You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I create a new document with "transparent background" checked I get a completely white canvas.  I would expect a checkerboard.

Further, if I import a .png, I would expect to see a checkerboard background, but I see a white background.

Somewhere, I must have something set horribly wrong.

How can I see the checkerboard background in .png files and when I erase portions of a .jpg?

Thanks,

-dmd-

• Staff

Hi delpi767,

Welcome to the forums :)

What Affinity application are you using please? With 'Transparent Background' ticked when creating a document we'd certainly expect to see a checkerboard background.

Could you please provide a screenshot of your document, with the document properties window open?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks for your reply.  I am using Affinity Photo.

I hope this is what you want.

The first image is simply a  png file that opens in GIMP both cropped and with a checkered background.

The second is a screen shot with the document menu open and a bit of the same image as it opens (not cropped and with a white background) in affinity photo.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Regards,

Dave Davis

limo.png

limo.PNG

1 hour ago, delpi767 said:

Note that the screenshot above as transmitted to you apparently does show a checkered background but on my screen it is completely white.

Check the brightness setting on your screen. I've seen at least one report from a user who had it set too high and washed out the checkerboard.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Okay, I have installed photo on an old machine ad the checkerboard background displays as it should.

I then uninstalled photo and reinstalled photo on the machine in question.  The problem remains.

1 hour ago, delpi767 said:

Okay, I have installed photo on an old machine ad the checkerboard background displays as it should.

I then uninstalled photo and reinstalled photo on the machine in question.  The problem remains.

We see the checkerboard background on the image you submitted. So that means not only Affinity shows the checkerboard on your machine, but also your screengrab tool can grab it perfectly fine.

So Affinity shows checkerboard (check), Windows can record checkerboard (check)... 

...than there's only one thing left: and that's your monitor.

8 hours ago, delpi767 said:

Thanks, but the brightness can't be the problem as the checkerboard shows perfectly with GIMP.

GIMP uses a much darker checkerboard pattern than Affinity.

By the way, as an alternative to monitor brightness, if you're on a laptop try adjusting the angle of the screen or your head position relative to the screen.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In the first screenshot below, I did this.

1. Opened new file with  transparent background selected.  I get a document with a completely white background
  2. Drew in black with the brush - note the checkerboard outline on the brush stroke.
  3. Erased a small section of the drawing.  Note it becomes a checkerboard.

Also, I can create a new document, flood fill it with black and then use the erase tool which creates a checkerboard.  If I then go over the same area with the erase tool, the checkerboard gets lighter with each pass.

There has to be a setting somewhere that I have screwed up but I've spent hours hunting and can't find it.

photo.PNG

photo_01.PNG

Hooray.  It was indeed the monitor, more specifically the contrast.

Curiously, I have two identical 4K monitors one on DP and the other on HDMI.

I was always viewing Affinity Photo on the HDMI one.  Had I moved it to DP I would have seen the checkeerboard and (hopefully) realized the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

-dmd-