You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking for the multiplication sign in the glyp browser, I experienced some difficulty finding it.

It appeared not to be in the group ‘Mathematic Operators’ but in ‘Latin - 1 Supplement’.

Looking further I noticed that the plus sign appears to be in ‘Basic Latin’, but the minus sign in ‘Mathematic Operators’.

Strange enough, to me at least, something similar with fractions: ¼, ½ and ¾ are in ‘Latin - 1 Supplement’, whereas ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, ⅞, ⅓ and ⅔ are to be found in ‘Number forms’.

Is it possible to show glyphs not only in their ‘native’ group, but also in a ‘logical’ group? For example: the multiplication sign in the group ‘Latin - 1 Supplement’ and also in ‘Mathematical Operators’ (like InDesign does)? Would make them easier to find.

I published this topic at first accidentaly in the Affinity Designer forum. You know: Designer / InDesign. Not the first time I clicked myself into the wrong direction.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

The glyph browser shows the characters as defined in Unicode, but it's an interesting idea to try to show them in more human categories.

If it helps, rather than browsing through the glyphs by going through the individual Unicode sets, you might consider searching for a character by name. For example, typing (without the quotes) "multiplication", or "minus", or "two thirds" into the search box.

That will also help you see the various alternative characters that exist. For example, there are several different multiplication symbols.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the tip, Walt. I didn't even know is was possible to find by name.

To be honest: I hadn't noticed the search box and recent glyphs yet. Would expect them to be in the top section of the panel.

The idea to show glyphs in more human categories isn't mine. It's what my beloved InDesign already does.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2