You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Back with the Mesh Warp / Distort Tool... Some considerations

Well, I decided to try VectorStyler on Windows and surely it's not pleasing to use (also a bit slow for me)... Anyway, I hope when this is implemented in Designer, it lives up to the expectations.

Best regards!

Yeah, I jumped at the chance to buy VectorStyler for $75 on the App Store when I saw it was available. 

In a very real sense I view it as an Astute Graphics type of plugin for Designer. Yes, I know it is not a plugin but a companion app but right now it is offering very worthwhile options for me that Designer lacks. The workflow is trivial in terms of getting stuff into Designer from VS. 

So, what would I use VectorStyler for you ask? Well what if I wanted to do a blend between a Square Star and a square over say 30 steps? And in that same blend I wanted the stroke of the square star to morph into the stroke of the square? AND I wanted the fill of the square star to blend into the fill of the square? AND I wanted the stroke color of the square star to blend into the stroke color of the square? AND I want to twist, curve the blend to make a sort of limb, tentacle, horn type of object?

Something like this:

1003980642_VStoDesigner.thumb.jpeg.8ae84ecc3e9336bd97102414d14b8704.jpeg

That is VectorStyler on the left and Designer on the right. I copy from VS and paste into Designer. In VS I can select that central line, that spine of the blend and shape it and I can shape both starting shapes to quickly get all kind of interesting objects. 

What if you wanted to blend two lines together to make sort of the basis of a flag, or fabric or a landscape, etc. In VS I can whip together a blend of two lines and copy and paste it into Designer in less than 10 seconds. Like this:

Lines.thumb.jpeg.f5c31c3a2641bb85fe3ce7ded6fed6de.jpeg

VectorStyler for me, is like my go to Astute Graphics plugin for Designer that lets me do flashier stuff that Designer is not capable of right now. I also use Lost Minds Vectoraster and Patternodes for similar reasons. 

On 6/24/2021 at 2:08 AM, Scungio said:

VectorStyler for me, is like my go to Astute Graphics plugin for Designer that lets me do flashier stuff that Designer is not capable of right now.

I'm using it the same, kind of like an external Affinity plug-in  - totally worth the £69 on MAS just for the basic functions like all manor of vector distortions, real proper, genuine vector brushes, blends, simplify paths, shape builder, blob brush, pattern fills, gradient mesh, + lots of other useful stuff

One problem - the 1.9 Affinity clipboard bug is still yet to be fixed. I'm guessing even if you de-select SVG clipboard in preferences, it still copies as SVG as it converts CMYK to RGB --- causing havoc with my workflow (all CMYK for print) although spot colours copy and paste just fine - copy and pasting from VS works as expected --- Fingers crossed for a fix soon?

Hopefully once the clipboard is repaired I'll have next to nothing to moan about?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 1 month later...

I am with you. For over two years I am complaining that one of the main tools for any vector application is still missing. Without Warp / distort, Af Designer is only a half baked solution.

Any other developer has such tools as one of the first functions available because it is so essential. Why does Affinity not understand this?

Recently a new app, VectorStyler, comes from Finnland and they have a great warp tool already.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-01 um 11.31.54.png

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Nifracer said:

Is this ever going to happen???

Will humanity ever discover extraterrestrial life?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

18 hours ago, Nifracer said:

Is this ever going to happen???

More than likely "yes", but I'm afraid not "soon enough". Even if it appears tomorrow, it still will feel "late".

Best regards!

2 hours ago, Mithferion said:

Even if it appears tomorrow, it still will feel "late".

If it had happened in 2015 it would have been late, although a lot of the sales spiel (lies) on the designer page would have been a little more believable  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk