You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts seen incorrect in PDF format

@Robert St-Pierre

@Rodi is asking you to attach your original Affinity file, along with the resulting pdf to your next reply.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

After checking my PDF file it seem alright. Its when I send it to Mailchimp mailing, certain french word are miss spelled.

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/1fe0c97a1a2dc5f6ef8756167/files/065e931e-212b-4e58-8cb9-68ac3fa3ef83/Le_Survol_juin_2019_Mod0619juin.01.pdf

and the original Affinity file

Edited by Robert St-Pierre

@Robert St-Pierre

Thank you for the files etc.

I am not a French speaker though I can just about read the language fully, but I'm going to assume examples of your misspelt words are (in a sample form the pdf) as shown below?

ScreenShot00567.jpg.205e41843ed29dc9c1a6551f7fc5b8b6.jpg

If so, I see exactly the same in your AFPub file:

ScreenShot00568.thumb.jpg.f839ba6466fcf441f9aa50f151a6fa9d.jpg

This looks rather like a font issue, but you need the help of more experienced users than me to help you resolve the problem.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

27 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

This looks rather like a font issue

It does rather, doesn’t it! It looks to me as though it’s the same ligatures issue that has been raised in other threads: each occurrence of Ë should be a ti ligature. It should be possible to correct the error by selecting the text and turning off the ‘Standard Ligatures’ feature and/or the ‘Discretionary Ligatures’ feature via the Typography panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Has the text been imported from another program like Word or any other. Or has this text been created on a Mac or Linux computer... it looks like an ascii code problem, all "ti" are displayed as "Ë" . Calibri font works very well in French. This is a font I use often if French without any problem.

If the problem is only with the "ti" a "Search and Replace" will fix it quickly.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

20 hours ago, Alfred said:

It does rather, doesn’t it! It looks to me as though it’s the same ligatures issue that has been raised in other threads: each occurrence of Ë should be a ti ligature. It should be possible to correct the error by selecting the text and turning off the ‘Standard Ligatures’ feature and/or the ‘Discretionary Ligatures’ feature via the Typography panel.

The other threads about ligatures are about PDF import, (which is unsupported), not export. 
I'd humbly suggest that turning off all ligatures may not be desirable or viable in all circumstances.

18 minutes ago, benwiggy said:

The other threads about ligatures are about PDF import, (which is unsupported), not export.

I'm not sure what you mean about PDF import being unsupported. It certainly is supported: you can either Open a PDF document or you can Place (import) it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/30/2019 at 2:42 PM, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure what you mean about PDF import being unsupported. It certainly is supported: you can either Open a PDF document or you can Place (import) it.

No it isn't. Read this thread.  Currently, an imported PDF cannot be trusted to display any of the correct glyphs if it uses ligatures or OpenType variants. Some text elements can move, too.  The entire Affinity Suite cannot rasterize a PDF; import for editing; or place on a page correctly.

34 minutes ago, benwiggy said:

No it isn't. Read this thread.  Currently, an imported PDF cannot be trusted to display any of the correct glyphs if it uses ligatures or OpenType variants. Some text elements can move, too.  The entire Affinity Suite cannot rasterize a PDF; import for editing; or place on a page correctly.

Technically, PDF import is supported, but there are aspects of that support that need to be improved. That is, it doesn't work as well as we (or Serif) might like.

But the ability to Open or Place PDF documents is implemented, and advertised. Therefore it is by (at least one) definition supported.

Regarding ligatures and OpenType variants: Other threads have pointed out, regarding ligatures, that if the PDF properly includes the ToUnicode table, the characters will be properly understood, for example for spell-checking. Or they will work in spell-checking if the user chooses to prefer editability over visual fidelity when importing. I suspect that the same would apply to the OpenType variants, but have not made any attempt to test that.

I have quite happily opened PDFs that have worked quite well or with only minor glitches. So I will object to statements that say flatly that it is not supported. It is supported, with caveats or nuances that may or may not matter for any particular PDF or to any particular user for that particular user's purposes.

I will strongly agree the existing support should be improved.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Technically, PDF import is supported, but there are aspects of that support that need to be improved.

Did you read the other thread? A member of staff says the actual words "We don't currently support PDFs with embedded fonts". You can of course object and suggest that they support all aspects of PDF import except for that one, which just needs improvement, if you wish. But it's a pretty pointless distinction.

I've done the simplest of tests with PDFs from a range of creators, including Adobe, and they've come up a complete mess in Affinity. And only in Affinity. The characters may be understood, but the glyphs used in the PDF are not used. 

Currently any PDF with text cannot be relied upon to appear correctly in Affinity Suite. I eagerly await the day when this is no longer the case, but it needs stating now.

2 hours ago, benwiggy said:

Did you read the other thread? A member of staff says the actual words "We don't currently support PDFs with embedded fonts".

Yes, that's what he said. And based on other statements, I interpreted that as "we do not use the embedded fonts in PDF files".

They have said that you must have the matching fonts installed. If you have them, the PDF works.

They are different ways of saying the same thing, and neither phrasing says what you said, and what I objected to, "PDF import is unsupported".

PDF import is supported.
Use of embedded fonts from an imported PDF is not.

That is important, perhaps very important, perhaps even a deal-breaker for some category of Publisher user or potential users. Apparently for you. Not so much for me.

It does need to be fixed.

-- Walt
PC:

10 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

They have said that you must have the matching fonts installed. If you have them, the PDF works.

That doesn't work either. Even with the correct fonts installed, PDF imports don't use the correct ligatures and OpenType variants. Text objects also move. 

I'm going to offer you the compromise wording of "PDF import guaranteed for small minority of specially prepared PDFs!". 9_9