You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Stuck on View Tool

Hi,

Affinity Designer sometimes gets stuck on the View tool. This happens even if you’re not using the View tool. The Toolbar shows the Brush tool selected, but the cursor is the hand and the behaviour is the View tool’s. You can click in the Toolbox to change tools (you see the new tool being selected), but the cursor/behaviour is still the View tool’s; there is no way to get rid of it. It’s like the application crashed. However, you can still save your work, quit and relaunch. After relaunch, the application behaves normally…until the next time it happens.

Affinity Designer 1.7.1
Wacom driver 6.3.35-2
Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Thanks,

Simon

3 hours ago, dutchshader said:

this allmost sounds like the spacebar is stuck.

Interesting theory. However if that was the case, it would affect all apps and any text I write; and relaunching Designer wouldn’t by itself un-stuck it. So I’m doubtful.

I recently saw what at first I thought was the same 'stuck tool' problem, but for me it turned out to be that somehow I had enabled a feature of the software driver for my trackball that splits a left button click into separate 'mouse down' & 'mouse up' events -- IOW, clicking once is like holding the button down & clicking again is like releasing the button.

The weird thing about it was it only affected Affinity Designer & persisted after quitting & relaunching the app. Clicking the same button again that enables the separate mouse events (it is a different button on my 4 button trackball) returned everything to normal.

Is it possible something like that also applies to you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi simon bd :)

I can only find 1 similar report to this, the customer was using the Pan tool, and whilst panning used the Ctrl+S shortcut to save his document. This causes the Pan tool to get stuck in it's current state.

Is it possible you saved the file during a View tool operation?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Hi brandonj33

Welcome to the forums :)

Without your physical PC in front of me it's a little hard to say, however a CTRL reset should return your tools to normal.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.  https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan C,

Your advice to brandonj33 sounds good to me, and a good preference reset never hurts, so that’s what I just did on mine. As my issue occurs a bit randomly, I can’t really tell if this did the trick, and only time will tell, but it feels promising. Thanks for the insight!

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

This same thing has been happening to me since the 1.7.1 update and it's been driving me nuts. I haven't figured out what triggers it but once it happens the simplest way to use something other than the View Tool is to close the document and open it again. The funny thing is if I have more than one document open the second document won't be effected--meaning the tools all work fine in document 2 but not document 1. I sure hope y'all can find a solution for this because resetting the preferences is not a good fix. Closing and reopening a document, while not as disruptive as a preference reset, is still disruptive and frustrating.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having the same exact problem.  This usually happens when I'm zooming in and out using a combination of "command" + "spacebar" and clicking on my magic trackpad.  Like the others, it's driving me nuts as the only way to fix is to quit and relaunch.  Either this needs to be fixed or else someone needs to explain why it's happening and how to get out of it without going through this process of quitting and relaunching.  For the record, I'm using an iMac running 10.14.6 and I'm using Affinity Designer 1.7.2.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, Darrius0077 said:

Hallo guys! I have the exact same problem (the cursor stuck to the View tool, the hand), and I accidentally hit the space bar and it returned the cursor back to the black arrow tool. I hope this works for you too. 

Worked for me, amazing, thank you so much!!!