You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 hours ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

Is this likely to be addressed? I cannot find the earlier response from the beta days.

The issue only raises it's head on odd ocassions but when it does it's a pain for sure.

The response is the same as it has always been: it's a big job, and Serif have said it's one they'd like to do, but they have not said when they might do it.

My thoughts: It's a complex undertaking. While many users consider PSD as a "standard" format, it is really a proprietary one, and is only partly documented by Adobe, with some aspects being either poorly documented or not documented at all. And it changes at Adobe's whim.

I think that anyone who wants to create a PSD file with editable text basically has to do a lot of experimenting and reverse engineering of the file format to figure out how to make editable PSD text, supporting all the possible attributes that text would have. And then they need to keep doing that on into the future as Adobe makes further undocumented changes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

Thanks for a very informative post Walt.

Can you think of another way to deliver editable layers and editable text?

PDF may work. Or possibly SVG.

Best is to use .afphoto (or .afdesign or .afpub), of course :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Guys, this one is killing me. I am using Adobe XD for prototyping and for spec exporting. However, the text being converted to images is a death blow. Affinity does not even need to worry about all these cloud prototyping and exporting tools if they can just fix the export to psd. There is also a problem with masks not being correctly formatted. Yes, I can export to PDF and then use something like Photopea to then export to PSD. But the problem is the pdf export is exporting at double the size? i.e. my canvas is 1000 pixels wide, its exporting as 2000