You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

You used to be able to right-click on a photo in Mac OS's Photos app, select "edit with... Affinity Photo", make your edits in AP, press Save and FINITO, the edited/fixed file was directly saved into its original location in Mac OS Photos. Seamlessly, simply and FAST. Now this is no longer possible!! 

I know this is a bug you have been aware of for over a month, but as we still have no feedback, I thought that writing it in the appropriate section would help AP's developers speed this CRUCIAL fix up ASAP (by reminding them)!

Dear Developers please hurry! One of the main reasons we love Affinity is because of its ability to work flawlessly & seamlessly with Mac OS. 

• Staff

Hi henryb,
Thank you for your report. As you pointed out we are already aware of this issue however we weren't yet able to fix it. The dev teams are working as fast as they can but as you may guess there's various issues to go through after major updates in various platforms and a new application release like we did. Please bear with use while we work to fix/stabilise the apps. I've bumped our report to bring this to devs attention again.

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
Thank you for your report. As you pointed out we are already aware of this issue however we weren't yet able to fix it. The dev teams are working as fast as they can but as you may guess there's various issues to go through after major updates in various platforms and a new application release like we did. Please bear with use while we work to fix/stabilise the apps. I've bumped our report to bring this to devs attention again.

Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

YES! That worked!! Thanks!! :)

But strange that it works like that, though, and not in the first way..

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 5:07 PM, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
No news, sorry. That's up to the dev team - I'm sure they will look at it when possible. I've bumped the report anyway.

Hi, I this forum IS the developers' "hangout" (and that they respond here too with updates). No?

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 11:58 AM, MEB said:

... Meanwhile if instead of right-clicking the thumbnail in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo.

Sadly for some users, myself included, this method too no longer works in the latest retail version:(

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

On 9/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, henryb said:

DOESN 'T WORK FOR ME ANYMORE EITHER!! Instead of Affinity fixing the problem, now even the workaround no longer works!!

Me neither. It's not only Affinity photo that is affected though as it's the same with all the Skylum photo editing programmes.

27 minutes ago, rwakeford said:

Me neither. It's not only Affinity photo that is affected though as it's the same with all the Skylum photo editing programmes.

We have been waiting for MONTHS for the developers to let us know what is going on... HELLO DEVELOPERS?

DEAR AFFINITY DEVELOPERS!

As this forum is meant to be your "hangout" and you read all the problems customers/users are having in order to fix them, please let us know RIGHT AWAY when you will fix this HUGE BUG that your software has had over the last MONTHS. We bought AP exactly because it claimed to work flawlessly with macs and their included apps (especially Photos). Now it SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK WITH PHOTOS AND IT IS CAUSING A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH OUR WORKFLOW (we might as well have bought any 3rd party app that wasn't Mac-related...).

So please reply ASAP regarding WHEN EXACTLY you will fix this bug in your software.

Thank you. 

****EDIT!! I just discovered yesterday that, even though the most common (& easiest) method of right-clicking on image in Photos and selecting Edit In Affinity Photo still doesn't work; the other method, finally D (described below) DOES!! There must have been some kind of an issue with my Photos app (problems occur very often with open apps, when the macbook's cover is shut and reopened later and mac wakes up from sleep...). I discovered that I had to shut the Photos app down, and reopen it, and I then COULD edit and save back into Photos directly (using the workaround-method below, of course).

***So if anyone else is having the same problem I was (not even being able to use the workaround method, below), then check if this is "fixed" if you shut down Photos app and reopen it! ;)

***The workaround method = Instead of right-clicking the image (or thumbnail) in Apple Photos to invoke the context menu and pick the Edit With option; you double-click the thumbnail to display the image, click the Edit button on the top right, then the ellipsis icon and select the Edit in Affinity Photo extension, it will save your changes back to Apple Photos after you finish editing the image in Affinity Photo."

But, of course, we are still waiting for the update from the developers with when they are going to fix regular/fast right-click method that has stopped working for months!

Hi henry,
I’m really happy for you!!! :)B|
However my previous post above still stands, for some of us the link to/from Apple Photos really is broken using 'Edit In…' or 'Edit With…' :(
Editing in the full AP app just dose not work from Photos for some 1.7.2 owners. :(
'Edit In Affinity Photo' was working in the betas prior to the 1.7.2 release and I just don’t understand how they broke it in the release version. :S:(

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

On 9/18/2019 at 4:15 PM, henryb said:

check my last message in this stream - maybe this fixes it for you too! ;)

That's the way I always edited my photos anyway. However I've just tried the right click and selected edit with Affinity Photo (or Cmd+Rtn) and it works a treat thanks. Never even knew that method existed! You live and learn all the time in life, so thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, rwakeford said:

That's the way I always edited my photos anyway. However I've just tried the right click and selected edit with Affinity Photo (or Cmd+Rtn) and it works a treat thanks. Never even knew that method existed! You live and learn all the time in life, so thanks for the help.

False alarm. Neither version works ;-(

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have found the way to do it. Not sure if it works with 1.7.2 as I only tried it by luck having installed 1.7.3 last night. Select the photo you want to edit (not as thumbnail but enlarged) and click edit top right. Then the three dot edit button and I select "External Editors". You will have to have installed the free to download programme on the AppStore called "External Editors for Photos" which hasn't been upgraded for three years now but it still works. When you click on that it brings up a list of all the editors that you've allowed in System Preferences and you choose Affinity, do the edit and Save at the end and all the changes are accepted in Photos. It also works with Luminar.

Hello all,
I got the ‘Edit In Affinity Photo’ extension working again today!:)
See my post here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/58871-editing-in-ap-from-apple-photos/&do=findComment&comment=530098

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Viewfinder, fatihayoglu,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I have bumped the report again. Meanwhile have you tried using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension instead as detailed/explained in my first post on this thread?
Are you having trouble with it too?

Edit in Affinity on the right corner works but it is a longer process when the right click edit with is there already...

BTW, I have deleted AP, full clean, then reinstalled, same story. Right click a photo in Apple Photos, choose edit with. The edits you do in AP does not transfer back to Apple photos.

However if you double click on a photo, choose edit on top right and from extensions choose Edit in Affinity Photo, that works but again this is a long way to do...

21 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Viewfinder, fatihayoglu,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I have bumped the report again. Meanwhile have you tried using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension instead as detailed/explained in my first post on this thread?
Are you having trouble with it too?

Hi!

I have, but unfortunately it won't save in Photos. 

Unable to Save Changes for “Edit in Affinity Photo”

Is the message that pops up.

I am running macOS Catalina beta though.