You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect export dimensions

Hi,

When I set a artboard for example with 1080px by 1920px or any other dimension when I try to export that artboard it always get 1081px by 1921px, it always add 1 pixel.

I do not have any objects larger that those dimensions so it does not seem correct.

Is there any reason for this ?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 11.46.00.png

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

You need to make sure that the artboard dimensions and the coordinates of its corners are integers. (You only need to check the position of one corner, of course, once you’ve checked the width and height.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,

I´ve checked and all the objects are smaller that the artboard dimensions so this shoudn´t happen.

And you are right the artboard coordinates are the problem, but when exporting the artboard the application should only care about the dimensions, is there a reason for coordinates change the exported size ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina 15" -  macOS High Sierra  version 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 & 1.71 + Affinity Photo1.6.7 & 1.7.1 + Affinity Publisher 1.71

1 hour ago, DesignT said:

Hi Alfred,

I´ve checked and all the objects are smaller that the artboard dimensions so this shoudn´t happen.

That’s good, but I didn’t actually say anything about object sizes!

1 hour ago, DesignT said:

And you are right the artboard coordinates are the problem, but when exporting the artboard the application should only care about the dimensions, is there a reason for coordinates change the exported size ?

You’d think that the app wouldn’t care about the artboard coordinates, but it obviously does! As I’m only a user like you, not a member of the development team, I’m afraid I’m not privy to the innermost secrets of the coding.

Alfred spacer.png

On 6/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, Alfred said:

make sure that the artboard dimensions and the coordinates of its corners are integers.

I am new to AfDesigner, did only experience AfPub yet. – Do you mean to achieve integers with this button in the middle?:

2081928669_artboardcoordinatespixelinteger.jpg.9b038a1bdb6c61272b20557879abcde9.jpg

It is useful only with document unit set to pixels, right?
For what use is it meant to become deselected if working in pixels?

When I toggle the ruler unit from pixel to mm then 1000 px become 84,67 mm. – What is the relation for this calculation?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

28 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I am new to AfDesigner, did only experience AfPub yet. – Do you mean to achieve integers with this button in the middle?:

What is needed here is ‘Force pixel alignment’. The ‘Move by whole pixels’ setting is almost the opposite: it ensures that if the original X value 545,2 px (or 545.2 px, as it is usually written here in the UK) the new value will retain the 2 after the decimal separator.

When I toggle the ruler unit from pixel to mm then 1000 px become 84,67 mm. – What is the relation for this calculation?

84,67 mm is 3,33 inches. At 300 pixels per inch, that is equivalent to 1000 px.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

‘Force pixel alignment’. The ‘Move by whole pixels’

Ah, that helps, thank you! – Glad I was in the right of the UI, have been searching in the help for "coordinates" but couldn't find any related to artboards.

"300 pixels per inch"

Aha again, thank you. This made me finally discover the document settings that I tried to click in the tool bar before, (like in AfPub), while the help did not know DPI or resolution.

4 hours ago, DesignT said:

the application should only care about the dimensions, is there a reason for coordinates 

Actually coordinates are the reason: in graphic computing coordinates are the basic – whereas dimensions are distances between coordinates. This difference counts, especially in AfDesigner, where you may create artboards of various dimensions and place them at free coordinates with free distances to each other.

Instead of adding or subtracting relative distances, the system needs only to know absolute coordinates and is, so to say, faster this way because it gets more information by coordinates. Coordinates are unique, distances need to be distinguished.

coordinates:    0       10       20       30
distances:        |   10  |   10   |   10   |

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 years later...

This is a silly bug that adds an extra pixel and exports the wrong size files. It's really an issue when Illustrator adds an extra pixel especially when working with pixel perfect graphics. So, here's the solution: Adjust the artboard/ canvas to the position which Axes X and Y would be INTEGER. Then export. Hope that helps.

Michelle