You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

Not sure if it's a bug or me not understanding how it works, but I have an unexpected behaviour when I try to add a shape (in this case it's a text frame (shape converted as a text frame) that I can add to the assets panel by "add from selection" but refuses to be added by drag and drop. The shape moves" behind" the panel instead.  All the windows (studio panels and canvas) are docked. I have even recorded a small video! :)

Maybe I misunderstood the help files though....

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

Affinity Designer/Affinity Publisher/Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom/Inkscape

The Help files do say you can drag and drop to create new Assets, but as far as I know none of the Affinity applications on Windows have ever supported that.

If I remember correctly it was reported for Designer 1.6, and simply not fixed yet. I'm not sure if it's considered a bug in the Help or in the application functions. We'll see what the Serif staff say when they have time to get to your error report.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt,
I never tried in Designer to be honest (Never really have any use to them) so I should have tried there first before asking. (I was so proud of my first screencast as well :) )
The video tutorial doesn't mention a difference between Mac and Windows neither so I assumed it was meant to be the same.

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi 4personnen,
This is a known issue on Windows. Please use the Add from selection command from the panel's menu as you have been doing.

OK,  good to know I'm not completely mad :)

Windows 10
XP pen graphic tablet

Datacolor Spyder 4

• 5 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Cannot drag objects into Assets) of the program in the latest Windows customer beta of Affinity Photo and/or Affinity Designer. This fix will also become available in the next Publisher 1.8.0 customer beta on Windows. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The 1.8.0.526 beta builds are in links at the top of these beta forum posts.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

22 minutes ago, haakoo said:

@Gabe Can we have an autocreate category ? if none exists you can try to drop but it only will zoom out the canvas.

As this is a Publisher topic, it is perhaps relevant to note that the bug is not yet fixed in Publisher; only in the Photo and Designer betas.

So if you're testing on Publisher, it doesn't matter whether you have a category or not :)

(But even in Photo or Designer, auto-create of a category would be nice. At least, in those apps, trying to drag an asset to the panel when there are no categories does not zoom or pan :) )

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, haakoo said:

?? to me it does pan the view of the canvas

Sorry; you're right. It does pan, but it may depend on the zoom level or how long one waits. But it only pans; it doesn't zoom as you first said :)

-- Walt
PC: