Beta it still has the same bug.

I reported this behaviour already in the Beta's. I was assured that it would be solved as from the first release of the official 1.7. Still no change. Very disappointed and quite useless in this way (for my workflow that is). I am running Mojave 10.4.6 and Affinity 1.7.3

same here...

Using official Catalina (10.15) since yesterday. Using the extension "edit in Affinity Photo" opens up the file, but upon saving get indeed the message " Unable to Save Changes for “Edit in Affinity Photo”.

Dito with the extension Develop (old bug). The other extensions work ok.

1 hour ago, MacGB said:

The "develop" extension works fine with jpeg, but not RAW,

The "edit in Affinity Photo" is not able to save back to Apple photo's, not for RAW and not for jpeg.

to say that something "works", means it works for every format. If it doesn't work for everything, then it simply "does NOT work". And, since JUNE, Serif / Affinity has not even bothered telling it's customers when this SERIOUS bug in their product will be fixed... (It's "serious" because THOUSANDS of customers, such as myself, have bought Affinity products EXACTLY BECAUSE they advertised that they work FLAWLESSLY with Mac OS and its BASE photos' app/system: Photos. So as long as this is not fixed, Affinity is simply not giving us what they promised / keeping their end of the purchase deal.)

***And, don't get me wrong - I LOVE the Affinity software so far. It's just that this is not a "little glitch" that "should be fixed soon". It is a MAJOR flaw. So, for me, it's CRAZY that this hasn't been fixed after MONTHS of failure!!

9 hours ago, HenkeJ said:

An official update on this would be nice.

It would have been "nice" back in JUNE when this started happening... Now it's just "MONTHS LATE". I don't know what Serif / Affinity is doing and not positioning themselves with this bug of theirs. This forum is meant to be their developers' "hangout" (not hideout lol). But seriously, Affinity?... We LOVE your products, but is this silence going to be the way to deal with problems when they arise (problems occur with Adobe too, no one is perfect)?? No one is expecting ZERO problems - it's about how fast / professionally you fix them that matters!

8 hours ago, plattis said:

Just wanted to chime in here. Same problem - not possible to save edits from Affinity Photo back to Photos App. Breaks my workflow! Please update us on when we can expect a fix, or if this is "Appple's fault.

It can't be "Apple's fault" lol - it's Affinity Photo that was made for (and sold to us as) working flawlessly & hand-in-hand with Mac OS and its BASE photos' app/system: Photos. Not the other way 'round... (If Mac OS was marketed/sold to us as working flawlessly with Affinity - and it stopped doing so after we bought it - then it would be Apple's fault. But the situation is in reverse). 

So as long as this is not fixed, Affinity is simply not giving us what they promised / keeping their end of the purchase deal. We have all been waiting for Serif to fix their Affinity Photos's bug since June 2019 (!!!). So far, radio-silence... 

Right clicking on the thumbnail and choosing edit with Affinity Photo has never worked for me, have always maximised the photo, chosen edit then chosen Edit in Affinity Photo. Up until moving to Catalina it has worked. Now I find that if I have a photo that is 720x490px I can increase the size to 1469x1000 it will save, but resizing it to 2204x1500 will not, it gives the error 'unable to edit with "Edit in Affinity Photo" an unexpected error occurred." I have removed the external editors via the manage option and re-added, but still the error.

Edited by Dizzypole

On 10/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, Dizzypole said:

Right clicking on the thumbnail and choosing edit with Affinity Photo has never worked for me, have always maximised the photo, chosen edit then chosen Edit in Affinity Photo. Up until moving to Catalina it has worked. Now I find that if I have a photo that is 720x490px I can increase the size to 1469x1000 it will save, but resizing it to 2204x1500 will not, it gives the error 'unable to edit with "Edit in Affinity Photo" an unexpected error occurred." I have removed the external editors via the manage option and re-added, but still the error.

It used to work for me (and most people) up until June. Following an update, it just stopped. We've all been waiting for Serif / Affinity (or, at least, their developers) to jump in here and make an announcement about what they are doing about it, but, as you can clearly see in this thread that's monitored by them - ZILCH! We would all have very much appreciated an official reply from them (ANY REPLY - EVEN if it's that they CANNOT FIX THIS BUG, or that THEY ARE ACTIVELY WORKING ON IT). But nothing... All these months. 

Very very very disappointed with Affinity. Although, I LOVE their software and think that they can be #1 in a few years (if they keep innovating), this incident that has lasted for so many months, ALONE, has made me feel very insecure as to how they would deal with future problems, when professionals will be DEPENDENT on Affinity & its support/problem-solving...

MEB process will open image for me (Catalina) however, Save command will not save to Apple Photos.  A copy is saved in Pictures folder.  I discovered this with macOS Finder.  I can  Export to my internal//external drive.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

On 7/1/2019 at 6:58 AM, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
Thank you for your report. As you pointed out we are already aware of this issue however we weren't yet able to fix it. The dev teams are working as fast as they can but as you may guess there's various issues to go through after major updates in various platforms and a new application release like we did. Please bear with use while we work to fix/stabilise the apps. I've bumped our report to bring this to devs attention again.

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

Actually, it didn't work that way.  I clicked Edit in the upper right.  Then selected edit in Affinity Photo from the 3 ellipsis.  When I saved the photo in Affinity and returned to Photos and clicked on "save changes" I got the error that it could not be done (same error everyone else is reporting).

I was, fortunately, able to revert to Mojave (took a couple hours to copy my clone drive back to my primary boot drive).  However, would like to take advantage of tools like sidecar as soon as possible but can't until we get this fixed.  Any ETA? 

Thanks,

Jeff

Mine used to work until I finally switched to Catalina a couple of days ago. Since this looks like some have had this problem longer and Affinity is not responding it might be time to find something else. Pixelmator might be a viable solution worth looking at. Not sure if it has all the features that Affinity has but I’ve never used all of its capabilities. Affinity used to be a good alternative to adobe products but if it’s not going to work then it isn’t even the bad photos alternative that comes with Mac 

• Staff

Hi all,
There's two ways to send the files directly from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo (without using third party extensions):

1. Using the command Image > Edit With > Affinity Photo (or right-clicking the image or thumbnail - depending on your view mode - and selecting Edit With > Affinity Photo). This one doesn't work neither in Mojave nor Catalina and it's already logged to be looked at.

2. Using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension (clicking the Edit button on the top right of the interface - when seeing a single image, not the thumbnails view -, then the ellipsis button and finally selecting Edit in Affinity Photo. This method works in Mojave (for most users) but is now apparently broken in Catalina too. We are investigating this and will update this thread as soon as we have some news.

It’s it time for Affinity Photo to allow macOS users an option to Save/Save as to a designated folder of choice?  Export you can select numerous formats, why can we not have this same workflow to Save/Save As to maintain afphotos format?  It is clear macOS users are not able to save to Apple Photos, even using workaround, Edit in Affinity Photos.

A simple post, from Serif, stating that macOS users (suspect Catalina) should be advised that is a problem and fix will be released in  version1.7.? or until advise, not to use Apple Photos if one requires Saving in Apple Photos.  Information is paramount in keeping customers informed and preventing repeated threads outlining same problem(s).

I would prefer a choice, similar to Export function, offering a pre designated Save/Save as folder and/or option to select users folder of choice selection to Save/Save, even/after problem is fixed.  Designated a Save folder in: pop up window or preferences, Folder of choice or Apple Photos.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

On 10/16/2019 at 6:10 AM, MEB said:

Hi all,
There's two ways to send the files directly from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo (without using third party extensions):

1. Using the command Image > Edit With > Affinity Photo (or right-clicking the image or thumbnail - depending on your view mode - and selecting Edit With > Affinity Photo). This one doesn't work neither in Mojave nor Catalina and it's already logged to be looked at.

2. Using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension (clicking the Edit button on the top right of the interface - when seeing a single image, not the thumbnails view -, then the ellipsis button and finally selecting Edit in Affinity Photo. This method works in Mojave (for most users) but is now apparently broken in Catalina too. We are investigating this and will update this thread as soon as we have some news.

MEB, consider redo: provide users in AP Preferences or if not preselected in Preferences, a pop up menu allowing users to designate folder for Save/Save apphoto format.  Users would know or could change designated folder and of choice by specific project. Thank you, as always, for your guidance.  

Cecil 

On 10/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, MEB said:

Hi all,

As all that you mention here has been known since June 2019, but nothing has been fixed till today, can you tell us whether this will be fixed in the next update? And, if yes, when this update be available?

)