You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AfPub 1.7.1.404] Linked images aren't updated when image file changed

I have an Affinity-file that's using another Affinity-file as a linked image inside an image placeholder. The document is set to 'prefer linked' so I told Affinity to don't embed images, but only link.

image.png.e3b580e39e35742c0b1f8da28c52e8ac.png

When I update that linked Affinity file itself though, the parent Affinity file using the linked file, doesn't update. Not even when I reload the file. Not even when I reload the software.

There is a message telling me there's a change in a linked image, but when I click on the button to show the resource manager, there's nothing in it to update.

I can't find any way to update this linked image inside the parent document without reloading the image again in the placeholder. So it doesn't have the behaviour of a linked image, but acts like an embedded image. But I might miss something here?

[edit] in the video below both tabs are different documents/'processes'. So the 'linked-file'-tab is not opened by the 'parent-file', but is a different document that happens to be open in the same interface. So there's no connection between the tabs.

12 hours ago, Friksel said:

I can't find any way to update this linked image inside the parent document without reloading the image again in the placeholder. So it doesn't have the behaviour of a linked image, but acts like an embedded image. But I might miss something here?

After you double click to open the linked document in a new tab and after you made changes you have to close the tab. This updates the linked file.

The resource manager cannot show anything in the linked file itself (open in the tab) because the linked file does not have a linked resource. If you switch back to the tab with the parent file you will see in the resource manager that it has one entry.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, dominik said:

After you double click to open the linked document in a new tab and after you made changes you have to close the tab. This updates the linked file.

The resource manager cannot show anything in the linked file itself (open in the tab) because the linked file does not have a linked resource. If you switch back to the tab with the parent file you will see in the resource manager that it has one entry.

d.

Thanks for your response and try to help. I think we're having some miscommunication here.

1) I didn't open the 'linked file' tab from within the parent, I just created a new affinity file inside the same UI, but I placed it inside the parent document with 'replace image' on a placeholder. So closing a tab wouldn't do anything, because there's no connection between the tabs here.

2) I understand the resource manager cannot show anything when on the child. But I didn't go to that resource manager; instead Affinity popped-up a message, saying there is a change detected in the child image and a button to go to the resource manager. So that should be the resource manager of the parent I go to then. And there it should show the image, but it isn't in the list.

1 minute ago, Friksel said:

That's the sparsed comment I ever had :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

3 minutes ago, dominik said:

That's the sparsed comment I ever had :)

d.

Yeah O.o   At first I thought you reacted to a different thread with almost the same thing. But than I saw it was my own thread you reacted to and had to change the text :)

I just edited the above comment /\

9 minutes ago, Friksel said:

Thanks for your response and try to help. I think we're having some miscommunication here.

1) I didn't open the 'linked file' tab from within the parent, I just created a new affinity file inside the same UI, but I placed it inside the parent document with 'replace image' on a placeholder

2) I understand the resource manager cannot show anything when on the child. But I didn't go to that resource manager; instead Affinity popped-up a message, saying there is a change detected in the child image and a button to go to the resource manager. So that should be the resource manager of the parent I go to then. And there it should show the image, but isn't.

I just tried again as you describe above. Indeed I misinterpreted your video thinking the other tab was there because you opened it via double click.

Now I have two tabs with two seperate documents. I can follow that changing (and saving) the embedded file does not update the parent file. Instead it brings up the resource manager popup and this opens the empty resource manager. I think this is some kind of bug.

What does work, though, is to switch back to the parent document, open resource manager and click on update. Does this work for you?

d.

22 minutes ago, dominik said:

I just tried again as you describe above. Indeed I misinterpreted your video thinking the other tab was there because you opened it via double click.

Now I have two tabs with two seperate documents. I can follow that changing (and saving) the embedded file does not update the parent file. Instead it brings up the resource manager popup and this opens the empty resource manager. I think this is some kind of bug.

That's why I posted this on the 'bug'-forum ;)

22 minutes ago, dominik said:

What does work, though, is to switch back to the parent document, open resource manager and click on update. Does this work for you?

d.

Thanks for helping me, I know that way it's working, but I posted this here, because of the situation that is not working as it should. So it's a bug and I reported it on this bug-forum ;)

4 minutes ago, Friksel said:

That's why I posted this on the 'bug'-forum ;)

Thanks for helping me, I know that way it's working, but I posted this here, because of the situation that is not working as it should. So it's a bug and I reported it on this bug-forum ;)

Sorry for my initial irritation/misunderstanding. So, I can confirm that it is a bug :)

Cheers,
d.