You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Brush Tool 'Wet Edges' Turning On/Off By Itself After Using Erase Brush Tool

Sometimes the Paint Brush tool 'Wet Edges' setting turns on by itself after using the Erase Brush tool, even though the settings for both the Erase Brush tool and the Paint Brush tool are set to 'Set wet edges off'. 

It also happens in reverse too—where the Paint Brush tool 'Wet Edges' setting turns off by itself after using the Erase Brush tool, even though the settings for the Paint Brush tool are set to 'Set wet edges on'. 

After manually toggling the 'Wet Edges' setting in the context tool bar, the problem disappears for a while, only to return later. 

I think the issue is caused due to a discrepancy between the 'Wet Edges' setting in the brush context tool bar and the 'Wet Edges' setting in the brush settings.

Steps to reproduce 'Wet Edges' turning on by itself:

Steps to reproduce 'Wet Edges' turning off by itself:

-----
Windows 10 - 1903 (18362.207)
Affinity Photo - 1.7.1.404 

• 10 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, Chris B said:

Hey - S -,

Looks like this might just be a Windows bug as I cannot reproduce it on macOS. Thank you :) 

It does happen in  AP 1.8.3 on macOS. Problem for debugging is that the misbehaviour happens only intermittently and with no consistent trigger identified yet.

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since the original post was made, but I'd like to confirm that this is still an issue. I am on a Windows machine as well. To duplicate the bug, you simply need to draw/paint then erase, then switch back to drawing/painting, and the Wet Edges option becomes toggled creating inconsistency in the brushes.

• 7 months later...

18.1.22 - I'm using a MacBook with Big Sur and my Son is using a Windows 10 laptop. We both had this issue this morning and it is a regular occurrence. Not regular enough though that I remember what to do each time my opacity goes strange for no reason. Its the kind of thing which if left unnoticed in a complex pixel design or retouch could be a very costly fix.

2 hours ago, limbertink said:

18.1.22 - I'm using a MacBook with Big Sur and my Son is using a Windows 10 laptop. We both had this issue this morning and it is a regular occurrence. Not regular enough though that I remember what to do each time my opacity goes strange for no reason. Its the kind of thing which if left unnoticed in a complex pixel design or retouch could be a very costly fix.

This topic is about an issue that is believed to be specific to Windows. If you hit it on Mac, you may be experiencing something different. Please start a new topic and provide full details of what's happening, with screenshots and perhaps a video of it happening. Thanks.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1