You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BETA 1.7.2.414: Clone Brush Causes Shutdown

In Beta 1.7.2.414, using the Clone Brush will cause AP to shutdown without giving an error.  This happens after you select the source area and just as you begin to paint the area to be cloned when you are using a Pixel layer and have Source set to current layer and below. 

If you use the Clone Brush directly on the image your bring in to AP with the source set to current layer this error will not occur.  However, if you create a blank pixel layer above the original image and the source is set to "current layer and below" or "layers beneath" AP will shutdown 100% of the time without giving an error on shutdown or restart.

I think this is a serious error because a lot of people use the blank pixel layer above original image method to have a non-destructive workflow.

I am using Windows 10 with latest updates.

Confirmed here, crashes every time.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I get the crash here too under Windows 10 with latest updates. It happens only if I do it on a new layer.

The crash report is attached.

fd126569-56aa-4c15-8f66-f0fd59639dd0.dmp

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

crash here too, without bug report.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

Are you sure rudyumans that you tried it a on new layer set as "Current layer and below"?

It does not crash when the clone tool is used on the same layer as the image.

I got my crash report using File explorer as the program crashes without any error message box. 

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I can confirm that too. I'm on Win 10 Home. What's also weird is when I set the clone tool to "layers beneath" it works fine with the first selected target. But if I Alt-Click for another target AP crashes. With "current layer & below" it crashes immediately.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Did you all clean your registry  and empty your *.tmp files?

What I did was, I actually deleted the Beta when they came out with 1.7.1.404 as the released version.  So this latest beta was a clean installation on my computer and  not an update of the previous version. Not sure if that makes a difference, but so far so god.

No I didn't clean the registry nor deleted temp-files. It never caused any problems and I did who knows how many beta-updates in the last half year. In the actual release (1.7.1.404) the tool work as expected so it seems that is only in this beta-version. I#m confidend that the good people at Serif will fix this nearby.

16 hours ago, AlainP said:

Are you sure rudyumans that you tried it a on new layer set as "Current layer and below"?

It does not crash when the clone tool is used on the same layer as the image.

I got my crash report using File explorer as the program crashes without any error message box. 

I have try that to with three layers, and no found any problems under Win10 

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 2 weeks later...

Also the same bug wth beta .424 here too. And I have cleaned everything as mentionned above.

If I create two layers above the image and use the clone tool on the upper one set to current layer and below it does't crash. As soon as the middle empty layer is removed, subsequent use of the clone tool crashes Photo.

-- Macbook Air 15"

Still this bug, as described above. (cleaned as proposed)

The Bug is not reported as fixed.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

On 6/29/2019 at 9:09 PM, MarvinR said:

In Beta 1.7.2.414, using the Clone Brush will cause AP to shutdown without giving an error. 

I cannot confirm or reproduce.

Both, stable version and beta .424, do not cause me any problems with the Clone Brush. This applies to my desktop as well as laptop. Both i5 on w10.

It was not listed as being an item fixed in beta .424. However, I retested anyway and found that the situation remains as I originally reported on Windows 10. If you use the Clone Brush set to operate on the Current Level there is no error. But, when you use the Clone Brush on a blank pixel layer above the background layer with it set to operate on  Current Layer and Below or Layers Beneath AP will shutdown 100% of the time without giving an error on shutdown or restart.

In my testing on Windows 10 with latest updates, I find the situation with beta .424 unchanged from my original report. Since, there was nothing in the change list indicating work being done directly on the Clone Brush in beta .414 I would assume what has given birth to error that causes the crash is the side effect resulting from another fix and may be hard to track down because of that and because it appears to slip through error checking.  The developers will track it down.  As an end-user my job is to be patient.

As I mentionned above, the workaround I found till it's fixed is to create two pixel layers and use the clone tool on the top most layer set to current and below.

-- Macbook Air 15"

20 minutes ago, AlainP said:

As I mentionned above, the workaround I found till it's fixed is to create two pixel layers and use the clone tool on the top most layer set to current and below.

Yes, I appreciate that information. But, I am only using the beta for testing and am doing real work using the released version which doesn't have that problem so I wasn't looking for a work around, rather I was making a report on the beta so that the released version would not have this problem.  I just did test the work around as you mentioned AlainP just to see the results and the same error I initially reported occured. 

I am confident the developers will have a fix in place when making the next clean release.

Peace

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.