You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

100% red in document and color picker looks orange

Working with color in Affinty Photo remains illogical to me. This time I want to create an image from scratch in Photo on Windows.

I started a new document, a photo with Color Format set to RGB/8 and Color Profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I changed the units for the color selector to percentages and set the color values for red to 100 and for green and blue to 0. The resulting color does not look full red, but more orange/red. The attached file hopefully shows the problem.

That image is a screenshot of the new document in Photo that is opened as another document. Clearly visible is the difference between the color in the inner document and the Photo UI. The hex value of the inner document is #F7002D, for the UI it's #D63C20. Both are not #FF0000, which I expected for 100% red. I got these values by taking a new screenshot of Photo with the screenshot open, pasted that into Paint.net and picking the colors.

Is there a preference or other procedure to create a new image that forces Photo to display colors like other Windows software? These differences between Photo and browsers make it hard to imagine what the end result will when using Photo. For now, I switched to Paint.net because it handles colors as I expect.

To be sure this wasn't caused by some setting I changed, I retried with all preferences reset to their default.

affinity-color-selector.png

If you create a new document in Photo, with transparent background turned off, is the document background properly white, or does it have a color tinge?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks.

My next thought: Start another new document, duplicate the steps you took to set the color to Red 100%.

1. Use the color picker to examine the larger red color well. What color does the color picker show?
  2. Also, change the units from percentage back to RGB/8. What color is shown in the sliders then?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, kwebble said:

Working with color in Affinty Photo remains illogical to me. This time I want to create an image from scratch in Photo on Windows.

I started a new document, a photo with Color Format set to RGB/8 and Color Profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I changed the units for the color selector to percentages and set the color values for red to 100 and for green and blue to 0. The resulting color does not look full red, but more orange/red. The attached file hopefully shows the problem.

I see in your screenshot something is off indeed.

But if I do what you did in Photo here, as you described in the quote above, I just see a perfectly red color on 100% red and 0% blue and 0% green. So no orange here.

Sorry if I can't help you, but maybe it helps you to know it's not orange everywhere when doing what you described. Could it be something is off in your file? Like did you use transparancies or something like that in your color? (when changing the opacity slider in your color panel to something less than 100% the color also changes in the color panel color preview-circle.

[edit] I see in your screenshot for some reason your opacity slider is disabled. Not sure why and when this might happen. Maybe that's related to this problem?

no transparancy:

image.png.c341afc4f4e1ec41f43f03ec4c5879b2.png

with transparancy:

image.png.40406fed13ecca2fe4f717f1055283e0.png

7 minutes ago, Friksel said:

[edit] I see in your screenshot for some reason your opacity slider is disabled. Not sure why and when this might happen. Maybe that's related to this problem?

Good spotting. I've never seen that before; I wonder what it indicates. But I see that the Opacity slider was properly set to 100% in the initial (inner) document.

-- Walt
PC:

I just posted a bug issue about this, because it's not right that the color preview changes when opacity changes.

There's no way the color preview could ever know how the final result of a color mix with everything underneath it would look. So using opacity (transparancy here) into account with the calculation of the preview-color doesn't make any sense and is confusing and unexpected behaviour. We should see the actual result mix of the color sliders instead without influence of the opacity value.

Similar to what Walt suggested, I would go right-back to basics to try and isolate where the issue lies from there.  

Assuming you've already installed the latest version of Affinity Photo (1.7.1.404), try doing the following:

1) Go to [Edit > Preferences > Colour] and set the settings to the same as in the below screenshot:

001.thumb.png.cb93c6d50fce7da0945402d60fc25a0c.png

2) Go to [File > New] and open a new blank document using the same settings as in the below screenshot (pay particular attention to the 'Colour Format' and 'Colour Profile').  In this case the document is using a 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' document colour profile:

002.thumb.png.91b966f1d586ddfed32b892375269991.png

3) Does the red show correctly (red, not orange) in the colour panel, like the following screenshot?

003.thumb.png.c10f1bae23450a53d5d7c4e438397b50.png

4) Go to [File > New] and open a new blank document using the same settings as in the below screenshot (pay particular attention to the 'Colour Format' and 'Colour Profile').  In this case the document is using a 'ROMM RGB: ISO 22028-2:2013' document colour profile:

004.thumb.png.c6bd00d79b2c48c4d17825dc13176f36.png

5) Does the red show correctly (red, not orange) in the colour panel, like the following screenshot?

005.thumb.png.6812386bdfe5e67c93b9f498fcd83ec1.png

6) If in both cases above (I.E. using either a 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' document colour profile or a 'ROMM RGB: ISO 22028-2:2013' document colour profile) the red is still not showing correctly, then it's possible there could be an issue with your monitor colour profile.  

In which case, go to [Windows Control Panel > Colour Management > Devices tab].  Make a note of what colour profile is set for 'Display 1'.  Also make a note of what colour profile is set for any other displays as well—if you have more than one display (I.E. 'Display 2' in the drop down menu).

Then temporarily set the monitor profile for the monitor(s) to use the generic 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' ICM colour profile as the default profile for your monitor(s).  This will use a generic 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' colour profile instead of your monitor's colour profile.

002.png

7) Try from Step 2 again and see if red shows correctly in the colour panel now when using a generic 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' monitor colour profile instead of your monitor's colour profile.

8) If the colour shows correct when using a generic 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1' monitor colour profile instead of your monitor's colour profile, then that would indicate there's some sort of issue with the monitor colour profile.  In which case, you may be able to see if your monitor manufacturer has drivers on their website that contain a different ICM profile that you can try, or maybe see if you still have the discs that came with the monitor and get them from that, however these will possibly be the same as the ones you're already using.  If you know someone with a monitor hardware calibrator, you could also try creating a custom monitor profile with that and using that profile in Windows Colour Management. 

• 3 weeks later...